Lane assist surprised me today

R_Willis

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Cherokee
My lane keep assist (which I cranked up in settings), barely does anything compared to my girls '20 Honda Civic.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
A quick way to override lane assist us use your turn signal. It overrides it and keeps it quiet!
You're right and that's how it's designed. The problem with it is when you don't always have time to put your blinker on and you need to react quickly it fights you. I've come across object in the road or a tire retread blown off and it's hard to get around it if you need to cross the line. With that said I've had to many close calls with it and never use it.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
You can adjust the setting so it just vibrates the steering wheel and not steer for you.
After mine tried to turn me towards oncoming traffic because of an asphalt repair line (im guessing anyway.. but it sure as hell tried to move me to the left)... I switched mine to the rumble only at the next red-light.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I played with Lane Assist just enough to know I didn't like it and turned it off.

Crash Avoidance flashes at the craziest times as well. It once went off when it saw a freezer metal wire shelf laying flat in the road. It caught me completely off guard. I turned around to determine what set it off and found the 2'x2' flat wire rack in my lane. I drove over the the rack 3 more times at different speeds and it never went off again. I will be turning Crash Avoidance off as well.

interesting, not my experience at all with crash avoidance. It has only come on once for me and im glad it did, saved me from a crash.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Hi Ed, I turned mine off after the first week, hated the feeling.
Crash avoidance, still on, only came on once as I was about to do a
90 degree turn @ 50mph & a big tree was straight ahead.
Freaked me out a little with the lights/alarm.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely hate that technology!! It scared the crap out of me the first time it took over......
I keep that turned OFF!!

Worse than that is the automatic braking on my Kona!! You can't turn it off no matter what!!
It will hurt you if someone stops quick in traffic.....

OP
OP
Fordup

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
After mine tried to turn me towards oncoming traffic because of an asphalt repair line (im guessing anyway.. but it sure as hell tried to move me to the left)... I switched mine to the rumble only at the next red-light.
I never had it give me more then a small nudge before. Mine is on vibrate now. It is one of those fun novelties that can't react to certain conditions where you do a quick avoidance without thinking about using the blinker because there is plentyof room. I thought there may be something wrong with mine but it sounds like it's just normal operation.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I didn’t care for the steering wheel being pulled. Switched mine to the vibrate warning. Helpful when I’m texting. Thinking it would be easier to just drive with my hazard lights on. Cyclists had adequate warning to stay clear.

OP
OP
Fordup

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
You're right and that's how it's designed. The problem with it is when you don't always have time to put your blinker on and you need to react quickly it fights you. I've come across object in the road or a tire retread blown off and it's hard to get around it if you need to cross the line. With that said I've had to many close calls with it and never use it.
Thing is up till now I loved it, but I never made an avoidance move before. Sometimes you hear made up excuses for an accident and don't believe them. I could see someone in this situation saying the truck did it if they weren't holding on tight and clipped the bike. Now I would believe them.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I absolutely hate that technology!! It scared the crap out of me the first time it took over......
I keep that turned OFF!!

Worse than that is the automatic braking on my Kona!! You can't turn it off no matter what!!
It will hurt you if someone stops quick in traffic.....

This is getting off topic from me, but my first drive home in the Ranger I didn't have time to look everything over and the sales guys were super tired of me keeping them two hours past closing to finish the deal.

So.. very much dark outside

I didn't know about the auto highbeams. That really hate my neighborhood. I thought I might be having a seizure or something. That has been turned off. Maybe good for middle of no where driving but not for me.

The autobrakes are still on. They don't seem to crazy as far as them stepping in over the last year. Really went off once thanks to a bike over the top dodging a car that stuck its nose over the stop line. I do get yelled at by the wife when that damn warning goes off. That red flashing can be a bit over the top at times.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
This was why I turned mine off. I was going to miss an exit on the interstate and started changing lanes at the last moment with plenty of clearance from other vehicles, and my truck fought me. I did not signal, but I don’t want my truck telling me what to do either! :sunglasses:

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
I hate it. I don’t share steering wheel and driver’s area while I drive. It was weeks after I got my truck when I finally tested it out of curiosity. Didn’t like and it doesn’t drive my truck for me if I switch on also ACC. That would make my truck rock! :rockon:

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I hate it. I don’t share steering wheel and driver’s area while I drive. It was weeks after I got my truck when I finally tested it out of curiosity. Didn’t like and it doesn’t drive my truck for me if I switch on also ACC. That would make my truck rock! :rockon:
I turned on acc and tested lane keeping by letting go of the wheel. It started warning me not to take my hands off. Lame!
Sponsored