Is anyone aware of a front-mount tow hitch for the Ranger yet?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
no pictures as of yet, and the instructions do not include a parts list and mention the need for a new skid plate. awaiting more info. I'm in a holding pattern.

ford ranger front mounting.PNG
In the instructions there is a picture of this new "skid" plate. I'd definitely not part with mine for what they are replacing it with if the install instructions are accurate (they appear to be as the truck definitely looks like mine).

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL 4x4 SuperCrew (R)
I made a profile just to thank you and tell you (or anyone else down the rabbit hole) this front hitch fits.
Shipping was fast it, came with zero instructions, and my factory skid plate fit back on without any issue.

My intent is to use a hitch plow (next year) but also to use my bed extender set high with a bed rack to have a full rack for light duty.

I can get pictures if it helps anyone. But for $120 I was just gonna return it if it didn’t work.

Any tips now for cheap electric snow plows (hitch mounted)? Only looking to do about 3 driveways for elderly relatives.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I made a profile just to thank you and tell you (or anyone else down the rabbit hole) this front hitch fits.
Shipping was fast it, came with zero instructions, and my factory skid plate fit back on without any issue.

My intent is to use a hitch plow (next year) but also to use my bed extender set high with a bed rack to have a full rack for light duty.

I can get pictures if it helps anyone. But for $120 I was just gonna return it if it didn’t work.

Any tips now for cheap electric snow plows (hitch mounted)? Only looking to do about 3 driveways for elderly relatives.
Post up some photo's. Looks like a very handy set-up.

Were you able to also retain the factory tow hooks?

Some type of bull bar installed into the receiver would be slick also.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

I see no pictures or links, am I missing some context? The one above one sends a new skid plate that looks anemic.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

I'm very interested to see photos as well. I'm considering getting a winch with a receiver mount and having this in the front would be extremely useful.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm very interested to see photos as well. I'm considering getting a winch with a receiver mount and having this in the front would be extremely useful.
Agreed on usefulness.

Have you ever used a front mounted receiver to maneuver a trailer into a tight area? It makes a tough task effortless.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed on usefulness.

Have you ever used a front mounted receiver to maneuver a trailer into a tight area? It makes a tough task effortless.
I have not, and given that backing up trailers is not a skill I've mastered, I would welcome anything that makes it easier. :)

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Agreed on usefulness.

I've done this many times, mostly moving trailers indoors. Keep in mind that the weight capacity of the front end can be a lot less than the rear. Trailer landing gear with a large wheel can help on smooth surfaces.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Keep in mind that the weight capacity of the front end can be a lot less than the rear.
Good point.

Grandpa had a ball mount on the front of his Ford 8N tractor which was great for maneuvering hay wagons (no tongue load) and other such stuff (sickle bar mowers, etc) into the barn. Small farm, no mega huge doors on the barn, and support columns inside to boot.

Since then I've always thought that would be handy on a vehicle too.

OP
OP
Mike in UT

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)

Could you give us links and maybe a couple pictures?
Thanks!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like there are different skid plates stock on these trucks.

The directions linked in this thread were spot on for my model.

636149937.jpg
IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1145.jpg
So you have the FX4 package?

Wondering how stout this hitch mount is? I'd LOVE to be able to install this and put my new winch either front or rear (I have a receiver mount for it), but I'm concerned this mount wouldn't be strong enough.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Factory tow hooks went right back on without any alterations. You may be able to see in the one picture that the hitch manufacturer knew the tow hook has that little finger coming off on the back side, there is a hole for it on the hitch brackets. They definitely measured a Ranger like mine when they designed it.

I locked a cheap pumpkin protector (not sure what its actually called) in the receiver just to have something in it when not in use.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you have the FX4 package?

Wondering how stout this hitch mount is? I'd LOVE to be able to install this and put my new winch either front or rear (I have a receiver mount for it), but I'm concerned this mount wouldn't be strong enough.
I have an XL 4x4, looks like it was spec-ed to be a parts runner or fleet run about.

It seems like they aren't rated like rear tow hitches they probably don't need to be. If you reach out to the manufacturer you may be able to get specs. Mine came with nothing in the box but was well boxed and came quick.

I would think with it being connected to BOTH hook mounts that you could winch with maybe double whatever one of those hooks is rated for.

The bolts shear seem to be a major factor here unless the frame would warp/collapse first.
Sponsored