Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Josh, I for one will be following this thread closely as I am definitely interested in the AMP Power Steps as well.

For the time being, I did get a set of the HDX Stainless Dropsteps (my Wife INSISTED!), I even had them powder coated to match the Magnetic Sport Trim. But I'm not a big fan of any side steps as I think they detract from the lines of the truck. The Power Steps would be just the ticket! (hidden when not in use, and easy on the Wife!)

And with your install/write-ups, I would trust/rely your expertise above and beyond that of any accessory manufacturer! :handshake:

Keep up the good work, your truck is bad-ass!

Cheers! :beer:

IMG_6379.jpeg
Thanks Bryan! Considering I lifted the truck 3.5" and the wife is 4'8"ish, yeah I needed some sort of step heh. I agree that steps should disappear into the truck when not in use. I can't wait to get them on and in use, they should be shipping within a week or so, and of course I'll have an install video up after they're installed. :thumbsup::beer:
Sponsored

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, I did a thing. I didn't want to spend $140 on some A-pillar / Hood mount brackets, so I designed some in Autodesk Fusion 360, 3d printed it until it was right and then chopped and bent some metal.

3d print in progress: https://imgur.com/6xAHPo0

Test fitting the 3d printed piece
3gaeNoH.jpg

Printed out the template, cut it out of 1-1/2 x 1/8 flat bar steel
NcfV8vL.jpg

Bent it up and compared to the 3d printed piece
xUVMNrJ.jpg

Gave em a good 3 coats of VHT Roll Bar & Chassis black
eAP0fJi.jpg

And here we are
TY0VRMd.jpg

Whattya guys think? :)

EDIT: Also, kids, don't use grinders/cutoff wheels without guards. You'll damn near chop a finger off like I did. But I saved 132 bucks! :crackup:

Last edited:

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
So, I did a thing. I didn't want to spend $140 on some A-pillar / Hood mount brackets, so I designed some in Autodesk Fusion 360, 3d printed it until it was right and then chopped and bent some metal.

3d print in progress: https://imgur.com/6xAHPo0

Test fitting the 3d printed piece
3gaeNoH.jpg

Printed out the template, cut it out of 1-1/2 x 1/8 flat bar steel
NcfV8vL.jpg

Bent it up and compared to the 3d printed piece
xUVMNrJ.jpg

Gave em a good 3 coats of VHT Roll Bar & Chassis black
eAP0fJi.jpg

And here we are
TY0VRMd.jpg

Whattya guys think? :)

EDIT: Also, kids, don't use grinders/cutoff wheels without guards. You'll damn near chop a finger off like I did. But I saved 132 bucks! :crackup:
Sure you saved the $132and still have all your fingers.... but the sense of pride/accomplishment = PRICELESS!
Great job Josh!
Now let there be light!
:clap:

Nolan Johnson

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Me too, but I bought quality hubcentric wheel spacers and used red loctite on em so they shouldn't be going anywhere.

Yep, I used 1.5" hubcentric wheel spacers since the BFGs are so much wider than the stock tire, they were REALLY close, and I mean, uncomfortably close to the spindle. So far there is only minimal rubbing on the passenger side rear intrusion beam at full lock with the steering wheel to the right when reversing. I have the BDS intrusion beams on order but apparently there's some supply issue that's delaying them. After those are on, rubbing will be a non-issue.

The BFGs I have are LT285/70/R17s, Load Range C, 116/113S and ordered them from Tirerack. They are the same tire thats on the Rest of the World Ranger Raptor.

The rims are also off of the Ranger Raptor and have the same offset and backspacing as stock. I really wanted them to poke out a bit more than stock, thus the spacers.
Hey Josh!

Do you remember what brand of wheel spacers you used?
Also, do you think the rubbing you mentioned would be eliminated if you went to a 275/65/R17 or a 265/65/R17 tire? I'm considering a 3" lift but I would like to get away with using the stock intrusion beams, albeit a smaller tire than yours, if possible.

Thanks for your input! Love the truck!

fillmd03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2015 Ford F150
Occupation
Logistics
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my Bushwacker OE-Style smooth finish fender flares today. I went with the thinner version that I haven't seen elsewhere yet and I'm quite pleased. They truly do look almost OEM. Here's the set I got in case anyone is interested - https://www.bushwacker.com/bushwacker-20955-02-oe-style-fender-flares-front-and-rear

What do you guys think?

I'll also have an install video up soonish. :sunglasses: EDIT: Video is up!

MabcWwW.jpg

ou2k9EN.jpg

fDKYsMh.jpg

Great video. New to this forum. Have you seen anyone that has painted these flares? I have a black Ranger and wanted to color match them with factory gloss paint.

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it would seem being quarantined at home makes me buy things for the Ranger... I got my AMP Research PowerSteps installed a few days ago and I have an AWE Exhaust on the way! Below is an install vid for the steps! Thanks @Stage3Motorsports !

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it would seem being quarantined at home makes me buy things for the Ranger... I got my AMP Research PowerSteps installed a few days ago and I have an AWE Exhaust on the way! Below is an install vid for the steps! Thanks @Stage3Motorsports !

Hey Josh,
I noticed in the comments section on YouTube you mentioned the LED's that came with the PowerSteps were too blue and you replaced them to match your puddle lamp LED's? Would you mind sharing which LED's you replaced them with and where you got them?
Thanks in advance!
~Bryan

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Josh,
I noticed in the comments section on YouTube you mentioned the LED's that came with the PowerSteps were too blue and you replaced them to match your puddle lamp LED's? Would you mind sharing which LED's you replaced them with and where you got them?
Thanks in advance!
~Bryan
Hey Bryan,

Here's a link to the ones I used - just some cheap amazon no name units. They look great and do the job just fine!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABPGAUC/

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Bryan,

Here's a link to the ones I used - just some cheap amazon no name units. They look great and do the job just fine!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABPGAUC/
Josh, thanks for the quick reply and the link!

Those look great and I think CREE LED's are pretty reputable.

I read thru the comments on the Amazon page and there seems to be a question regarding the color/kelvin scale? As it's not specified in the description, my guess (hope) is that the "white" is a true white or pure white in the 5000-6500K range?

What is your opinion of the color?

I replaced my puddle lights with these LED's:
https://www.amazon.com/ROVER-Side-Mirror-Puddle-Light/dp/B07NYPLJ8C/
They have CREE LED's and are spec'd at 6000K which is what I'm trying to match as closely as possible.

Again, thanks for all your help!

PS - I ordered the AMP PowerSteps to replace my HDX DropSteps. Should arrive soon and I will be using your install video as a tutorial.... so double thanks for that too!
:like:

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
I think I might end up going a slightly different route though on the back letters, to try and bring in the red from the "X" in 4X4, sort of like this (if you don't mind me taking your picture)
Love that. Reminds me of those early 80's F-150 and Ranger tailgates.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my Bushwacker OE-Style smooth finish fender flares today. I went with the thinner version that I haven't seen elsewhere yet and I'm quite pleased. They truly do look almost OEM. Here's the set I got in case anyone is interested - https://www.bushwacker.com/bushwacker-20955-02-oe-style-fender-flares-front-and-rear

What do you guys think?

I'll also have an install video up soonish. :sunglasses: EDIT: Video is up!

MabcWwW.jpg

ou2k9EN.jpg

fDKYsMh.jpg

Enjoy watching the build. Thank you for sharing.

Several of the fender flare adverts note a negative impact on lane keep-assist systems. Have you experienced any problems?

-Chris

"Blocks Lane-Keep Assist: these fender flares block the sensors used for Ford's Lane-Keep Assist feature that was an optional system on some Ranger submodels. The flares can still be installed, but will render the system unusable."

OP
OP
j0shm1lls

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy watching the build. Thank you for sharing.

Several of the fender flare adverts note a negative impact on lane keep-assist systems. Have you experienced any problems?

-Chris

"Blocks Lane-Keep Assist: these fender flares block the sensors used for Ford's Lane-Keep Assist feature that was an optional system on some Ranger submodels. The flares can still be installed, but will render the system unusable."
Thanks! These fender flares don't affect the lane keep assist at all, I've had another person ask me about this as well actually. I think the wider ones may and that could've been holdover text from that item description. Mine works just fine!

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Interesting.

Where are the lane keep assist sensors located ?

Always thought it used the camera near the rear view mirror.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! These fender flares don't affect the lane keep assist at all, I've had another person ask me about this as well actually. I think the wider ones may and that could've been holdover text from that item description. Mine works just fine!
Thank you. Your explanation makes more sense. Much appreciated. And thanks again for the videos. Good stuff.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting.

Where are the lane keep assist sensors located ?

Always thought it used the camera near the rear view mirror.
Same. If memory serves it’s a mesh of camera under review and front facing grill/bumper sensors, depending On the trim.
Sponsored