Update on K/N CAI: 63-2612 K&N PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I have been following this on their site and it has shown "out of stock" for many months so I finally called their customer service. It is still out of stock and they have 24 orders in the que but only expect to receive 22 from production. Their advice was to place an order to get in the que, not giving any indication of when they would have additional units ready.
Sponsored

SVT-Raptor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Mine was delayed in transit. Now arriving today sometime.

Did you install your yet? It appears to be the most free flowing setup of the air box designs. Just hoping with the vented top lid. It’s not overly loud with intake noise.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Mine was delayed in transit. Now arriving today sometime.

Did you install your yet? It appears to be the most free flowing setup of the air box designs. Just hoping with the vented top lid. It’s not overly loud with intake noise.
Holy moly, you’re right. The lid to the box is open with a foam prefilter. This is how it made as much power as the discontinued Injen short ram intake (14whp). However, that’s with the hood open. Once the hood closes it becomes a warm air intake sucking in radiant heat off the exhaust manifold and coolant tank.

This also explains why the child company Airaid intake made less power, it was only drawing air in through a snorkel inlet like the Mishimoto, factory airbox, others do. This dyno by K&N proves that there is addional power to be gained when the turbo can pull air in from other places than the snorkel inlet (in their case an open airbox lid). Makes me feel like adding my cold air fender feed into my factory airbox was the right move after all as a snorkel inlet sized to fit the factory radiator cowl area is indeed a restriction.

21TonkaTremor

First Name
Ely
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cyber Oranger Tremor Lariat
Occupation
Optician
I just looked on the K&N website and they are available now! Still can’t decide between Mishimoto and K&N intake ?

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I just looked on the K&N website and they are available now! Still can’t decide between Mishimoto and K&N intake ?
Mishimoto no question. Seems much better engineered and pulls in cold air just like factory. I have one and I love it!

F0CA95B8-BDDD-4FE5-BDD7-893F2C57CA67.jpeg

1D973DE8-E7CB-4A57-9B41-FC37A9811896.jpeg

6D5B54F2-3F63-4F92-8BA0-898307795600.jpeg

Wesmertz

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger SXT FX4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Grocery Management
the factory box really seems to pull air from the right places thus mitigating hot air coming in as much as possible. Why then would you swap to a K&N system (seems to pull more hot air), or Mishima to which seems to do just what the factory setup does. Are the filters just bigger thus increasing airflow? Also I’ve hear that bringing air in more efficiently doesn’t mean shit unless you can get rid of it more efficiently (new exhaust at the same time).

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
the factory box really seems to pull air from the right places thus mitigating hot air coming in as much as possible. Why then would you swap to a K&N system (seems to pull more hot air), or Mishima to which seems to do just what the factory setup does. Are the filters just bigger thus increasing airflow? Also I’ve hear that bringing air in more efficiently doesn’t mean shit unless you can get rid of it more efficiently (new exhaust at the same time).
Intakes can help with things like throttle response, perhaps some power.

My other car gains absolutely squat with an intake, could even be worse.

From what I've seen with different cars throughout the years, if the ECU is intelligent enough to send more fuel with the increase of air, then you can gain power, but we are talking 1-3% power gain.

Like you've touched on, if you have an intake, say IC pipes, a downpipe and exhaust, with a tune, then yes that intake probably gains you more power than without the supporting mods.

Not every car models intake is designed the same. There are always other considerations engineers need to think about, like noise, emissions, filtration, etc.

Most cars are not designed to max out the power.

My ND Miata's intake is very well designed and makes the same power as an aftermarket unit, because the engineers wanted power.

Older Mighty Car Mods videos, but still relevant.

Sponsored

Last edited: