is an extended warranty worth it?

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Chrysler used to offer a Lifetime powertrain warranty but they had to stop offering it as they were losing money :LOL:
Hell, they also sold a lifetime b2b (well almost) warranty. A friend of mine bought it on their hybrid minivan a few years ago. They've already made back the amount they paid on the radio headunit that just died. Batteries etc aren't covered but still...

They were dead set on a hybrid minivan and that was the only one on the market. When he mentioned the warranty option I told him normally I wouldn't but in that case it was a no brainer if it wasn't ridiculously priced (being a loaded minivan and a Chrysler LOL ).
Sponsored

GMtech

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Chevy Avalanche, 2021 Ranger Scab XL, > 2022
Occupation
Retired General Motors Auto Tech
It was through Ford and yes I have. It includes everything I’m worried about, electronics and/or power train. I’m far from new to this game and the last two times I had extended warranties on my Mustangs they paid for themselves. One a couple times over.
I agree with this! After working as a tech. at a GM dealership for 35 years, I have seen how much repair bills come out to be. Not uncommon to see $1200. dollar AC repair, transmission repairs or replacements at $3000-4000 dollar range. So do I buy extended warrantees, Yes, and I can do most of the repairs myself at home, but big dollar parts like a transmission it just makes good sense to have insurance.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I agree with this! After working as a tech. at a GM dealership for 35 years, I have seen how much repair bills come out to be. Not uncommon to see $1200. dollar AC repair, transmission repairs or replacements at $3000-4000 dollar range. So do I buy extended warrantees, Yes, and I can do most of the repairs myself at home, but big dollar parts like a transmission it just makes good sense to have insurance.
And what is the ratio of money spent on all your extended warranties compared to the extended warranty work value which you've needed?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Given a choice I'd opt for manual controls - I've had the automatic controls in half dozen autos and the only one that really worked well to maintain temp and proved reliable was in my 1991 Ford SHO - the rest of car not so good. Like so many other components of modern cars fuel economy dictates designs to be as light and as small as possible, so those ACC units made mostly of plastic sometimes aren't the most durable.
The unit in my Ranger is ok but on very hot days will not maintain the desired temp unless I manual turn up the fan speed.
I've always avoided the option. this is the first vehicle I've owned with it. I set the temp an control the fan manually. I've never ordered a new car. I usually wait until the end of the model year an find the one closest to what I want with a big discount an buy it. I got $6100 off the ranger so I took it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I bought an Allstate Premier Care 10yr/150K mi when I bought my Ranger. I've used every extended plan I've ever bought (lotta Mopars, :crackup:) and only once did I get my money back out; a transmission repair on a '99 LHS we had. The other times were just for convenience and peace of mind. It is more convenient for us to pay a $100 deductible than whatever repair bill with a credit card+ interest. Now that I'm retired, the peace of mind is the big reason.
Repair costs keep going up and the warranty is paid for.

pismo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX2
Ziegler wont sell a Ford warranty to me in California.But I just bought a warranty from Ziegler for my 2020 Jeep Wrangler on Sept of this year 2023.What is the deal,is it a state thing or Ford thing.:rolleyes:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Ziegler wont sell a Ford warranty to me in California.But I just bought a warranty from Ziegler for my 2020 Jeep Wrangler on Sept of this year 2023.What is the deal,is it a state thing or Ford thing.:rolleyes:
What did Ziegler tell you?

pismo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX2
Called and they said they can sale a contract for Jeep but not for Ford to Ca. registered vehicles.They didnt no much else.:rolleyes:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine that the folks who had trans issues after warranty could have benefitted…it was the HVAC issues that pushed me into an extended warranty
Yeah I had mine right when my original powertrain warranty ended and it kicked over to my premiumcare and I have been thanking me from 2 years ago profusely that I decided eh what the hell just to be safe. It is absolutely worth it.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah I had mine right when my original powertrain warranty ended and it kicked over to my premiumcare and I have been thanking me from 2 years ago profusely that I decided eh what the hell just to be safe. It is absolutely worth it.
I have 16 months until my 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty expires. Typically, I would wait until the 3/36 expires, but I did see the 6% price increase coming next week. I guess my wife and I have some thinking to do. She wants to roll the dice and roll money into an emergency fund rather than buy the ESP. I have to say that from past vehicles, we would have been ahead by not buying the ESP and just paying for the repairs. But...this is based on Toyota's we have owned before.

pismo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX2
Id have to think they are priced so they win most of time.Otherwise they would be out of business.
Sponsored