First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Im thinking about installing a 1000w inverter in the cab of the truck does anyone have a good way to route the 0 gauge wires into the cab?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
0 Gauge for an 1000 WATT Inverter sound like a lot.... Might want to look at 4 or 6 Gauge instead. As for a good place, I know there are various rubber plugs in the cab. I would look at those first.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
There are 2 good ways.
1. There is a grommet behind the glove box. Cut a slit in it, run the wires out. This is how I wired my switches.
2. There is a grommet under the carpet on the passenger's side. You have to run the wires under the truck, then up into the floorboard. This is how I wired my GMRS.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
0 Gauge for an 1000 WATT Inverter sound like a lot.... Might want to look at 4 or 6 Gauge instead. As for a good place, I know there are various rubber plugs in the cab. I would look at those first.
Depending on run length neither of those sizes would be adequate. Inverters are not 100% efficient, and pulling that type of power likely droops your voltage quite a bit. I’d expect most inverters in that range to be fused at 100 amps.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Depending on run length neither of those sizes would be adequate. Inverters are not 100% efficient, and pulling that type of power likely droops your voltage quite a bit. I’d expect most inverters in that range to be fused at 100 amps.
I'm just curious if you have seen a 0 Gauge cable before..... You are aware on how big those are right?

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I'm just curious if you have seen a 0 Gauge cable before..... You are aware on how big those are right?
Yes, generally I don’t let size dictate acceptable resistance and voltage drop though. I ran 2 gauge for my winch anderson connector which is certainly a bit undersized.

0 gauge is overkill at likely run length but 6 gauge may be inadequate.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, generally I don’t let size dictate acceptable resistance and voltage drop though. I ran 2 gauge for my winch anderson connector which is certainly a bit undersized.

0 gauge is overkill at likely run length but 6 gauge may be inadequate.
A 1000 WATT Inverter will be fine with 4 or 6 Gauge wire. Also with the OP planning to have it in the cab I suspect he most likely won't use it to it's full potential. As for your winch I'm sure 2 gauge is just fine.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
A 1000 WATT Inverter will be fine with 4 or 6 Gauge wire. Also with the OP planning to have it in the cab I suspect he most likely won't use it to it's full potential. As for your winch I'm sure 2 gauge is just fine.
You know there are calculators where you can determine voltage drop, right? Appreciate your intuition though.;)

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Im thinking about installing a 1000w inverter in the cab of the truck does anyone have a good way to route the 0 gauge wires into the cab?
Question (as I have considere3d this for my rig but NOT extremely knowlegable on the topic): Is the inverter a pure sine wave type or modified sine wave? Does wire size needed change depending on inverter type??

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You know there are calculators where you can determine voltage drop, right? Appreciate your intuition though.;)
I'm well aware. Most manufacturers will give you a chart for their products just in case. Also dealing with many different types of Forklifts at work I can tell you that I have seen much higher loads not use as big of a wire.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Question (as I have considere3d this for my rig but NOT extremely knowlegable on the topic): Is the inverter a pure sine wave type or modified sine wave? Does wire size needed change depending on inverter type??
I can't say too much on that, but if you look in the manual for the particular inverter it will most likely let you know what wire to use and what length

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Generally not. Efficiency may vary by model but I’d expect power draw to be similar.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Use a high strand count wire, easier to bend.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Also you’re looking at about 84 amps under full load.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Depending on the efficiency that could be up to 100 amp draw @ 12volts. It definitely will be more then a Ranger battery can handle without damage for more then short periods.
Sponsored