Lariat Owners who have Upgraded from Stock LED Fog Lights -- Thoughts?

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
To those of you who have upgraded from the Lariat's stock LED fogs to an aftermarket options, I have the following questions:
  • What is your use case for the fog lights? (Off road lights, weather lights, etc.)
  • To which brand and model did you upgrade?
  • Do you feel that the upgrade resulted in a worthwhile & cost effective improvement in lighting performance?
  • Any issues or regrets after the upgrade?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
What’s the issue with stock led’s that you are considering replacing? Why not simply add to what is there?

OP
OP

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Just curious to see if there are any options to get a little more light output from the stock fog location, mostly for the purposes of occasional nighttime driving off-road or in desert/rural areas. I understand that adding light sources up high is better for off-road stuff, but don't need or want to add extra pods elsewhere on the vehicle.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I upgraded to the Diode Dynamic SS3 Max White. I was trying to get more light off to the sides of the road and the SS3 Max while incredible expensive absolutely accomplished what I was looking for. The are, to be honest, insanely bright over the stock LED and really light up the sides of the road.

Zero issues and zero regrets!

The bad part........horrible to take out the stock ones and install these.

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
What makes it so difficult? Their website says plug n play? Hard to get to I assume?

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I have on order the Diode Dynamics SS3 Max Yellow and can't wait. The install is different than the Ford Performance due to not replacing the whole plastic cover. You don't have to remove the bumper and that stuff. You do have to remove the tires. They are direct replacements plug and play but not super easy. There is a video somewhere on doing it??

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
OP
OP

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I upgraded to the Diode Dynamic SS3 Max White. I was trying to get more light off to the sides of the road and the SS3 Max while incredible expensive absolutely accomplished what I was looking for. The are, to be honest, insanely bright over the stock LED and really light up the sides of the road.

Zero issues and zero regrets!

Do you have any issues with fog light aiming and blinding oncoming drivers with the SS3 Max? I am looking at those, but intend to use them on the road occasionally and don't want to be a nuisance.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
What makes it so difficult? Their website says plug n play? Hard to get to I assume?
Very tight area to work in with 4 tiny screws holding the lights in. My hands looked like I got in fight with a pack of feral cats when I was done! Lol.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Do you have any issues with fog light aiming and blinding oncoming drivers with the SS3 Max? I am looking at those, but intend to use them on the road occasionally and don't want to be a nuisance.
I don’t think you’ll make many friends with them. Haha. They are bright. I have them aimed the same as the stock lights (took measurements on my shed before I installed them) if I pass 30 - 40 cars I’ll get one that will flash me. If I’m driving in town I leave them off…..but they are amazing on back roads!

OP
OP

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I don’t think you’ll make many friends with them. Haha. They are bright. I have them aimed the same as the stock lights (took measurements on my shed before I installed them) if I pass 30 - 40 cars I’ll get one that will flash me. If I’m driving in town I leave them off…..but they are amazing on back roads!
Perfect -- back roads and off road are exactly my use case. I leave mine off 95% of the time. Thanks a ton for the input!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Are any of you who have upgraded your fogs intersted in selling the stock LEDs? I dont know if they will fit in my XLT but interested in trying.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Which Primary Optic do you have ?

Image 1489.png
Sponsored