Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rene,

My only real concern is crash worthiness...not sure how the FMVSS regs apply to aftermarket tanks. They may not address aftermarket tanks.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Just adding to what Phil said. The OEM tanks have roll over shut off valves in the event of a tip over. If you locate a replacement tank, be sure to check for this.

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Just adding to what Phil said. The OEM tanks have roll over shut off valves in the event of a tip over. If you locate a replacement tank, be sure to check for this.
Hi Rene,

My only real concern is crash worthiness...not sure how the FMVSS regs apply to aftermarket tanks. They may not address aftermarket tanks.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You're probably correct about the replacement. I do like the idea of having it in the bed. Pretty much the same thing as having a couple of gas cans back there, but setup in a way that maximizes space.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Do they make any of the tool box styles for gasoline? My dad had a 70 or 90 gallon tank in his f250 diesel.

rojizostang

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 sport, 2017 Ford Explorer limited, 2013 Ford F150 RCSB Roush tvs supercharged
how is it integrated into the existing fuel system?

OP
OP
Rene Michaels

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Do they make any of the tool box styles for gasoline? My dad had a 70 or 90 gallon tank in his f250 diesel.
I have seen some in-beds with a toolbox. Won't work for me though because I have a retractable bed cover.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I've been looking for a box tank since I bought the truck. There are lots of options in steel or aluminum, but nothing seems to fit between the wheel wells, and under a tonneau cover.

I had a welder lined up, but 5 months on and no progress. I can stick weld, so I think I am going to buy a mig/tig welder and build my own tank over the winter.

44" x 18" x 8" ish

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've been looking for a box tank since I bought the truck. There are lots of options in steel or aluminum, but nothing seems to fit between the wheel wells, and under a tonneau cover.

I had a welder lined up, but 5 months on and no progress. I can stick weld, so I think I am going to buy a mig/tig welder and build my own tank over the winter.

44" x 18" x 8" ish
Is that even legal in Canada? I read somewhere that it's not legal in most of the US, but obviously that won't matter much to you.

On the Tundra, my new truck, you can get a 26 or a 38 gallon tank. Luckily I have the 38 gallon tank.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Is that even legal in Canada? I read somewhere that it's not legal in most of the US, but obviously that won't matter much to you.

On the Tundra, my new truck, you can get a 26 or a 38 gallon tank. Luckily I have the 38 gallon tank.
Under the Canadian Fuel Act you can only transport fuel in an approved container, which applies to all fuel transfer whether a small plastic/metal Jerry can or truck box mounted tank. They have to be approved for fuel.

Under Ontario driving regulations for personal vehicles external transfer tanks are legal, provided they are not connected to the vehicle's fuel system. Transfer tanks only.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

44" x 18" x 8" ish
Hi Jay.

There's a 30 page thread on long range fuel tank here that may have some answers for you.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Back in the day I made a 30 gal fuel tank out of a non returned Beer Keg (after I emptied it of course), mounted in the back of my truck, welded a fill cap and petcock into it and used a transfer pump and line into a 90Âş elbow fitted into the trucks fill neck. It would fill the trucks tank from 1/4 to full 2 times with the flick of a switch. Don't think you could do that now, another reason I loved the 60's.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Regarding the other thread, as much I like the idea of a larger under bed tank, absolutely not at the cost of lowering the bottom of the tank at all. That's a deal breaker for me.

The options that fit my wants are very few, but I ordered a DNAMOTORING 19 gallon aluminum tank ~29.5"x12"x12". It's going in the box, with vent to underside of the truck, ball valves at all vents and ports for off-road spill and roll-over protection. If it fits the way I hope, I may add a second down the road.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01M0X8HVH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored