Is anyone aware of a front-mount tow hitch for the Ranger yet?

OP
OP
Mike in UT

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Factory tow hooks went right back on without any alterations. You may be able to see in the one picture that the hitch manufacturer knew the tow hook has that little finger coming off on the back side, there is a hole for it on the hitch brackets. They definitely measured a Ranger like mine when they designed it.

I locked a cheap pumpkin protector (not sure what its actually called) in the receiver just to have something in it when not in use.
I did some more searching and they actually have two videos on installation which show how it goes in really well:

FX4 Installation (you have to replace the stock FX4 Skid Plate):

Non FX4:

I'm a bit on the fence on this now. It looks like it would be strong enough for a front winch mount (assuming you aren't hard core), but I'm not really wanting to replace the FX4 skid plate. The replacement skid plate seems quite a bit smaller than the FX4 one.

Anyone have any thoughts?

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL 4x4 SuperCrew (R)
Is the FX4 skid plate thicker or just more surface area? With the hitch added in the front doesn't that square bar give you a nice brace and warning to some of the things that would've beat even a larger skid plate up?

It seems if you had to use the 4x4 skid plate that you could alter it with a FX4 plate welded to it (cut to fit) or just add to the 4x4 plate as it is.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I am also on the fence now after watching the video

I like the look and fit of the factory plate

I wonder where to get the replacement skid or if it comes with the hitch

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am also on the fence now after watching the video

I like the look and fit of the factory plate

I wonder where to get the replacement skid or if it comes with the hitch
It would appear the replacement skid plate comes with it as the price is a bit more for FX4.

$157 for non FX4
$214 for FX4

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is the FX4 skid plate thicker or just more surface area? With the hitch added in the front doesn't that square bar give you a nice brace and warning to some of the things that would've beat even a larger skid plate up?

It seems if you had to use the 4x4 skid plate that you could alter it with a FX4 plate welded to it (cut to fit) or just add to the 4x4 plate as it is.
The FX4 skid plate is significantly larger than the one included with the kit.

I guess my biggest concern is probably the edges where the replacement plate is smaller - it won't protect the suspension as well I don't think. If you watch the FX4 specific video you can see the size difference on the plates - it is rather significant.

OP
OP
Mike in UT

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
The FX4 skid plate is significantly larger than the one included with the kit.

I guess my biggest concern is probably the edges where the replacement plate is smaller - it won't protect the suspension as well I don't think. If you watch the FX4 specific video you can see the size difference on the plates - it is rather significant.
I would GUESS that one could buy the non-FX4 mount, and then alter the FX4 skid plate to fit. I mean, angle grinders aren't that expensive.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would GUESS that one could buy the non-FX4 mount, and then alter the FX4 skid plate to fit. I mean, angle grinders aren't that expensive.
If I decide to go this route that is probably what I will do - I'm just afraid what my skid plate will look like when I'm done. :)

OP
OP
Mike in UT

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I did some more searching and they actually have two videos on installation which show how it goes in really well:

FX4 Installation (you have to replace the stock FX4 Skid Plate):

Non FX4:

I'm a bit on the fence on this now. It looks like it would be strong enough for a front winch mount (assuming you aren't hard core), but I'm not really wanting to replace the FX4 skid plate. The replacement skid plate seems quite a bit smaller than the FX4 one.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Anyone done this on an FX4 and kept the factory skid plate?

OP
OP
Mike in UT

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Looking at this again I have some thoughts.

Do you guys think it could be flipped over? If there's room between the rails you might be able to mount it upside down, cutting a hole in the lower valence for the reciever. This would keep everything tucked up into the truck, eliminating impact to approach angle and allowing the FX-4 skidplate to be retained.

Bel-Biv

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Looking at this again I have some thoughts.

Do you guys think it could be flipped over? If there's room between the rails you might be able to mount it upside down, cutting a hole in the lower valence for the reciever. This would keep everything tucked up into the truck, eliminating impact to approach angle and allowing the FX-4 skidplate to be retained.
Worth looking into.
I'm planning on getting this (and snowsport plow) and will let you know if doable.
Not an imminent purchase, but on the books - fwiw

EDIT: typos
Sponsored