June 2020 Ford Ranger software error, and the ECU; resetting ODO/Speedo caused significant errors

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth - per my Michigan-based dealer, Ford is dealing with a software problem for 2019+ Rangers which may result in the truck disassociating itself from the VIN as well as causing all body-based errors to trigger. They are aware and attempting to disseminate a patch NLT Wednesday, 1 July 2020.

Background follows (forgive the lack of technical nuance; I thought others may find the insight helpful):

I took my 2019 Ranger in last Tuesday, 23 June, to a dealership for a Fox 2.0 suspension upgrade and new wheels/tires of a larger size than stock. As part of that process I requested that the dealership update tire-related systems.

When the dealership attempted to update the ODO/Speedo/UBS/etc., the vehicle locked them out. The techs reset the truck and tried again, directly and via over-the-air, but matters only go worse. Over the course of the week several attempts by the dealership and by Ford technical support failed to repair the issue. The vehicle disassociated itself from the VIN and the keys ("the truck doesn't know it's a truck"), alarmed all body errors (E.g., air bags), and ultimately denied access to the vehicle's computer systems. It will start given bifurcation in engine/body systems, but nothing else.

Today the dealership advised that Ford is aware of a problem with related software coding and they are working on a patch; software updates currently only load 20 of 40 lines of the necessary code. That patch is to be provided on Wednesday, 1 July.

I do not know how far reaching this problem may be. The dealership indicated it was not localized and represented a manageable but significant problem for the fleet.

The dealership noted that the performance tune software/hardware package may provide a more reliable mechanism to update the tire diameter-related functions (the new tires are the maximum configurable diameter).

I'll update when I hear more, and hopefully with the return of the truck in working order.
Sponsored

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Best of luck and please keep us (2019 Ranger owners) posted.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth - per my Michigan-based dealer, Ford is dealing with a software problem for 2019+ Rangers which may result in the truck disassociating itself from the VIN as well as causing all body-based errors to trigger. They are aware and attempting to disseminate a patch NLT Wednesday, 1 July 2020.

Background follows (forgive the lack of technical nuance; I thought others may find the insight helpful):

I took my 2019 Ranger in last Tuesday, 23 June, to a dealership for a Fox 2.0 suspension upgrade and new wheels/tires of a larger size than stock. As part of that process I requested that the dealership update tire-related systems.

When the dealership attempted to update the ODO/Speedo/UBS/etc., the vehicle locked them out. The techs reset the truck and tried again, directly and via over-the-air, but matters only go worse. Over the course of the week several attempts by the dealership and by Ford technical support failed to repair the issue. The vehicle disassociated itself from the VIN and the keys ("the truck doesn't know it's a truck"), alarmed all body errors (E.g., air bags), and ultimately denied access to the vehicle's computer systems. It will start given bifurcation in engine/body systems, but nothing else.

Today the dealership advised that Ford is aware of a problem with related software coding and they are working on a patch; software updates currently only load 20 of 40 lines of the necessary code. That patch is to be provided on Wednesday, 1 July.

I do not know how far reaching this problem may be. The dealership indicated it was not localized and represented a manageable but significant problem for the fleet.

The dealership noted that the performance tune software/hardware package may provide a more reliable mechanism to update the tire diameter-related functions (the new tires are the maximum configurable diameter).

I'll update when I hear more, and hopefully with the return of the truck in working order.
What are the software engineers doing? Sitting in their Ivory Tower? These problems should have been flushed out in the development stages many years ago...This is not the old days where the customer helped to develop the vehicle based on post job one problems Identified by the customer. Top Systems Management should be shown the door and get people who know how to do a product should be place in charge. This CEO, Hacket has to go as well as he set the tone for this crap to happen....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: A week and a day later the truck is still down. The Ford software patch did not work as promised. According to Dean Sellers Ford (Troy, Michigan), they are at a loss and now have to wait on a Ford engineer.

Upside, if the patch didn't work it may be localized to my truck. Downside, it's my truck they broke.

Frustrating, but could be worse.

EDIT: for the tech-curious, attached is the dialogue between Ford and the dealership; dealership sent it over this afternoon.

June 2020 Ford problem.jpeg

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: A week and a day later the truck is still down. The Ford software patch did not work as promised. According to Dean Sellers Ford (Troy, Michigan), they are at a loss and now have to wait on a Ford engineer.

Upside, if the patch didn't work it may be localized to my truck. Downside, it's my truck they broke.

Frustrating, but could be worse.

EDIT: for the tech-curious, attached is the dialogue between Ford and the dealership; dealership sent it over this afternoon.

June 2020 Ford problem.jpeg
Hi Chris,

My Condo in which my Daughter lives is just a half mile away from Dean Sellers. We have had good luck with their service department for the last 15 years. Sad you are having a problem and hope it is fixable asap!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

My Condo in which my Daughter lives is just a half mile away from Dean Sellers. We have had good luck with their service department for the last 15 years. Sad you are having a problem and hope it is fixable asap!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil. Indeed. We've taken all three of our Fords to them (F150, Escape, Ranger). This issue seems to be an anomaly, and software laden (rather than the techs, who are trying to help). Annoying, but small relative to all that's going on these days.

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Day 12. Same result. Dean Sellers Ford techs keep trying updates, reportedly with Ford assistance, which continue to fail. Dealership claims it's a Ford software problem. Ford had to send someone out. Ford is off until Monday for the holiday. Truck sits. Trips cancelled. Etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I received the truck back today. Seems to be no worse for the wear (aside from 13 days out of pocket).

Ford sent over an engineer to the dealership today. He/she uploaded the software needed to restore the ECU, and was able to adjust the system for the new tire size.

The dealership indicated that the problem resides with a Ford software update which has required a fix. They also noted that they are seeing a lot of back-up camera issues. Ford does not have a fix yet and they’ve been forced to turn people away.

Happy to have it back (although the Platinum trim Expedition they gave us as a loaner-pacifier wasn’t too shabby).

For a different forum but since we all love a bit of tire talk:
Replaced a 3” spacer lift and 285/60r18 Nittos with Fox 2.0 coil overs (kept the RC UCAs), Rhino 17” wheels (+12 offset) and 265/70r17 Falken Wildpeak ATs.

Surprisingly there is a modest bit of rub at full lock in reverse (front driver’s side crash bar; rear passenger crash bar). Surprised only because 265/70r17 is the largest size recommended by Ford, is the top end of their performance tune, and comes on the new Ford Performance level Two and three trims due out later this year/next.

Maybe it’s the offset difference. I took out the plastic crash bar covers; hoping that works on the front. If not I may adjust the front up a bit or simply turn to full lock with caution. Plan to keep the crash bars. Rub at full compression is always a concern.

Thanks for the support above.
Happy Fourth of July. ??

4ADA3124-5B14-442A-AF59-1D7520904399.jpeg

647886C6-E09F-4A20-82D3-86447F8C8C2E.jpeg

E7897B58-2615-4250-A8DD-22F5C482C0FA.jpeg

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Update: I received the truck back today. Seems to be no worse for the wear (aside from 13 days out of pocket).

Ford sent over an engineer to the dealership today. He/she uploaded the software needed to restore the ECU, and was able to adjust the system for the new tire size.
I am happy that the software issue was resolved for your truck.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Great news on a Friday!

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m not surprised with the SW problems. I’ve been doing software for 20 years and some of the crap I’ve taken over surprises me still.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I’m not surprised with the SW problems. I’ve been doing software for 20 years and some of the crap I’ve taken over surprises me still.
But isn't it noteworthy that the dealer techs spent days trying to resolve it but the engineer fixed it on one visit? Was this a training or competence issue, or was it a UI problem that was worked around (via command line maybe)? Either way, it's not a good answer, and one that requires another beer to ponder over.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
But isn't it noteworthy that the dealer techs spent days trying to resolve it but the engineer fixed it on one visit? Was this a training or competence issue, or was it a UI problem that was worked around (via command line maybe)? Either way, it's not a good answer, and one that requires another beer to ponder over.
I’ve been called to the field to fix issues before, I usually have a lot more tools at my disposal and things to try that the shop doesn’t need to know about.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Truer words were never spoken. I've been doing this for 30 years now and I'm still amazed at some of the stuff I see. And it isn't getting better...... It is getting worse.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Truer words were never spoken. I've been doing this for 30 years now and I'm still amazed at some of the stuff I see. And it isn't getting better...... It is getting worse.
Schools don’t teach the lower level stuff that you need to know for things like ECUs, they focus on the WYSIWYG stuff that looks pretty.
Sponsored