K&N Air Filter - Now Available

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I’m surprised someone agreed with me. I figured I’d get criticized for not loving them.
I'm more surprised there aren't more people aware. I thought it was pretty common knowledge by now.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Had one on a Mustang GT in Florida. Lots of sand made its way past the filter. Never again.
In Alaska people have to go to double air filters on their vehicles do to the tremendous amount of sand in the air on their non paved roads...I guess a CAI would be out of the question in fla also. I live on a one mile dirt road when it’s dry it’s terrible...I just through a towel over the intake until I get to the end of the road...
Regards
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
In Alaska people have to go to double air filters on their vehicles do to the tremendous amount of sand in the air on their non paved roads...I guess a CAI would be out of the question in fla also. I live on a one mile dirt road when it’s dry it’s terrible...I just through a towel over the intake until I get to the end of the road...
Regards
Doc
B T Y......sand will go through any filter...

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
They do have the pre-filter socks for cone filters.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Ive used a few K&N,s years ago and didnt think much about it, but I learned more as time went on. If you are staying pure street(paved) they may be fine.

They make them for my bike(DR650) and they are frowned on in the dual sport or dirty big bike category as well, for the way the let fine particles by. Ive seen guys run them on the street but never without a prefilter if venturing "off road"

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Ive used a few K&N,s years ago and didnt think much about it, but I learned more as time went on. If you are staying pure street(paved) they may be fine.

They make them for my bike(DR650) and they are frowned on in the dual sport or dirty big bike category as well, for the way the let fine particles by. Ive seen guys run them on the street but never without a prefilter if venturing "off road"
I’m a drag racer...I have had k and n filters on my 1200 Harley, on 2 of the gsxr 600 s and on the gsxr 1000 but that’s all light street and heavy strip ....no dirt, but I still run the Harley..883/1200 conversion, Andrews N4 cam, Barnett clutch, pirelli sticker tire on the back, 7000 rpm brain and next but not least...we are installing a pingle air shifter and an msd 2 step.so far no problems with k and n....
Regards
Doc

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
I ran K&N filters on street bikes for years without any issues. With that said I will not run a K&N filter on a forced induction engine.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Anyone ordering one soon interested in a free hat offer? I just need a name and email address. If you make a purchase, the trade up offer counts, of $50+, we both get a free K&N hat.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line is the only way to get more air in is to have bigger holes. Or a bigger filter.

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people over oil them and I've seen several check engine lights because of it. Often not cleaned as often as should be either. I no longer use them.
Correct. If you oil them as instructed, the residual oil when collect on the Mass Airflow sensor. Then they throw a check engine light because the O2 sensors detect an incorrect mixture caused by MAF sensor showing less air than is actually flowing through the intake.

If you use K&N, you need to use a MAF Sensor cleaner (aerosol spray) a couple hundred miles after Re-servicing the K&N filter with new oil. But people forget to do that and it just continues to collect oil/dirt on the sensor, badly effecting performance until it throws the Check Engine Light. When I used to see them in the shop, I would clear the code, clean the MAF sensor, and throw the K&N in the trash. Presto!

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I have the AFE dryflow fliter and like it so far. Not out for the trucks yet.

Deleted member 773

I had a tuned 6.7 F-250 with a big turbo and deleted exhaust, with a race tune, the oversized k&n cone filter would start to collapse under heavy acceleration..
Sponsored