First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Yeah. If you look at your window sticker it'll show the transport method and it's almost always "RAIL". If it says that, then it went by train most of the way and truck transport was probably final delivery. If it says "CONVOY" it went by truck transport the whole way.
I see CONVOY on all the ones l looked up locally. could be a regional thing.
Sponsored

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
If you’re nearby the plant where the vehicle is produced, then it’ll be convoy.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I worked at a GM distribution yard, offloading vehicles from rail cars to be later put on road transporters. We had a rail car that came in separate from the normal string that had been in a derail. Aparently the railcar had travelled a mile or so before anyone noticed one set of wheels was off the rails. Several of the vehicles had damage because the tire straps had snapped and the vehicles had repeatedly rammed each other. Two of them had gotten jammed and crushed because part of the deck above them had detached and had to be totaled. It took three days to empty the rail car.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Typical to transport vehicles by train?
Yes. There's a huge delivery yard in Miami where they stage them for distribution to final dealership by transport trucks.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That might not be completely accurate - Mine says CONVOY, but I found out that one of the rail yards (Woodhaven) is like 10 miles from the plant - so it got transported from the plant to the rail yard by truck, then put on a train and then on another truck to the dealer.

1628263725395.png

1628264219571.png

1628264109136.png

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
This morning’s memo at Ford: An incident on a rail line has damaged a shipment of vehicles. We’re sending out a team over the weekend to retrieve the electronic chips so that they can be placed in waiting vehicles in the yard waiting for shipping. Volunteer’s get a bonus for their efforts. Once the bus going is full offer ends. Snooze you lose!
Grab the bed tie-downs too!

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Article on this derailment plus some video of the aftermath, shows the enormity of this. Appears to have happened in a slight curve. My guess is this was formally double track and when one of the tracks was taken up they had to make an alignment for the road crossing. Maybe speed played a factor especially when you see how those cars piled up in one spot. The video is after the wreck crews have cleared the carnage and are preparing the road bed for new tracks.
https://www.motor1.com/news/524633/car-carrying-train-derails-missouri/

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Article on this derailment plus some video of the aftermath, shows the enormity of this. Appears to have happened in a slight curve. My guess is this was formally double track and when one of the tracks was taken up they had to make an alignment for the road crossing. Maybe speed played a factor especially when you see how those cars piled up in one spot. The video is after the wreck crews have cleared the carnage and are preparing the road bed for new tracks.
Jeez after reading the article you would think the journalist is reading our forums and parroting what we’re all saying as speculation of how we think it’s going to play out at Ford! At least they could give 5G credit for the lifted content! ?

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
Ok, looked at this video several times, appears to be double track with a switch going to a single track. But there are 2 derailments here , appears to be a bunch of hoppers on the ground and train cars on the track in between. Sorry, this stuff just fascinates me.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If these trucks have all their chips, I hope Ford is working with the railroad’s insurance provider to remove any from the write-offs going to the salvage yard.

Ford Dealer Rep: “Mr. Johnson? Hi - you’re going to get your F-150 on-time after all. Well, there was this tragic train accident and we were able to find a donor chip for your truck.”
Sponsored