First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Admin Type. U.S. Navy (Retired)
I bought my 2020 Ranger used and it had 3800 miles on it. I bought the Ford extended bumper to bumper warranty only after declining the $2000+ cost. I told the finance person it was too much…..those magic words give the finance person the authority to apply discounts. I can’t remember the years, it’s 7 or 8 years and 100,000 miles bumper to bumper with a $100 deductible. After the discounts (Costco member, military, etc) it was $830 spread over the life of the loan. For me, totally worth it to have that piece of mind.
Sponsored

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I wish I had all the money back that I spent on extended warranties over the years. Only once did I actually use it. The repair would have cost about half of what I paid, so still a net loss. That said, at those times in my life I thought it was better to have peace of mind, than worry about a major repair bill. I'm no longer in that position, so I no longer buy them.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I bought my 2020 Ranger used and it had 3800 miles on it. I bought the Ford extended bumper to bumper warranty only after declining the $2000+ cost. I told the finance person it was too much…..those magic words give the finance person the authority to apply discounts. I can’t remember the years, it’s 7 or 8 years and 100,000 miles bumper to bumper with a $100 deductible. After the discounts (Costco member, military, etc) it was $830 spread over the life of the loan. For me, totally worth it to have that piece of mind.
I am not sure whether the extended warranty you purchased was a third party offered from your finance mangers office or whether it was the genuine Ford Protect.

Hate to tell you, NEITHER are bumper to bumper coverages. They are quite inclusive, but not bumper to bumper.

Have you read your contract?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Cars or so reliable these days, as a whole, that it’s almost never financially feasible to pay thousands of dollars for these extended warranty‘s. Even if it’s a Chrysler..

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Admin Type. U.S. Navy (Retired)
I am not sure whether the extended warranty you purchased was a third party offered from your finance mangers office or whether it was the genuine Ford Protect.

Hate to tell you, NEITHER are bumper to bumper coverages. They are quite inclusive, but not bumper to bumper.

Have you read your contract?
It was through Ford and yes I have. It includes everything I’m worried about, electronics and/or power train. I’m far from new to this game and the last two times I had extended warranties on my Mustangs they paid for themselves. One a couple times over.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
It was through Ford and yes I have. It includes everything I’m worried about, electronics and/or power train. I’m far from new to this game and the last two times I had extended warranties on my Mustangs they paid for themselves. One a couple times over.
Was just correcting your post #76, FORD PROTECT is NOT a bumper to bumper extended warranty. Stating so is incorrect. If it covers "everything you're worried about" that's great, but it perhaps misleads others.

Overall, its a pretty long list of coverages! and if bought from an online dealer, like Zeigler, you can save some major money. Zeigler still has the $250 off using promo code "PAYINFULL". https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

The Ford Protect PremiumCARE Extended Service Plan is so comprehensive, it's easier to refer you to what isn't covered—here are the highlights:

Fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework, side and rearview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise, weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers, convertible top and bow.

Repairs Related to Your Maintenance Requirements — Items listed in your vehicle's owner guide. Examples include: batteries of all types and cables, belts, hoses, hose clamps, brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, linings, disc rotors, pads), manual transmission clutch disc, exhaust system (includes catalytic converter), spark plugs, squeaks, rattles, tires, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, all lamps and lights (LED and HID lights, bulbs, sealed beam and lenses) except when purchased with New or Incomplete PremiumCARE Interior/Exterior Lighting Option, fogging of lamp assemblies, shock absorbers, service adjustments and cleaning, and scheduled maintenance services.

Other Components and Repairs — Fabric, liners, fasteners, carpets, dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery, physical damage or cosmetic issues, repairs covered by manufacturer recalls, any insurance or if the vehicle is within the time and mileage limits of any warranty, repairs caused by improper unreasonable use, unauthorized alterations or modifications of the vehicle, and repairs caused by lack of required or recommended maintenance. Costs or expenses for the teardown, rental expense, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by this Agreement. Refer to contract for details.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm thinking about one after seeing a few people have the problems with the heat/ac not operating an it being a $1700 repair. Normally I'd tackle it myself an not bother but the posts I read said the entire dash had to be removed to fix it. This could be because the dealership is just replacing the whole thing. I have 15K left on my bumper to bumper to buy one an if someone comes up with a reasonable home repair I probably won't buy it.

I bought them in the past. The ex an I both worked full time an we were dependent on having two cars. The extended warranty came with a rental car while in the shop.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Like any insurance . . . it's a gamble.

When you need it, it's likely worth the $$$.

If you never use it, you may view it as a waste of $$$.
I used to sell insurance an I always told people the only insurance I promise you you'll use is life insurance an that's the one most people avoid lol

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I'm thinking about one after seeing a few people have the problems with the heat/ac not operating an it being a $1700 repair. Normally I'd tackle it myself an not bother but the posts I read said the entire dash had to be removed to fix it. This could be because the dealership is just replacing the whole thing. I have 15K left on my bumper to bumper to buy one an if someone comes up with a reasonable home repair I probably won't buy it.

I bought them in the past. The ex an I both worked full time an we were dependent on having two cars. The extended warranty came with a rental car while in the shop.
Saab had a number of problems with their ACC units (made by Valeo) - at 1st the fix was to take the dash apart and remove the assembly, but most of the issues were failures in the blend door mechanisms - cracked shafts, gears misaligning, etc. Eventually fixes were available that allowed for repairs without tearing the dash apart, hopefully this will be the case with Ford.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Saab had a number of problems with their ACC units (made by Valeo) - at 1st the fix was to take the dash apart and remove the assembly, but most of the issues were failures in the blend door mechanisms - cracked shafts, gears misaligning, etc. Eventually fixes were available that allowed for repairs without tearing the dash apart, hopefully this will be the case with Ford.
That's what I'm thinking will happen. My brother has replaced a few in his older Ford edge an explorer. I'm wondering if the auto climate control is hard on the actuators/motors because they constantly adjust the blend doors to keep the temp at the set number vs cranking a knob to red or blue an it staying there until the driver moves it again.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Cars or so reliable these days, as a whole, that it’s almost never financially feasible to pay thousands of dollars for these extended warranty‘s. Even if it’s a Chrysler..
Chrysler used to offer a Lifetime powertrain warranty but they had to stop offering it as they were losing money :LOL:

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Chrysler used to offer a Lifetime powertrain warranty but they had to stop offering it as they were losing money :LOL:
Yea, if you purchased that plan when it was available.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
That's what I'm thinking will happen. My brother has replaced a few in his older Ford edge an explorer. I'm wondering if the auto climate control is hard on the actuators/motors because they constantly adjust the blend doors to keep the temp at the set number vs cranking a knob to red or blue an it staying there until the driver moves it again.
Given a choice I'd opt for manual controls - I've had the automatic controls in half dozen autos and the only one that really worked well to maintain temp and proved reliable was in my 1991 Ford SHO - the rest of car not so good. Like so many other components of modern cars fuel economy dictates designs to be as light and as small as possible, so those ACC units made mostly of plastic sometimes aren't the most durable.
The unit in my Ranger is ok but on very hot days will not maintain the desired temp unless I manual turn up the fan speed.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
It is a Ford manufacturers warranty that goes to 115k miles. It appears that everything is covered, including powertrain, engine components, transmission, electrical, air and heating, brakes, suspension, steering, fuel delivery, emission components, and roadside assistance.
I heard once from an industry insider that the trick is to get full electrical coverage. This is because a lot of seemingly mechanical issues at their core are caused by an electrical issue, and then they have a way to deny your claim. Even transmission issues. If you don't get full electrical coverage you may as well not bother.

All that said, everyone has to realize extended warranties are still a profit gain for Ford and you are bargaining that you will get your money's worth. Ford has heavy math and average calculations on their side to know, almost within certainty that they will on average profit from extended warranty sales.
Sponsored