It is true the 2021 ford ranger is missing a gear

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
actually I am truly interested and I did try to get it to switch to 2nd but was trying to make it light hearted. Guess some have to be serious in their transmission shifting.

If it is determined to skip 2 then why not 5 as to me it goes from 4 to 6 in a heart beat and yes I am only talking about drive mode
When you get more miles on it you'll probably see 1-2-4-6 in addition to 1-3-5 depending on the specifics of how you're accelerating. The gears are there for when you need them, not to show off. If you're starting off slow with a heavy load you'll see them all.

I've never understood the drama over the gear skipping--didn't anyone else ever skip gears driving a manual when the situation called for it?
Sponsored

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I see 2nd in downhill, slow traffic. Shifts hard. Otherwise I don’t see it and I’d like it on my morning commutes because there are small hills on turns from a stop, where the 3rd gear is too high, so when it goes from 1st to 3rd, it just doesn't have any power. Been trying the tow/haul mode and it’s okay. I wish they would update the transmission software. The current D should be some “eco” mode and the D should be 200-300 rpms higher. And while we all want a tune, it shouldn’t be necessary. The Ranger is the BEST midsize, but ford really could have put a little more effort

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
What's hilarious is that the Early MT82 manual mustangs had a skip shift feature. There was a solenoid that would push the shifter from the 1-2 gate to the 3-4, so if you were light footed with the throttle and tried to shift to second it would push you into forth.

If Ford would skip shift a 6 speed manual transmission, they'd definitely do it in a 10 speed auto.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
What's hilarious is that the Early MT82 manual mustangs had a skip shift feature. There was a solenoid that would push the shifter from the 1-2 gate to the 3-4, so if you were light footed with the throttle and tried to shift to second it would push you into forth.

If Ford would skip shift a 6 speed manual transmission, they'd definitely do it in a 10 speed auto.
C5, and I think, C6 Vettes do the same.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
I see 2nd in downhill, slow traffic. Shifts hard. Otherwise I don’t see it and I’d like it on my morning commutes because there are small hills on turns from a stop, where the 3rd gear is too high, so when it goes from 1st to 3rd, it just doesn't have any power. Been trying the tow/haul mode and it’s okay. I wish they would update the transmission software. The current D should be some “eco” mode and the D should be 200-300 rpms higher. And while we all want a tune, it shouldn’t be necessary. The Ranger is the BEST midsize, but ford really could have put a little more effort
I live on a hill and have to go up the hill after I pull out of my driveway. The shift from 1 to 3 is really annoying when the truck is cold. What I do is shift to sport and then use the button on the shifter to start in 2nd gear. I can hold that to the top of the hill and then manually shift to third gear (which is very smooth). Then I’ll shift to fourth gear until I get on flat ground and engage tow mode for the rest of the trip.

Seems like a lot to do just to avoid the clunky first shift and loss of power for the first shift of the day, but I do it every time, so it is automatic now.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
When you get more miles on it you'll probably see 1-2-4-6 in addition to 1-3-5 depending on the specifics of how you're accelerating. The gears are there for when you need them, not to show off. If you're starting off slow with a heavy load you'll see them all.

I've never understood the drama over the gear skipping--didn't anyone else ever skip gears driving a manual when the situation called for it?
Yep, in my old pre-taco toyota I almost always skipped 2nd, to the point that it got to where it was hard to get into 2nd. I asked my mechanic to check it out, and he put some additive in the trans and told me it was fine, just a little gummy. After using it properly for a while it loosened up again and was fine.

gryder

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
My truck stays in the 1-3-5 gear set 95 percent of the drive. I noticed on hills it shifts 1-2-4-6. There is a stop light and then a slight hill by my work. I have to press the gas harder and that’s when it uses the 1-2-4-6 gear set. Not sure if 33’s play a role in that but other than that if I want to shift into second I’ll do it manually.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
You laugh about that but when I had my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 with 9 speed auto. 9th gear was the unobtainable holy grail. Only a few forum posters ever saw it and it was at 75 mph downhill with a tailwind. I personally never saw it in 5 yrs of ownership, traded it for the Ranger.
you traded the Jeep for a Ranger because it never went into 9th? LOL

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I am amazed at the lengths people go to in an effort to manipulate and outsmart the system. Or systems, in regards to these Rangers. At least them engineers were smart enough to provide a pathway when situations presented themselves.

Are we using tow mode in order to avoid ASS? I use it when, you know, towing. ?

I did try and replicate the OP’s experiment, with similar results. But a different conclusion.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yep, in my old pre-taco toyota I almost always skipped 2nd, to the point that it got to where it was hard to get into 2nd. I asked my mechanic to check it out, and he put some additive in the trans and told me it was fine, just a little gummy. After using it properly for a while it loosened up again and was fine.
You were fleeced for that additive.

That's not how manual transmissions work.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I believe that is the way its supposed to work, -- under light acceleration mine will pretty much skip every other gear .... not really needing to use them all I assume (for anyone who doesnt know just hit the "+ or- " on he gear shift it shows in the display" shifts nice and smooth most of the time its a great little truck. not perfect but pretty great.

FatalException0E

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Crew FX4 - Blue, '19 Subaru Forester Touring - White
About the only time I ever see 2nd is when using the trail control around 10-14 mph. It will sit in 2nd the whole time just about.
Every once in a while it'll hit 2nd while idle-cruising in a parking lot.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
you traded the Jeep for a Ranger because it never went into 9th? LOL
Ha ha a few other reasons as well. I do miss UConnect it was far better than Sync.
Sponsored