January 2021 Consumer reports, just received

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Consumer Reports also mentioned that the Jeep Gladiator was the second ugliest vehicle of all time behind the 1974 AMC Matador.
Have to wonder if the Gladiator displaced the Pontiac Aztek , I wasn't aware that consumer reports made subjective styling comments.

I'd have to give high marks for cool names to the Matador and Gladiator, they suggest bravado, whilst the Ranger name suggests someone who aimlessly wanders around in a forest.
Sponsored

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
The short answer is that we were forced to do ride and handling with these heavy out rigger brackets that weigh some 150lbs and it is biased to the outside of one side of the vehicle, thus throwing off the vehicle's handling. Tuning suspension for these flippin brackets was just flat stupid. We argued with CR about this poor test and they continue. We spent quite a bit of time testing with and without and all for naught.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
What were the hoping to gain from this? Safety? Vehicle capability? I know they are ANAL about safety stuff.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
Have to wonder if the Gladiator displaced the Pontiac Aztek , I wasn't aware that consumer reports made subjective styling comments.

I'd have to give high marks for cool names to the Matador and Gladiator, they suggest bravado, whilst the Ranger name suggests someone who aimlessly wanders around in a forest.
Chuck Norris would like a word.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What were the hoping to gain from this? Safety? Vehicle capability? I know they are ANAL about safety stuff.
Hi TY,

Test driver safety....they banged up one of their "drivers" putting a Suzuki Samari (sp?) on its side. So it is to protect drivers that claim to be skilled just in case there is a whoops...

I also think that CR has an opinion which they turn into an answer and then create data to fit their desired answer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Consumer Reports also mentioned that the Jeep Gladiator was the second ugliest vehicle of all time behind the 1974 AMC Matador.
Matadors were gorgeous! the Marlin not so much.
1967 AMC Marlin.
1965RamblerMarlin_01_700.jpg

1974 Matador X Coupe
m1-1-e1450356244482.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Matadors were gorgeous! the Marlin not so much.
1967 AMC Marlin.
1965RamblerMarlin_01_700.jpg

1974 Matador X Coupe
m1-1-e1450356244482.jpg
Gorgeous.... opinions vary. Your post is just like Consumer Reports... kinda sorta true.

Where's the bumpers on the Matador you posted a photo of? They are like those outriggers Phil mentioned. Well except in this case you have to have the bumpers, and they make the car look like shit. Well IMHO anyway.

1609863353650.png

Last edited:

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I know most Euro and Aussie testing reports of the Ranger, Navarro, Amarok, Hilux and other trucks there the Ranger always fairs 1st or 2nd.

I would really like to be a small fly on the wall during discussion during testing of these vehicles.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi TY,

Test driver safety....they banged up one of their "drivers" putting a Suzuki Samari (sp?) on its side. So it is to protect drivers that claim to be skilled just in case there is a whoops...

I also think that CR has an opinion which they turn into an answer and then create data to fit their desired answer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Samurai is correct - a gem of a vehicle (nice name though) knew a guy who bought one in the 80s and he was initially happy with it, was going to use to for ski trips to the CO mtns - after his 1st trip he found out what an underpowered piece of crap it was and it was carbureted, ~ 70 hp thing could barely maintain 30 mph up the passes. Back then I had my fuel injected turbo charged Saab 900T which outperformed most vehicles going up mountain roads.

But curious if Ford still makes design employees read CR - CR has lost a lot of relevance/subscribers with the emergence of the internet, I recall some yrs back watching NBC news and they had a very short snippet on CRs pick for car of the year, don't know if they even bother with that anymore.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
The Commanche pick-up was pretty cool and looked like a regular pick-up instead of like a Jeep with an awkward afterthought. Actually, it looked a lot like a first generation Ranger.
This one is NOT mine but I had one like it from 96-2003
It was a '94 JGC Sport 2 door with 5 speed Peugeot manual.
straight 6 4.0 cast iron block/head..

1609869863227.png

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
The Comanches had that sweet Renault 4.0 liter straight six when Renault owned AMC. One of the most refined engines of its day.
051018-1987-Jeep-Comanche-1-e1526017122587-630x395.jpg
you cant find them anymore at least drivable that I have seen...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Gorgeous.... opinions vary. Your post is just like Consumer Reports... kinda sorta true.

Where's the bumpers on the Matador you posted a photo of? They are like those outriggers Phil mentioned. Well except in this case you have to have the bumpers, and they make the car look like shit. Well IMHO anyway.

1609863353650.png
Well, yeah, there are those. But the Mattie still was a nicer proportioned car compared to a lot of them in that day with their park benches mounted front and rear, IMO. The OEMs got caught out with the perfect storm of 5mph bumper mandates, leaner fuel mixture requirements, and a national 55mph speed limit (final drive ratios too high). at least the Mat didn't have opera windows!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe just me, but I find that the vast majority of people are morons. That is to say, I could care less what their ratings are.
With the exception of those on this site (being diplomatic) I agree, lol. My wife works in the medical field and sees people day in and day out and if I make a comment about someone being stupid she reminds me that a lot of people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that Gladiator buyers remorse is showing up as delusional feedback ... as a coping mechanism. It must get tiring justifying the purchase of such a POS. HAHA.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I've had good experience with my Ford products. I've bought like 17 new Fords, an a few other new car brands. I always thought CR overrated Japanese cars.

There was a very nice Jeep Comanche for sale near me that was riding on a XJ chassis/powertrain. The pics on line looked like it was well done. I had a 4.0 wrangler an it was a tank of a motor.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It's reliably ugly! :D
Sponsored