First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I know there are a ton of open positions available out there for folks with QC experience. I’m in the medical devise world and filling these positions is difficult to say the least. This is a national problem too! Seeing this is your expertise I would do searches for QC type positions. Get in the door and ether it fits or you continue looking while getting paid. Best of luck and you can get through this!
Sponsored

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, unfortunately I was affected by the tech layoffs earlier this year. I've had a hard time finding a new job. I am active in interviews, and have good opportunities, but still no offer yet. I'd really hate to lose my truck, and def don't want to return it and pay fees for cosmetic damage + miles.

I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before. I'm really really hoping I land a job before the lease runs out, so I can finance to buy it out. My credit score is good, but I won't have any cash to put down, or proof of the same solid annual income that I had last year.

Considering the circumstance, what would you recommend here? Is it possible I can still finance the truck before I land a job? Or is it time I just pick up any hourly job I can get and use that to prove I currently have reliable income? Lease ends July 1, 2023 and I'm in Los Angeles.
Get an hourly job until something better comes along. Waiting could put you in a bad position very fast. I feel for you bro, I had to come out of retirement and nab a couple of side jobs. Hang in there and do your best! What goes around comes around.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I know there are a ton of open positions available out there for folks with QC experience. I’m in the medical devise world and filling these positions is difficult to say the least. This is a national problem too! Seeing this is your expertise I would do searches for QC type positions. Get in the door and ether it fits or you continue looking while getting paid. Best of luck and you can get through this!
Really?

When I did component level electronics repair for a Telcom contractor our QC folks were the most technically unskilled on our floor. Sure they could look at a solder joint and tell if it's good. And they could tell if somebody needed to clean their board better.

But the couldn't fix a TV remote with a bad battery if their life depended on it.

In my experience QC is a low skilled job. And to QC websites? Anybody could do that.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Really?

When I did component level electronics repair for a Telcom contractor our QC folks were the most technically unskilled on our floor. Sure they could look at a solder joint and tell if it's good. And they could tell if somebody needed to clean their board better.

But the couldn't fix a TV remote with a bad battery if their life depended on it.

In my experience QC is a low skilled job. And to QC websites? Anybody could do that.
All kinds of QC Doug. If you’re doing ISO standards it’s very detailed. Statistical analysis and mini tabs to show you have control over a process. Then once engineering says that’s the way we’re going to run this job it’s up to quality to assess if that setup/machine/operator can make to spec parts. That takes an IQ, OQ, PQ approach to compile a spreadsheet of all the variations and if they are within acceptable margins, or engineering is going back to the drawing board. Now floor inspectors or the likes, not that skilled for the most part.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
All kinds of QC Doug. If you’re doing ISO standards it’s very detailed. Statistical analysis and mini tabs to show you have control over a process. Then once engineering says that’s the way we’re going to run this job it’s up to quality to assess if that setup/machine/operator can make to spec parts. That takes an IQ, OQ, PQ approach to compile a spreadsheet of all the variations and if they are within acceptable margins, or engineering is going back to the drawing board. Now floor inspectors or the likes, not that skilled for the most part.
Ok that makes sense.

I would've thought that engineers and designers could QC themselves. But I forgot about people's ability to market themselves so well that they create a whole new position/industry. :cough: Looking at you Safety Engineers :cough:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
with the amount of "job seekers" pouring into the southern border every minute yall that have a job and will take any job to get by and man up etc. better be damn good and ready to compete with all the new "immigrants". This is not political. It is fact. We have more workers coming than we have jobs and infrastructure for. Jobs that are easily attainable quick are typically jobs that do not pay enough to live on, require a certain age and or skill. Bad stuff happens to good folks including hard workers. sure happens to lazy asses too. I have two jobs. going to school again too. One is what I hoped would be a career and the other is the had to man up job and I still have to save up to be broke. If I lost one I would be in the same shape as the op. folks are fast to label people and situations when it is not the one they have to live in. I found out today that may first job is upping education reqs while lowering pay. awful nice of them. that means guys like me that have been around for a while and paid the dues and worked hard are soon to be screwed. they could replace me with a younger lower cost person at will.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody CAN QC websites, but to do a GOOD job of it, requires quite a bit of skill and knowledge. And when I say website I mean a web app, not a static site.

Good QC/QA people are VERY valuable to a team. IMO, the problem is that there are not enough GOOD ones. There are a few good ones, some mediocre ones, and a bunch of crappy ones.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Anybody CAN QC websites, but to do a GOOD job of it, requires quite a bit of skill and knowledge. And when I say website I mean a web app, not a static site.

Good QC/QA people are VERY valuable to a team. IMO, the problem is that there are not enough GOOD ones. There are a few good ones, some mediocre ones, and a bunch of crappy ones.
I guess all of my experience is with the crappy ones. And there must be a ton of those.

Look at the newer Android Auto update. All this hype, for what? Nothing, no new capabilites or anything. Just the album art and song title being visible all the time.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I guess all of my experience is with the crappy ones. And there must be a ton of those.

Look at the newer Android Auto update. All this hype, for what? Nothing, no new capabilites or anything. Just the album art and song title being visible all the time.
I'm showing my age here, but one thing that drives me nuts about software these days - it is all about the LOOK. For years, I've told people "it doesn't matter what it looks like if it doesn't work". I've always maintained that function is more important than form - but that does not seem to be the trend with most software - it is more important that it LOOK good. How it functions always seems to be secondary. And UX folks seem to like to change things just for the sake of change - not necessarily an IMPROVEMENT, but just "different".

Wow, that was quite off topic. Apologies all.... Its been a week at work....

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I'm showing my age here, but one thing that drives me nuts about software these days - it is all about the LOOK. For years, I've told people "it doesn't matter what it looks like if it doesn't work". I've always maintained that function is more important than form - but that does not seem to be the trend with most software - it is more important that it LOOK good. How it functions always seems to be secondary. And UX folks seem to like to change things just for the sake of change - not necessarily an IMPROVEMENT, but just "different".

Wow, that was quite off topic. Apologies all.... Its been a week at work....
As an outsider who only uses the tech I couldn't agree more.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
My last job I got when I was 65 but tick-tock I doesn’t get easier..
I got laid off in 2003 and was unemployed for 8 months, by Sept I was seriously looking at Bankruptcy it was during the serious dow turn in the IT industry and everyone was laying off. I decided to do a search for "jobs in Iraq" and by Oct 1st I was hired and by Nov I was in theater making serious bank I had just hit 50. 13 years later I was back in the states and looking for work again. I landed a 6 month contract job in 2017 in Camp Pendleton then in 2019 I was 65 and still looking when I found this job. it was pretty obvious that there was some age discrimination going on but couldn't prove it. During the interview for this job I told them that I was planning to work till I was 70 so would guarantee them 5 good years. I was told by my boss later that I was the only guy out of 6 or 7 that everyone on the interview team agreed unanimously could do the job. Grateful everyday that they chose experience and age over certs and youth. This is the last job I will every have. Started pulling SS while I work will do that for a couple of years before finally hanging it up.

Costco is not a career, lets be clear on that lol
no ons thinks Costco is a career .. but not many companies match their pay and benefits to start. its a place holder, cash in your pocket while you look for something more in line with your career choice.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I got laid off in 2003 and was unemployed for 8 months, by Sept I was seriously looking at Bankruptcy it was during the serious dow turn in the IT industry and everyone was laying off. I decided to do a search for "jobs in Iraq" and by Oct 1st I was hired and by Nov I was in theater making serious bank I had just hit 50. 13 years later I was back in the states and looking for work again. I landed a 6 month contract job in 2017 in Camp Pendleton then in 2019 I was 65 and still looking when I found this job. it was pretty obvious that there was some age discrimination going on but couldn't prove it. During the interview for this job I told them that I was planning to work till I was 70 so would guarantee them 5 good years. I was told by my boss later that I was the only guy out of 6 or 7 that everyone on the interview team agreed unanimously could do the job. Grateful everyday that they chose experience and age over certs and youth. This is the last job I will every have. Started pulling SS while I work will do that for a couple of years before finally hanging it up.

no ons thinks Costco is a career .. but not many companies match their pay and benefits to start. its a place holder, cash in your pocket while you look for something more in line with your career choice.
Yeah I’m supposed to get my first SSA payment tomorrow.. California unemployment specifically says to NOT report those earnings..

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent

I know a couple of people that has made Costco a career choice and doing very well.. there’s room to move there too..

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
This thread makes me realize how truly wonderful it is to be retired and of course owning a Ford ranger. looking for a job can be more stressful than having one.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
QC folks generally speaking, from my experience, are not at engineering levels. That doesn't mean they aren't skilled, and suggesting they are unskilled is rather short sighted.

For reference, I worked in an engineering lab building 'electronic stuff' for the navy in the 80's. I moved on (got laid off) in the late 90's and changed careers to IT.

QC for general soldering FAB work, well, you aren't really doing much. Check a solder joint, check for clearance of the coating between boards. Done.

Move up in the food chain and QC means much more. Thinking all QC is 'dumb work', is dumb.

And, FWIW, engineers CAN'T QC ourselves, because we don't think our shit stinks! We need laymen to tell us it does. ;)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.