"Leveling" Kit for towing reasonably heavy

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I want the better shocks and coilovers of something like the FRP Fox Leveling kit. BUT I tow fairly heavy fairly regularly, so I don't want my headlights pointing at the sky. Is there someone out there that has one of the fancy leveling kits and has "unleveled" the truck for this purpose? I'm looking at the Fox kit because it seems to be the most reasonably priced, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has used it or something similar for this purpose.

-Chance
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I want the better shocks and coilovers of something like the FRP Fox Leveling kit. BUT I tow fairly heavy fairly regularly, so I don't want my headlights pointing at the sky. Is there someone out there that has one of the fancy leveling kits and has "unleveled" the truck for this purpose? I'm looking at the Fox kit because it seems to be the most reasonably priced, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has used it or something similar for this purpose.

-Chance
Eibach's seem cheaper and you can choose front end height from 0-3 inches.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you seeking a leveling kit that is quickly and easily unleveled for towing and then leveled again?
Generally I would like to leave it "unleveled" and just have better shocks and springs for when I'm not towing. Eventually when I lift the truck (< 2" is my goal), I will leave it similarly unleveled just taller.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle

-Chance
Level it the way you want it with no tow weight, adjust headlights to match, then add Air Lift or similar to the rear to compensate when loaded/towing.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Eibach's seem cheaper and you can choose front end height from 0-3 inches.
Chance, I have the Eibachs on the rear and I just purchased the fronts but have not installed yet. Big difference on just the rears. Bret

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
When my son in law levelled his cummings 2500 he towed a toy hauler with he added the air bags that added air to keep it level no matter the weight on the back. It wasn't a cheap solution an involved an air compressor an controller install.

If you want better front struts without the lift the Bilstein's an Eibach's can be set at stock height for the better ride. I guess you could set the fox coil overs at stock height, they come set at 2" lift.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chance, I have the Eibachs on the rear and I just purchased the fronts but have not installed yet. Big difference on just the rears. Bret
Are the ones you have called "Pro Truck Coilover 2.0"? or is it the "Pro-truck Lift System"?

The Lift System comes with rear shocks, but doesn't look adjustable while the coilovers are definitely adjustable, but are nearly as much as the FRP kit (i guess 200$ or so less which is decent).

So if you could tell me exactly what front and rears you have that would be great.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Are the ones you have called "Pro Truck Coilover 2.0"? or is it the "Pro-truck Lift System"?

The Lift System comes with rear shocks, but doesn't look adjustable while the coilovers are definitely adjustable, but are nearly as much as the FRP kit (i guess 200$ or so less which is decent).

So if you could tell me exactly what front and rears you have that would be great.
Pro truck level is what I have , the 2.0 are true coilovers. I got them on sale at stage 3 for 175 for the rears and 199 for the fronts. Bret

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red
Could go with the OME kit which I believe includes a new leaf pack that would lift the rear at the same time as the front. Or just get the better coilovers and set them at 0" lift

Edit: forgot about about add a leaf. That + fox is about the same as the OME

Last edited:

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
+1 for OME suspension and towing if you want to lift the entire truck but keep the rake.

Alternatively, the Bilstein 5100 kit is all 4 shocks for less than $400 and can apparently be adjusted from 0-3" in the front. No rear adjustment. From what I've read, the Bilsteins are damped more firmly which can often result in a more comfortable ride for some.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
+1 for OME suspension and towing if you want to lift the entire truck but keep the rake.

Alternatively, the Bilstein 5100 kit is all 4 shocks for less than $400 and can apparently be adjusted from 0-3" in the front. No rear adjustment. From what I've read, the Bilsteins are damped more firmly which can often result in a more comfortable ride for some.
I assume this kit involves me disassembling the stock fronts and using the factory springs and cups?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Following along, as I have the same goal. I would like the Fox 2.0 kit, but haven't seen info on setting them lower than the shipped 2" lift. The Blisteins look to have very obvious set points. I'd like maybe 1" front lift.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
The Bilsteins would require disassembly. Are you installing yourself? If it were me, I'd get a shop to take the springs off and on for you. They should have equipment that does this, not some janky spring compressor.

The Fox's are different. The shock body is threaded allowing the lower spring perch to thread up and down the shock body which adjust the height. Keep researching and you'll find what works for you. It's all good stuff.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
The issue you've suggested you want to avoid is headlight direction under towing load. The only way you can avoid having your headlights pointed at the moon is to maintain their proper level while loaded vs unloaded. That's it - whether you're at stock height or lifted - scenario doesn't change.

So the solution is then: A) eliminate rear squat when loaded (but this makes no-loaded driving poor) or B) install something that either limits squat; extra leaf, different jounce bumper and/or load leveling hitch OR install something to returns the rear to the proper height after loading (air bags).

Good luck.
Sponsored