Lets talk auxiliary fuel setup (but with electrical pumps).

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I want to start formulating a plan for additional onboard storage of fuel. I built this thing to eventually be self contained and fuel is a key component. I don't need to be able to transfer fuel on the fly. So stopping to refill is fine. However I do no want gravity fed or pump action.

Option 1: Something thin/tall, but spans the back of the bed (like installing it along the back bed wall). This is the ideal setup. Then an electrical pump mechanism and nozzle I can run a power connection to. My main problem here is finding a DOT approved transfer tank that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I want to be as budget minded as possible, but still retain proper safety. I have no idea the dangers of say using a tank approved for diesel fuel nor the legal implications on a privately owned / non-commercial vehicle.

Option 2: Large standard fuel cans that I can in turn screw on an electric powered nozzle. I could always use multiples for the capacity I want and build a containment box to store them in. My main problem here is I have only found battery powered nozzle pumps and the transfer rate is less than impressive.

Option 3 (no go unless absolutely required): Install a gravity operated tank on the top rack of my platform, or build a tray on the underside (ceiling). In this case I would want the most low profile (flat as possible), but longest tank (not to exceed 58").

I am still debating capacity, but something between 20-30 would be fine, but larger if Option 1 can be established. Space is at a premium on my land whale gunship. haha

This particular topic is completely new to me, so if you got some ideas or links to products then lets talk.
Sponsored

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I have dead space under and behind my box that houses my retractable bed cover. If I do it I want bigger than 5 gallons, this one would double my fuel capacity and range. If it would fit and can be secured. Being plastic it should be easily removed when not needed. The website below has many other options

"TOPSIDE FUEL TANKS - THE TANK SOURCE" https://thetanksource.com/topside-fuel-tanks/

Screenshot_20210207-084759_Google.jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
You look at https://rotopax.com/ yet? As far a pumps go look at marine ones. Just make sure they’re rated for using gasoline. Diaphragm pumps come to mind but their GPM capacity is less than desirable.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm not sure how much range you are wanting to get but something that is in the works is a replacement fuel tank that has a bigger capacity. The factory tank is 19 gallons and the replacement is expected to be between 30-35 gallons. And if that does well you can still get Jerry cans to help with range.

And yes we have a thread about it.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure how much range you are wanting to get but something that is in the works is a replacement fuel tank that has a bigger capacity. The factory tank is 19 gallons and the replacement is expected to be between 30-35 gallons. And if that does well you can still get Jerry cans to help with range.

And yes we have a thread about it.
Yea I know about that thread.
Sponsored