OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Following this post! I'm really just interested in the White DRL's and the ambers for turn signals. I'm not a huge fan of the startup show. Is all of that adjustable when you wire it up?

No, unfortunately it appears the start up sequence and the constant on white are all tied to the same wire. There is no external module box, the programming all seems to be self contained inside the DRL housing which is sealed.

Would be kind of neat to see this grill and the Alpharexx headlights turn on at the same time tho.
Sponsored

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looking pretty cool man! See you this weekend.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it works!

I hooked up double connectors for the normal sequence, so if I want to I can pop the hood and move over the other connection. Figured why I had everything apart might as well leave access to quick connect/disconnect.

IMG_20211215_091226.jpg

bzmotoninja83

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2014 Focus 2000 Explorer 1987 Goldwing
I dig it man.... Now to convince myself to spend money on something other than christmas gifts

i like it

but......

mentally doing the math exchange to Can$, shipping, duty and brokerage fees, i'm probably north of a $1000 now.
Come on man.... the exchange rates for Cannuckistani copecks to freedom dollars isn't that bad....

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so in the fairness of keeping people advised on this grill I've encountered two problems both of which I'm communicating with the seller to see what their response is.

1. I encountered some pretty heavy rain and some steady light rain on the trip to Atlanta on Sunday to meet up with @Glocker before he bugs out of the state and runs away to old peopleville. Notice this afternoon I've got some slight condensation in both LED housings towards the bottom. Normally every light that I purchased on Amazon I seal with gasket maker to prevent this. I had completely forgotten to do this when I installed it. So yes at the end of the day a manufacturer's defect they need to address but I also forgot my usual routine so that's kind of on me as well.

2. The Amber function works fine on both units and the startup sequence and constant white on the right unit works fine but on the left unit everything works fine but on the steady white there is a dead spot in the LEDs at the end where it hooks up into the c shape.

Luckily both the LED housings are inserts that bolt on to the rear of the grill so I'm going to see what the seller's response is if he's going to send replacement housings or whatever. If their response or resolution isn't going to make me whole in some form or fashion where the grill is usable I'll simply return it to Amazon and get the afn style which I was planning to do anyhow before I discovered these.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so in the fairness of keeping people advised on this grill I've encountered two problems both of which I'm communicating with the seller to see what their response is.

1. I encountered some pretty heavy rain and some steady light rain on the trip to Atlanta on Sunday to meet up with @Glocker before he bugs out of the state and runs away to old peopleville. Notice this afternoon I've got some slight condensation in both LED housings towards the bottom. Normally every light that I purchased on Amazon I seal with gasket maker to prevent this. I had completely forgotten to do this when I installed it. So yes at the end of the day a manufacturer's defect they need to address but I also forgot my usual routine so that's kind of on me as well.

2. The Amber function works fine on both units and the startup sequence and constant white on the right unit works fine but on the left unit everything works fine but on the steady white there is a dead spot in the LEDs at the end where it hooks up into the c shape.

Luckily both the LED housings are inserts that bolt on to the rear of the grill so I'm going to see what the seller's response is if he's going to send replacement housings or whatever. If their response or resolution isn't going to make me whole in some form or fashion where the grill is usable I'll simply return it to Amazon and get the afn style which I was planning to do anyhow before I discovered these.
It was good meeting up with ya, even if it was just briefly! That rack is a BEAST!

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Vendor is sending me a whole new unit (grille). This one I will properly seal like I should have in the first place.

Bonus, told me to keep the old one, so now I have one I can attempt to take a part and tinker with and have spare parts.

IMG_20211222_161215.jpg

IMG_20211222_164457.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
New grille on the way from the seller should be here in a few days.

Took this time to pull out the old grille and start taking it apart to see if I could discover the source of the leaks. So first thing, the trim on the LEDs are held in place by some trim tape. You can remove them if you slowly and carefully use a small flat head. This will come in handy when I go to "amberize" the new ones. Second of all it seems the lens and body of the LEDs are sealed pretty damn good. Whatever they used I couldn't find a gentle way to bring them apart without worry of cracking something. Its either a perma-gasket of some sort, or they do the old plastic fuse method.

So the only source of the moisture ingress I could locate is each LED has 2 holes, or what I assume is their idea of a "breather". Thing is the holes are covered by a small "filter" sticker. The picture doesn't show it, but is is literally a tiny mesh sticker. Yea well the new units are getting these holes plugged with sealer.

I took one to screw around with starting to paint and see how they would come out. I've been using a 2,2,2,2 coat sequence between yellow and orange to get the classic dark amber look. In this case the LEDs are so bright I probably need to finish with 4 coats of orange instead of 2.

IMG_20211227_085633.jpg

IMG_20211227_085656.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
New grille on the way from the seller should be here in a few days.

Took this time to pull out the old grille and start taking it apart to see if I could discover the source of the leaks. So first thing, the trim on the LEDs are held in place by some trim tape. You can remove them if you slowly and carefully use a small flat head. This will come in handy when I go to "amberize" the new ones. Second of all it seems the lens and body of the LEDs are sealed pretty damn good. Whatever they used I couldn't find a gentle way to bring them apart without worry of cracking something. Its either a perma-gasket of some sort, or they do the old plastic fuse method.

So the only source of the moisture ingress I could locate is each LED has 2 holes, or what I assume is their idea of a "breather". Thing is the holes are covered by a small "filter" sticker. The picture doesn't show it, but is is literally a tiny mesh sticker. Yea well the new units are getting these holes plugged with sealer.

I took one to screw around with starting to paint and see how they would come out. I've been using a 2,2,2,2 coat sequence between yellow and orange to get the classic dark amber look. In this case the LEDs are so bright I probably need to finish with 4 coats of orange instead of 2.

IMG_20211227_085633.jpg

IMG_20211227_085656.jpg

Squid lighting... ? ?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
My curse strikes again. I'm not quite sure the source of the curse but perhaps I played with too many Legos as a kid.

So I'm just sort of cleaning up around the garage and I happened to lay two pieces next to each other and I said wait a minute. Kind of like in the movies where you see letters and numbers floating around the main character as he's pondering deeply how to save the world the redneck version happened to me.

I have this constant urge to create and fabricate one off pieces and now my mind is stuck on this;

IMG_20211228_192121.jpg

IMG_20211228_192139~2.jpg