First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
I know exactly what you mean with varying performance. I truly believe all of the Rangers do this but some of us are more sensitive to "mechanical feel". I do not think there is anything wrong, just a characteristic of a heavyish vehicle+ turbo 4 banger+ a beefy 10-speed transmission.

if you want to "correct" I think a tune is the way to go. This engine seems to be very sensitive to changing temps and very cold temps.
Yeah I have the livernois and use the softer shift tune. I had flashed not to long ago so it was probably still relearning.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I've noticed one more possible factor. This is still not completely confirmed, and I don't know exactly WHY this might be happening, but I think it has something to do with the drive-by-wire throttle or the programming associated with it.
This truck likes smooth and progressive throttle application. Several times I have just "floored" the throttle, expecting a massive rush of power, and it just says "meh... Not today, papi." and just falls on its face. Other times, I can start out more normally, but just keep opening the throttle as it gains momentum, and the rush builds to more satisfying levels...
I have not had the time or place to test this more systematically, and my truck still has difficulty idling properly, so this may not be a reliable tip, but maybe somebody else can chime in with additional opinions. We like those around here.
One way to confirm your thought is to get a pedal commander or sprint booster. I ran PC on my last two jeeps and I thought they were great. More so on the manual jeep jk than my auto jeep jl.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5