iPhone won't connect to Sync3

dadofella

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab
For a couple of weeks while plugged into the USB my phone would disconnect and reconnect while driving. Last night it disconnected and now wont reconnect. The phone battery still charges so I don't think it is the cables. There is a Sync update that I have not loaded yet. Could it be because I have not updated or would it be something else?
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Is your phone updated? Sometimes mine is finicky if my phone is not updated. I have not done the sync 3 upgrade since October 2020. One thing to note is to let sync 3 fully load before plugging in the phone. Sometimes it will bug up sync 3 if plugged in right when you get in the car without it pre loading everything.

EDIT: Apple Iphone

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
For a couple of weeks while plugged into the USB my phone would disconnect and reconnect while driving. Last night it disconnected and now wont reconnect. The phone battery still charges so I don't think it is the cables. There is a Sync update that I have not loaded yet. Could it be because I have not updated or would it be something else?
I have the same problem. I'm waiting until the first oil change and going to have the dealer look at it. I suspect it's something to do with Apple

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Don't rule out the cable just because it still charges. Try another one

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I moved mine to the other port when this happened. It connected on the other port and then magically started working on the first port. I've had nothing but issue with Ford and CarPlay. I never had issues like this with my previous car. I've been using only Apple cables, just to make sure I'm not adding any issues to the system.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
It can absolutely still charge while the cable is the issue. Are you using a cheap cable? I'd start here before getting worked up about it.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I moved mine to the other port when this happened. It connected on the other port and then magically started working on the first port. I've had nothing but issue with Ford and CarPlay. I never had issues like this with my previous car. I've been using only Apple cables, just to make sure I'm not adding any issues to the system.
This has been my experience as well.
Sometimes just unplugging the cable at the port has worked

I recently had an iPod that failed to communicate, swapped the cable out with no luck then tried a different iPod on the same cable and it worked….???
Took the “in question” iPod to another vehicle and it worked without issue…??

My Sync3 has never accepted an update, tried numerous times and it never updates.
Ford CS has been called several times and the answer is always go to the dealer. At the dealer I always get a sob story about how long it’s gonna take to update.
Maybe one day I’ll just leave it with them.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
The other replies basically cover everything. Sync can be sort of buggy. Once my left USB port just stopped working. Right port worked, but left wouldn't connect or charge the phone. After a restart it came back to life.

Also, if you have 2 devices connected (in my case an ipod and iphone) you have to connect one, let it get connected, then connect the other device. You can't connect them both at the same time, 9 out of 10 times it won't find both devices unless you do them 1 at a time.

Definitely update your phone if it isn't already.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
CABLES GO BAD OFTEN....ALSO OXIDATION ON USB CONNECTORS ;)
Sponsored