First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Dunno, but investing in a home is a vastly wiser decision than in a new vehicle.
However it's gonna take several, actually a lot of new Rangers to match the price of a new home in Honolulu, average price is presently hovering @ 1 million, the market is currently on fire as I am writing this also.

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno, but investing in a home is a vastly wiser decision than in a new vehicle.
However it's gonna take several, actually a lot of new Rangers to match the price of a new home in Honolulu, average price is presently hovering @ 1 million, the market is currently on fire as I am writing this also.
same in north texas. just wish it was 15 years from now when I am at retirement age and can buy the RV to live out my days

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Does that include the land or is that for the house an a "Lease" on the property?

Worse decision of my life was arriving in Hawaii in June 1987, looking at a 3 bedroom condo by pearl ridge mall area for $89,000 an passing on it to move into base housing. Base housing was nice an all but when I left at the end of 1990 that condo would have sold for $225-250K or been a huge money making rental.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does that include the land or is that for the house an a "Lease" on the property?

Worse decision of my life was arriving in Hawaii in June 1987, looking at a 3 bedroom condo by pearl ridge mall area for $89,000 an passing on it to move into base housing. Base housing was nice an all but when I left at the end of 1990 that condo would have sold for $225-250K or been a huge money making rental.
Lease residential properties practically non-existent in the Islands now, it's all fee simple.
That condo you passed up is worth a hell of lot more than the 225-250K now. Where you based out of Pearl/Hickam, Schofield or Camp Smith?
I get a chuckle when I hear radio ads for a new condo which says "prices start at an affordable 1 million", affordable for Jeff Bezos, certainly not me...lol
Trouble with such properties is the HOA fees, I know of an ultra high end condo where monthly fees average about 5K, talking about maintenance fees, not the monthly note...yes, I am serious

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
if you are renting and throwing money away on rent for years, you are doing something wrong. rent is usually more than a mortgage. having a home also is a gateway to wealth. if you keep the home you will usually reap a nice profit when you do sell it 5-10 years later. my first home post divorce, was a new starter home. cheapest in the hood. sold it 9 years later for 80K profit- a check in my hand- and with that i wrapped it into a second home- my future retirement home, in the mountains. There is no way i would have been able to do that without all the equity i made on the sale of that home. if i had been renting all those years, i'd walk away with, 0$. I put very little in that home over 9 years. very little. As it was new when i got it.

hopefully and God willing, i will be able to do the same with my current primary home in 4 years and pay the mountain place off 100%. I can almost do it now with the way the market is.

congrats on the decision and good luck.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lease residential properties practically non-existent in the Islands now, it's all fee simple.
That condo you passed up is worth a hell of lot more than the 225-250K now. Where you based out of Pearl/Hickam, Schofield or Camp Smith?
I get a chuckle when I hear radio ads for a new condo which says "prices start at an affordable 1 million", affordable for Jeff Bezos, certainly not me...lol
Trouble with such properties is the HOA fees, I know of an ultra high end condo where monthly fees average about 5K, talking about maintenance fees, not the monthly note...yes, I am serious
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor on CINCPACFLT staff. Lived in Pearl city for a year then Aliamanu Housing. I know people that bought condo's while stationed there an kept them as rental property after transferring. Now they either have a nice cash generating property for retirement income or can sell it off an buy their retirement home with money left over (lots of money depending on where they retire to).

I was tempted to get out an stay there but the cost of living scared the crap out of me an it was just too far from my family.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor on CINCPACFLT staff. Lived in Pearl city for a year then Aliamanu Housing. I know people that bought condo's while stationed there an kept them as rental property after transferring. Now they either have a nice cash generating property for retirement income or can sell it off an buy their retirement home with money left over (lots of money depending on where they retire to).

I was tempted to get out an stay there but the cost of living scared the crap out of me an it was just too far from my family.
Indeed, the cost of living in Hawaii, on Oahu in particular is astronomical...

On a side note, I'm sure traffic was bad when you lived here, I daresay it is 5X worse now, I know of people who live in the Ewa beach area, their weekday morning commute to HNL metro area averages about 2 hours, provided there are no stalls or accidents. This time increases exponentially farther away, and yet they are still building new homes.

Don't know if you remember the Waipio district, it's located just before Mililani, there is a planned subdivision under construction now which eventually will feature 3,500 single family condos, attached condos and townhouses. This means at least 3,500 more cars on Oahu, if the residents are a single car family...highly unlikely!

Hot Pepper Red Zeppelin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Maybe he can get into a truck sooner now by going Maverick...

I wonder how his remodel went....

I wonder if he's married, or dating....

Maybe he has a kid now....

I hope he's paying extra toward the principal each month....

How does he feel about dampers....

So many questions....

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maybe he can get into a truck sooner now by going Maverick...

I wonder how his remodel went....

I wonder if he's married, or dating....

Maybe he has a kid now....

I hope he's paying extra toward the principal each month....

How does he feel about dampers....

So many questions....
Dunno why Ford chose to bring back the name Maverick for their new truck, the name conjures up thoughts of a woeful, underachieving rattle box in which every single control or function on it came with gobs and gobs of play until any action happened. Yet Ford sold tens of thousands of them, just like the Mustang II, don't get me started on that POS...lol

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Yes, a house is a much better investment. I didn’t quite pay 1 mil for my house last year but it’s worth around there now in this market. The truck has “officially” taken a back seat in spending

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

On a side note, I'm sure traffic was bad when you lived here, I daresay it is 5X worse now, I know of people who live in the Ewa beach area, their weekday morning commute to HNL metro area averages about 2 hours, provided there are no stalls or accidents. This time increases exponentially farther away, and yet they are still building new homes.

Don't know if you remember the Waipio district, it's located just before Mililani, there is a planned subdivision under construction now which eventually will feature 3,500 single family condos, attached condos and townhouses. This means at least 3,500 more cars on Oahu, if the residents are a single car family...highly unlikely!
Jeff, it seems the same everywhere you go. In my area of North Carolina they are building houses on matchbook size property, and they start at the high 200's. Everywhere you look a developer is ruining what used to be beautiful farm land. I'm afraid the market didn't learn anything from the last housing bust.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I worked with a senior chief that lived in Ewa Beach housing, I lived on the Pearl City peninsula an that little commute Kam highway was a B*****. The ex worked in the Ala Moana building behind the shopping center an it took her an hour some times to get to work. If it rained it doubled LOL. After living on Oahu for over a year I went to the big island an was shocked at how different it was. Like another country. Very laid back at that time.

It is a beautiful place an I loved my time there.
Sponsored