Lane assist surprised me today

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Bicycles are worth points. :lipssealed:
Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other traffic on the road. They are NOT pedestrians and the failure to recognize that fact (from either side) can be dangerous.

In February I was riding Inside Highlands Hammock State Park on my RB1 when some JACKASS came off a county road, ran his stop sign, and broadsided me. He was clearly exceeding 30+ MPH and accelerated as he turned onto the park road which has a speed limit of 15MPH.
My bike was destroyed and I suffered seven broken ribs and a punctured lung.
The driver sped off and left me for dead.

This road would normally have been filled with families and small children and the results could have been a lot worse.
I am still recovering and the prognosis is good.
Be careful out there and take care to show a little courtesy whether you are driving a car, motorcycle, or even a bicycle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
I turned on acc and tested lane keeping by letting go of the wheel. It started warning me not to take my hands off. Lame!
Yes, we would almost have self-driving trucks and all 5G members could eat their morning cereals from bowl in their truck while driving not only few high skilled of us.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Thing is up till now I loved it, but I never made an avoidance move before. Sometimes you hear made up excuses for an accident and don't believe them. I could see someone in this situation saying the truck did it if they weren't holding on tight and clipped the bike. Now I would believe them.
that brings to mind a car/bicyclist crash some yrs back in Vail CO where the car was a new mercedes and the driver attempt to use new car upholstery fumes as causing him to pass out, same defense was used by a Tesla driver in CA who killed a cyclist, in CO the auto was driven by a wealthy fund mgr, injuring a MD , the fund mgr was IIRC only charged with a misdemeanor made to pay the victims medical bills because if convicted of a felony he would lose his fund mgmt job and couldn't pay the victims medical bills. But good to hear you avoided the cyclist, auto cyclist crashes have predictable outcomes. Oh - story courtesy of those good ol boys over at TFL - from 2010 - and of course the other story involves a Tesla, surprised he didn't use electro magnetic waves as his excuse.

https://tflcar.com/2010/12/attorney...il-cyclist-blame-mercedes-benz-new-car-smell/
https://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/10/tesla-new-car-smell-fatal-cyclist-crash/

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Heading to my doctor's today for an appointment I got surprised when lane assist took control. On a county road that just has center lines I came around a corner and there was a bicyclist riding on the side of the road. There was a car comming in the opposite direction and I had plenty of room to go around the bicycle. As I crossed over the center line my lane assist quickly started steering towards the bicycle. It was the most force I had ever felt from it and good thing I had a good grip on the wheel. Scared me some because if I hadn't had a firm grip there could have been a bicycle down. I guess it may have seen the oncoming vehicle and over reacted but there was plenty of room to safely go around the bicycle. I did have the lines in about the center of my Ranger when it really started to get forceful. I wanted to give the bicyclist plenty of room. Just a first time surprise that scared me some and I may turn that feature off now.
Hi Ed,

I disabled assist right away. My friend in the Ford autonomous car arena told me the calibration engineer on Ranger was way too aggressive on his calibration in my friends opinion.

Best,
Phil

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
You're right and that's how it's designed. The problem with it is when you don't always have time to put your blinker on and you need to react quickly it fights you. I've come across object in the road or a tire retread blown off and it's hard to get around it if you need to cross the line. With that said I've had to many close calls with it and never use it.
I turned it off after the wife was driving and going into a right hand curve where it only was detecting the center line , it steered to the right so much it almost ran her off the shoulder. Since there was no line at all on the right side of the lane it was just going to put her into the tree line . It should only work if it clearly sees both a center and shoulder line IMO. Just like I was behind a line of slower cars for so long once that I had forgotten the Adaptive cruise control was on and when I moved over to the left lane it quickly made an attempt to get to 70mph again. I was in a 35mph zone at the time and meeting a cop,LOL. Sometimes these advanced nannies can get you into trouble instead of preventing it :(

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I've turned off lane keeping assist in my last two vehicles. A Subaru Crosstrek and now the Ranger. They can't reliably tell the difference between a re-routed lane or a repair and the new lane continuation that deviates from the old path. Dangerous, when your own car tries to run you off the road.

We are being used as lab rats in a giant dystopian experiment in several fields of industry. Self-driving cars are an interest of DARPA, and you can imagine they would be of great utility in military applications. But we are paying the development costs in blood and tears when they release incomplete or buggy robots on the public roads.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Heading to my doctor's today for an appointment I got surprised when lane assist took control. On a county road that just has center lines I came around a corner and there was a bicyclist riding on the side of the road. There was a car comming in the opposite direction and I had plenty of room to go around the bicycle. As I crossed over the center line my lane assist quickly started steering towards the bicycle. It was the most force I had ever felt from it and good thing I had a good grip on the wheel. Scared me some because if I hadn't had a firm grip there could have been a bicycle down. I guess it may have seen the oncoming vehicle and over reacted but there was plenty of room to safely go around the bicycle. I did have the lines in about the center of my Ranger when it really started to get forceful. I wanted to give the bicyclist plenty of room. Just a first time surprise that scared me some and I may turn that feature off now.
If you have time to signal as if you are making a pass, the lane keeping is negated. I live in an area with a couple county roads favored by bicyclists, & joggers and neither have designated bicycle lanes. I have my lane keeping off because of this very scenario. I had my Mariner in for a new half shaft and had an Edge loaner for a day, with all the latest nanny-tronics, including not only lane keeping but lane centering. Really disturbing when you want to move a little in your own lane to avoid a pothole or debris.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
interesting, not my experience at all with crash avoidance. It has only come on once for me and im glad it did, saved me from a crash.
I wonder if it also reads the rear sensors; what if it tries to dynamite the brakes with traffic behind you? Rear enders are usually the fault of the following driver, but is the front vehicle partly at fault for relying on the pre collision, if it could be determined that an evasive maneuver would have been preferable?

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Signal a lane change and it will not fight you on it, at least it has not for me.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as other traffic on the road. They are NOT pedestrians and the failure to recognize that fact (from either side) can be dangerous.

In February I was riding Inside Highlands Hammock State Park on my RB1 when some JACKASS came off a county road, ran his stop sign, and broadsided me. He was clearly exceeding 30+ MPH and accelerated as he turned onto the park road which has a speed limit of 15MPH.
My bike was destroyed and I suffered seven broken ribs and a punctured lung.
The driver sped off and left me for dead.

This road would normally have been filled with families and small children and the results could have been a lot worse.
I am still recovering and the prognosis is good.
Be careful out there and take care to show a little courtesy whether you are driving a car, motorcycle, or even a bicycle.
Oh man, I feel your pain. I had a very similar injury - self-inflicted during a mountain bike race - three ribs and the lung plus some other stuff. Internal bleeding from this type of injury can be very dangerous and the recovery is very long. Every deep breath is so painful and don’t even think about laughing, sneezing, or coughing. I’m glad you’re on the mend and that the prognosis is good. It’s going to be a long eight weeks - I hope you’ve gotten used to sleeping on your back.

Remember: Bones heal and chicks dig scars. ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Oh man, I feel your pain. I had a very similar injury - self-inflicted during a mountain bike race - three ribs and the lung plus some other stuff. Internal bleeding from this type of injury can be very dangerous and the recovery is very long. Every deep breath is so painful and don’t even think about laughing, sneezing, or coughing. I’m glad you’re on the mend and that the prognosis is good. It’s going to be a long eight weeks - I hope you’ve gotten used to sleeping on your back.

Duke - how about getting out of bed in the am, torture, can't imagine having 7 broken ribs

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Duke - how about getting out of bed in the am, torture, can't imagine having 7 broken ribs
Seven? Ugh!

My ex-wife would give me so much grief whenever I came back from a race weekend with an injury that I actually tried to hide that one from her. ? ? ?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

Sleeping on my back, half sitting up..... miserable, It took several minutes with help to get out of bed.
We were in our Scamp trailer at a campground .
Thanks.... your comment and dtech's are right on,
and of great comfort.
Sorry for your experience(s) wouldn't wish them on anyone!
(Well, maybe the the hit and run driver) ...Nah, not really! :rolleyes:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
lane assist can be dangerous. ive had it pull the truck within inches of crashes several times. kinda like truck was out to get me. any place the roads have old worn lines or construction with old and new revised lines lane assist kinda flips out.
and we wonder why self drive cars worry folks.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I'm guessing many of you have never driven a vehicle with no power steering at all. Go do some push-ups or something. The reaction this provides is nothing in comparison.
Sponsored