LEd fog lights and radio interference and damage?

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so i swapped hi beams and low beams and fogs to white leds about 6 weeks ago. all good. auxitos. all good.
then decided to go with the yellow auxito fog lights. i have noticed that when i put fogs lights on, i get radio static on some more distant stations. just driving around local, i do not hear the static. example, was coming up the mountain the other day and with highs on, station came in clear. when i turned highs off and it went to lows/fogs, some static. if it kept them on low and turned off fogs, static went away.

i don't really care about the static as long as it's not causing some other electrical damage.

thoughts?
Sponsored

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
It shouldn't cause any electrical damage, with caveats.

Low cost, poor quality drop in bulbs or LED pods typically ignore any type of EMI filtering to keep costs down. The built in LED driver is generating RF energy and is transmitting that energy through the cabling acting like an antenna that then interferes with your radio reception. Installing a ferrite choke can help with the interference.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
similar thing happens in places that have a lot of lightning during storms etc. the static can be heard on many a.m. radios. When i was a kid (no smart phone or computer an only a few tv channels) we would turn on 820 am and listen to weather reports and judge how close the storm was based on the amount of static coming in over the broadcast.

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
There are aftermarket plug and play solutions for EMI filtering like Cyron that have the correct adapters and plug inline. These also can fix flickering issues. YMMV due to it would be hard to create a singular EMI filter for every drop in LED bulb.

steig

First Name
Steig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Engineer
Ferrite Choke may help, they make snap on ones that go around the wires. Fairly cheap, may be worth a try.

Dbuster

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Fx4
Occupation
A&P
I have the Auxito high beams and yellow fogs with no issues, how ever my Auxbeam ditch lights cause a lot of radio static.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised radio music still exists in 2022...it could be the Chinese Auxitos don't care for Country music...

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Ferrite Choke
I bought a 7" LED knock off headlight for my harley an had massive interference. The Ferrite things didn't help me at all. I had to get a device that went between the light an the wiring harness to filter it out. The only LEDs I added to the ranger is yellow fog lights an I haven't had a problem.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I replaced mine with Diode Dynamics and haven't had any issues.
Sponsored