First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Question for those of you running the Livernois tow tune. Does it change the shift points at all in normal drive with tow/haul off? Or is it the same as stock/their other performance tunes?
I'm running the soft shift performance tune at the moment, but thinking of trying the tow tune. If it moves the shift points up a bit like the tow/haul mode does that would be great.
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
It does change the shift points and I didn't like it for every day driving so as soon as I wasn't towing it was back to the performance tune for me.

To me it seemed to rev too high and I didn't like the feel. That being said I thought it did really well while towing.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I hated the 1-2 shift on that tune. Went back to 91/93 SS the next day. Then it tossed a CEL for the crank angle sensor that the calibration box had a fix for... thankfully.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Then it tossed a CEL for the crank angle sensor that the calibration box had a fix for... thankfully.
There was a fix for the CEL in the tuner? More details please.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
IdahoRanger is spot on. I have the tow/tune installed currently. But I tow weekly. If I’m not towing for a week or 2 it’s back to the 93 performance tune. When not towing the towing tune shifts at 3k plus rpms. Even when being easy on the throttle.

OP
OP

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Are the downshifts with the tow tune also aggressive like in tow/haul mode?
Seems like what I'm after is halfway between the performance and tow tunes.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t think the downshift is aggressive at all. I wish they were a little more aggressive. I think we are after the same in between downshift shift strategy lol.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think the downshift is aggressive at all. I wish they were a little more aggressive. I think we are after the same in between downshift shift strategy lol.
I would have to disagree - that was why I didn't like the tow tune for everyday driving. I thought the downshifts were too aggressive when not towing, especially going downhill. I'm on the 91/93 performance tune now and prefer it. I went to the non soft shift tune thinking it might be easier on the trans.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
There was a fix for the CEL in the tuner? More details please.
I wanted to try out some other tunes. So I switched back and forth over a short time. I think it was when I went back to 91/93 SS I got a CEL. Immediately. Oh no. Checked the codes; crank sensor relearn code. Don't remember the exact code. Tried to clear it.. nope. Tried my other scan tool. Nope. Crap.. dealer.. oh no... not good.

Panic continues. Flash to stock. Code stayed.

Flashed to 91/93. Code stayed.

Checked tools on the my calibration box thing and saw crank relearn. It was a bit annoying waiting for the truck to hit the right temp as it was cool outside but once it was there it gave simple instructions to Rev to X Rpm and hold. Then Stop. Then do it again. 4 times maybe?

Code cleared on its own once that procedure was done and never came back.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I would have to disagree - that was why I didn't like the tow tune for everyday driving. I thought the downshifts were too aggressive when not towing, especially going downhill. I'm on the 91/93 performance tune now and prefer it. I went to the non soft shift tune thinking it might be easier on the trans.
That’s interesting. I wonder what the difference is between our towing tunes shifting wise. I did notice a considerable difference in shifting when I changed out the part in the bucking surging thread. It smoothed out the shifts so much. Before I changed that part out the shifts with the 93 performance tune were super aggressive. Especially 1-3. Now they are firm but smooth. The wife noticed it immediately. I wonder what Livernois take on all of this would be? I’m happy with their tunes just curious.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I use the 87-89 performance tune and like the hard fast shifts. Downhill it will drop to 6th gear to hold speed.

The tow tune dropped gears much quicker and down to 5th gear which I didn't like but I haven't towed a lot of weight where that might help.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I run the firm shift 87-89 performance tune an it shifts fine IMO but it still lugs the engine at too low an rpm around town. Sometimes I lock out the higher gears an sometimes I just push the tow mode button when I'm driving around town at 35-40 mph. Tow mode you get a lot of engine braking when slowing down. The rpm increase in tow mode vs sport mode is about half the increase, around 500 rpm vs around a 1000.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH