First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t bite the hook. He’s fishing.
actually I am truly interested and I did try to get it to switch to 2nd but was trying to make it light hearted. Guess some have to be serious in their transmission shifting.

If it is determined to skip 2 then why not 5 as to me it goes from 4 to 6 in a heart beat and yes I am only talking about drive mode
Sponsored

OP
OP

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know better than any Ford engineer and I know the weight savings is key.
so I removed 2-4-6-8.
I kept 10 for the high mileage benefits.
I also machined off half my rotor thickness, and removed every other lug nut.
Took off my diff cover and chiseled off every third tooth for weight savings there. Its a spiral helical cut gear, don't worry, at least two teeth are in 75% contact at all times.
Went to 14" light weight steel wheels and 195/14R50 for handling. This thing corners like a train now.

So far I have bested my quarter mile time by alot of seconds and improved my gas mileage by 4L/100km.
All on 87 octane

Because safety is paramount and I had a lot of room now, I added 6 extra crash bars (aluminium 040" thickness) to each wheel well.
finally someone that can take things seriously

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Someone some where posted about them never having the automatic transmission shift into second gear. I forgot about it until today going to the store. So in the parking lot I drove around for maybe 10 mins (yeah it was likely longer) trying to get it to select 2 second gear (in D mode) and not a single time did it go into second.

I want my second GEAR!
So why not find out for yourself? You said your in D but why not have the display show the gear number it is actually in? Are you just driving around in D and trying to count the gear shifting or are you looking at the actual gear number it is in? Because your not saying you can see the actual gear number, just that it will not go into 2nd gear. So how do you know what you know?

OP
OP

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So why not find out for yourself? You said your in D but why not have the display show the gear number it is actually in? Are you just driving around in D and trying to count the gear shifting or are you looking at the actual gear number it is in? Because your not saying you can see the actual gear number, just that it will not go into 2nd gear. So how do you know what you know?
I actually did have the gear displayed. I'll add that information next time.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
I actually did have the gear displayed. I'll add that information next time.
Your title questioned whether 2nd gear is there. It is and you can prove it in sport mode or tow mode as stated by others. Whether the transmission chooses 2nd gear in Drive is up to the situation and programming. I personally use tow mode most of the time with occasional excursions in sport when required. ?

OP
OP

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your title questioned whether 2nd gear is there. It is and you can prove it in sport mode or tow mode as stated by others. Whether the transmission chooses 2nd gear in Drive is up to the situation and programming. I personally use tow mode most of the time with occasional excursions in sport when required. ?
I am not being literal about a missing 2nd gear. We all know 10th gear is the one that is missing.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am not being literal about a missing 2nd gear. We all know 10th gear is the one that is missing.
You laugh about that but when I had my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 with 9 speed auto. 9th gear was the unobtainable holy grail. Only a few forum posters ever saw it and it was at 75 mph downhill with a tailwind. I personally never saw it in 5 yrs of ownership, traded it for the Ranger.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I get 10th gear at 47mph. Stupid trans spends more time in 10th than any other gear.

OP
OP

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get 10th gear at 47mph. Stupid trans spends more time in 10th than any other gear.
someone suggested to just keep locking out 8-10. I have been doing that but just worry about wearing out the rocker switch at some point. I didn't like sport mode and haven't tried tow mode yet

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Sport mode is too punchy. If this trans spun each gear at 300rpm higher before shifting, it would be great. Tow mode is the ticket for most.

OP
OP

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sport mode is too punchy. If this trans spun each gear at 300rpm higher before shifting, it would be great. Tow mode is the ticket for most.
you know I was thinking the same. I would use the manual shift mode but tried that on my explorer and just felt weird not using a clutch

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I am always missing 2nd gear when I am at WOT