First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Short story: the addition of the yellow LED instead of stock halogen fog has improved my night time off-road comfort. There is a more uniform and bright wash in front of and to the side of the truck that makes squirrelly terrain easier to understand at night. The white may or may not be a good DRL replacement, but it doesn’t do as good a job as yellow at night.

another update after a few weeks more: work great as above, and we have been using them regularly. i have started using them in addition to the standard low/highs at night as they increase the visibility without getting into oncoming eyes, as far as i can tell. i have not been knowingly flashed yet, and the throw doesnt seem to go above the standard low beams in any significant way when i compare them with the top of the low beam pattern projected on close objects in front of me.

they provide me (with the standard low/high beams) ample light to do the nighttime offroading we are capable of. i did however finally get the dreaded yellow-white dissynchrony (once). but only after vigorously honking at an elk in the dark. somehow some electronic confusion resulted from the honking. i turned them off for 30" and when turned back on, back to sync'd white as expected.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

I would just like to praise the yellow colored fog lights once again. It was sporadically dense fog this morning on the drive into work around 6am. Strange since it was 10F and it was in pockets of super dense fog and then you'd come out and it'd be perfectly clear. Anyways, I set my dual color fogs to white mode when leaving the house, like I usually do, since it wasn't foggy at home. A few miles down the road I hit my first fog wall and was immediately blinded by the white lights. I flipped them to yellow mode and could quickly see much further than I had moments before. They're a real lifesaver sometimes.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking of switching to LED Fogs and came across this thread. I am currently looking to swap in Lariat LEDs (but not sure that even works!).
Very cool! Love the idea of both colors.
I have already done Bambi mode so that wont be an issue. But i also enable the fog light turns. When you turn right the RH side fog light comer on and vice versa(fog lights off as he default). This would certainly be kinda odd toggling between white and yellow.
But you all got me thinking!

I noticed the ALLA ones have active fan cooling, any long term issue with the fan dying? Its in a pretty rough environment

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Thinking of switching to LED Fogs and came across this thread. I am currently looking to swap in Lariat LEDs (but not sure that even works!).
Very cool! Love the idea of both colors.
I have already done Bambi mode so that wont be an issue. But i also enable the fog light turns. When you turn right the RH side fog light comer on and vice versa(fog lights off as he default). This would certainly be kinda odd toggling between white and yellow.
But you all got me thinking!

I noticed the ALLA ones have active fan cooling, any long term issue with the fan dying? Its in a pretty rough environment
i can see how indicator fog lights would be interesting. with the ALLA ones we have, it might not matter thoguh as as long as you dont indicated twice wtihin thirty seconds or so (which IIRC is how long the driver takes to reset to default white). so it would always fire up the white LED color in most cases.

regarding fan, i did not remember that mine had a fan. but ours are still working as expected this far out. we have been in the rain a lot, some ice. rarely deep puddles. no actual fording water that would get up to where the fogs are.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
i can see how indicator fog lights would be interesting. with the ALLA ones we have, it might not matter thoguh as as long as you dont indicated twice wtihin thirty seconds or so (which IIRC is how long the driver takes to reset to default white). so it would always fire up the white LED color in most cases.

regarding fan, i did not remember that mine had a fan. but ours are still working as expected this far out. we have been in the rain a lot, some ice. rarely deep puddles. no actual fording water that would get up to where the fogs are.
Good point on the reset. But I wasn't that clear on the functionality. It's actually triggered by the angle of the steering wheel and is set very low, like 1-3 deg. And so far no possiblity of adjusting that higher.

Thanks for the feedback!

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Good point on the reset. But I wasn't that clear on the functionality. It's actually triggered by the angle of the steering wheel and is set very low, like 1-3 deg. And so far no possiblity of adjusting that higher.

Thanks for the feedback!
oh- so every time you turn even a little bit the fog on that side lights up? then your car is going to look like a rave with these dual lights if youre going throguh a parking lot. depends on whether that is what you are going for...

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
oh- so every time you turn even a little bit the fog on that side lights up? then your car is going to look like a rave with these dual lights if youre going throguh a parking lot. depends on whether that is what you are going for...
Yes indeed! LOL - I am contemplating the value of the turn feature vs dual color fogs.
Went back to the Amazon description:
Built in Fan Cooling and aviation aluminum heat material for longer lifespan
But it also claims - Waterproof: IP67 , which means fully submerged for up to 30min!

Have some cheep white ones on order ($16) while I think about it!
Thanks again!

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Got a set of Alla dual color fog bulbs and so far, they seem great! Initially starting the truck in the dark with fogs on, they did change color on me from default white to yellow; but they appear to be compatible with auto start-stop and don't change colors during restart. However, I've only had 3 start-stop encounters with these bulbs so far.

The color is interesting. The yellow is more of a orange color, like a light amber color. The yellow diodes project the light a few degrees higher than the white diodes, but the beam is still lower than my low beams.

All in all, pretty happy so far.

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
Just installed my Diode Dynamics yellow LED fog lights. Get more fog than snow probably here in North Carolina, and I just love the difference in the look of the vehicle. Does anyone have these installed? The little metal box does it need to be secured as to not melt anything around it?

IMG_20210306_191630_135.jpg

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a $100 gift card from my Health insurance - apparently I am healthy!
So decided to try these LASFIT switchbacks.
I like the fact that there is a machined lip to block light, I assume in the up direction to control oncoming driver issues. We shall see.
1619552096303.png

Lots of reviews out there and seems good. More expensive, but I had to spend the $100 somewhere!
And some Specs:

Plug Type: H8/ H9/ H11
Usage: Fog Light
Package includes: 2 Bulbs
Interior/ External Driver: External
Voltage: DC 9-16V
Wattage: 60W/set (30W/Bulb)
Lumens:
White Light: 6000LM/set (3000LM/bulb)
Yellow Light: 6000LM/set (3000LM/Bulb)
Color Temperature:
White Light: 6000K
Yellow Light: 3000K
Lifespan: Over 30,000 hours
Certification: IP67 Water and Dust Seal, CE, RoHS

I am still worried about an exposed fan under the truck. We dont get much winter here in NC, but when we do its usually wet and freezing. A water logged frozen fan could be bad. If I am lucky the LED would thaw it before the motor burned up!

And I need to turn off the Fog light when turning in ForScan

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Installed!
Work well
White is definitely not shining high, yellows do shine high, but its more wash than direct light.
I'm HAPPY
Sponsored