IS THE RANGER GONNA BE DISCONTINUED??

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
I've owned Rangers for many years and this is SOP for Ford. For what ever reason, they operate as if they have a captive following and that they need to do little to hype the Ranger. Just look at how many of us bought a 9-year-old Australian design. They will continue to do minor upgrades and no big push. After a while, they'll say there is no interest and then discontinue it. We've got a few years to go, so just enjoy and hold on. :frown:
Sponsored

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
No it will continue because Ford is also building it for Volkswagen next year! I don't think that you ever got the VW ute in the US, well VW decided it was time to update the old Amarock and didn't want to spend the money to redevelop it so next year the new Amarock will be a re-skinned Ranger with VW badges.
Much the same that for the last 10 years here the Mazda BT50 ute has been a reskinned Ranger, they never sold as well as the Ranger, because Mazda had some strange ideas for the front sheet metal - most owners promptly installed a bull bar to hide the ugly. Bodyshell, glass, chassis and powertrain were identical to the Ford. Interior trim and front and rear sheet metal were by Mazda and they were both built on the same line.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
just curious,,,, i see lots of talk about the maverick and the orders along with the bronco and talk about the electric f150, but rarely see reports on orders or info from ford on the ranger much... they seem to mention other products but very little ranger updates..... thoughts?
It's still being developed the last I heard...if you like box design...

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
When i bought my ranger January 2021. I never even knew there was a new ranger out!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm kinda relieved to see them cut back on advertising the Ranger.
If you watched them you would think that they were all 4WD 4doors used exclusively by risk takers and not allowed on the road or able to do real truck chores.
Funny you should say that. When I was in the market to buy last May, the dealer I went to had 4 Rangers, only one - the STX SE I bought - was 2 wheel drive, and had been on the lot for 2 days before I snatched it up.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Thank God. That was as hideous as the Gladiator and made zero sense to compete directly against the Ranger. I hope Ford goes back to multipack leafs on the 23'. The Parabolic thing is poor engineering for a truck that might be used off road. IMHO it's just Ford trying to achieve too many things with high payload, soft ride etc. Just go to coils already. Ford admitted so much when they went to multipack on the Tremor. Coupled with the $2.99 shocks they put on vehicles these days only exaggerates the poor ride quality. I had a 21' F-150 loaner for almost a month, and couldn't believe how "floaty" it felt (like an 88' Caprice Classic) compared to my 2016 F-150. Then I looked and saw the parabolic spring set up. My 16' had terrible cheap shocks too, but it still rode better, more planted than this 21'. As for the Ranger, it's here for at least one more cycle. I will be watching closely as I cancelled my Bronco order due to a shit show of problems and a pathetic launch riddled with issues. I am not sure I'll even buy another Ford for a few years to be honest. Hackett's bean counting mentality is gonna take a few years to recover from. Not sure Farley is gonna be better....???

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you look back at what happened and where we are now Ranger will be around for a longtime. When they discontinued in 2012 Ford was trying to push everyone into a F150 their cash cow. Thing is it didnā€™t work for the most part. Many hung onto their Rangers to ā€œwait it outā€ or went over to the competition for same footprint size. At the same time sales of the Ranger internationally remained strong. The realization finally came when they reintroduced Ranger in NA as the old F150 footprint size. That left room for the Maverick to enter the scene for small fleet truck use.

Personally, I donā€™t like the boxy look of the 6G from what Iā€™ve seen. Probably be holding onto my 5G for longer than I originally thought.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
the greatest generation promised me a fly ranger by now and a car with wings is NOT a fly car.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
If you look back at what happened and where we are now Ranger will be around for a longtime. When they discontinued in 2012 Ford was trying to push everyone into a F150 their cash cow. Thing is it didnā€™t work for the most part. Many hung onto their Rangers to ā€œwait it outā€ or went over to the competition for same footprint size. At the same time sales of the Ranger internationally remained strong. The realization finally came when they reintroduced Ranger in NA as the old F150 footprint size. That left room for the Maverick to enter the scene for small fleet truck use.

Personally, I donā€™t like the boxy look of the 6G from what Iā€™ve seen. Probably be holding onto my 5G for longer than I originally thought.
When the 2007-09 recession hit, the Global Ranger was on the drawing boards. Ford and everyone else was hemorrhaging red ink, and so the decision was made to axe completely the Mercury Division, and Twin City (St Paul, MN) Assembly and Edison (NJ) Assembly which produced the Ranger. Louisville Assembly also did until 1999. Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car (moved from Wixom Mi 2007 when that plant closed) folded in 2010 when St.Thomas (Ontario Canada) Assembly was also boarded up. Around that same time, Ford, GM, & Toyota all pulled out of Australian manufacturing, and Ford put all the Ranger tooling on a boat to Michigan (Wayne) Assembly; the Standard Cab machinery must still be at the dock, lol.
FF to now. The next Global Ranger was/is also designed in Australia and will debut in NA probably late 2022 as a 2023 model.
Ford has invested significant time, talent and treasure in the new 6G Bronco, and the Ranger will likely continue along side until all the tooling is paid off, at least. I think it's doubtful that as popular as Bronco will be, it would be unprofitable to build without the volume that Ranger adds. Furthermore, as we are inching closer to huge, US$100,000 F150s, the Ranger is becoming a viable vocational truck in NA, as it is the #1 truck in several foreign countries where the F-Series are not sold.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ford has invested significant time, talent and treasure in the new 6G Bronco, and the Ranger will likely continue along side until all the tooling is paid off, at least. I think it's doubtful that as popular as Bronco will be, it would be unprofitable to build without the volume that Ranger adds.
I think the bronco and ranger sharing a platform is a key part of ford's strategy. It lets ford mitigate the risks of a $1bn+ investment in the plant by being able to switch capacity on the line between the models as demand swings between different types of vehicles. If they keep them on alternating facelift cycles it also means there's always something "new" driving sales out of the plant. Neither vehicle by itself may have been worth the investment risk, but together they're a solid revenue stream.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I think the bronco and ranger sharing a platform is a key part of ford's strategy. It lets ford mitigate the risks of a $1bn+ investment in the plant by being able to switch capacity on the line between the models as demand swings between different types of vehicles. If they keep them on alternating facelift cycles it also means there's always something "new" driving sales out of the plant. Neither vehicle by itself may have been worth the investment risk, but together they're a solid revenue stream.
Note also that the Bronco will be North America only, while the rest of the world continues with the Everest/Endevour.
2021 Ford Everest Ambiante:
Unknown.jpeg

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I am presuming Ford is not pushing the advertisement for the next Gen Ranger because it may take sales away from the Bronco Sport and Maverick. Plus you have the current Gen Ranger to clear out.
Sponsored