"Leveling" Kit for towing reasonably heavy

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red
The issue you've suggested you want to avoid is headlight direction under towing load. The only way you can avoid having your headlights pointed at the moon is to maintain their proper level while loaded vs unloaded. That's it - whether you're at stock height or lifted - scenario doesn't change.

So the solution is then: A) eliminate rear squat when loaded (but this makes no-loaded driving poor) or B) install something that either limits squat; extra leaf, different jounce bumper and/or load leveling hitch OR install something to returns the rear to the proper height after loading (air bags).

Good luck.
Not speaking for OP but I took it more as he just doesn't want them aiming up. If you're level and load the rear then they'll point up. If you have rake and load the rear then the truck will be level and they'll point straight.
Sponsored

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Whenever I know I'm going to be towing at night, I'll cut out a couple of strips of some static cling tint and put it over the top of my headlights just so it lowers the cut off back down below oncoming drivers line of sight. I use to use blue painters tape, but the tint allows my high beams to still be functional. It's not fancy, but it's cheap and functional.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The Bilsteins would require disassembly. Are you installing yourself? If it were me, I'd get a shop to take the springs off and on for you. They should have equipment that does this, not some janky spring compressor.

The Fox's are different. The shock body is threaded allowing the lower spring perch to thread up and down the shock body which adjust the height. Keep researching and you'll find what works for you. It's all good stuff.

I have an air actuated spring compressor, but I hate trying to get the top nut off of those things... I'll pay a premium to get a ready built set :) I'm thinking of either the Eibach or the Fox kit, though I saw a kit from Falcon that has some adjustable settings specifically for tow/haul...

Too many options...

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I have an air actuated spring compressor, but I hate trying to get the top nut off of those things... I'll pay a premium to get a ready built set :) I'm thinking of either the Eibach or the Fox kit, though I saw a kit from Falcon that has some adjustable settings specifically for tow/haul...

Too many options...
I always use an impact to get the nut off and sometimes even back on. The Fox's are priced well for what you get but they all do about the same thing. I dropped several grand on a set of coilovers once and realized I would have been equally happy with a spring/strut combo, but I'm a SUCKER for nice suspension.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I want the better shocks and coilovers of something like the FRP Fox Leveling kit. BUT I tow fairly heavy fairly regularly, so I don't want my headlights pointing at the sky. Is there someone out there that has one of the fancy leveling kits and has "unleveled" the truck for this purpose? I'm looking at the Fox kit because it seems to be the most reasonably priced, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has used it or something similar for this purpose.

-Chance
If you tow often a leveling kit is not your freind. Now if you do go off road then I suggest a lift kit. More particular the Old Man EMU lift kit. Yes I have towed and it does just fine. Now if you dont want to go off road then I suggest the Bilsteins as you can pick a somewhat level(1 inch from stock) and have great comfort and control as well.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
If you tow often a leveling kit is not your freind. Now if you do go off road then I suggest a lift kit. More particular the Old Man EMU lift kit. Yes I have towed and it does just fine. Now if you dont want to go off road then I suggest the Bilsteins as you can pick a somewhat level(1 inch from stock) and have great comfort and control as well.

Hope this helps.
So the intent is to get a leveling kit and set it to the stock level to get the better shocks and still maintain the rake. I do tow a lot so being level and having lots of bed or tongue weight is going to mess up the headlights.

most of the kits say 0-3” pf lift, I’m looking for essentially 0.

I may just get eibach or fox rears and forget about the front for now, but I do go light off-road once in a while so I’ll probably lean towards the frpp fox kit.
Sponsored