Intermediate Right turn grind?

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Just took it to the dealer for this issue yesterday. They took a look and claimed it's the steering bump stop. They greased up the bump stop and advised me not to turn the wheel so hard. I'm skeptical but we'll see
Sponsored

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just took it to the dealer for this issue yesterday. They took a look and claimed it's the steering bump stop. They greased up the bump stop and advised me not to turn the wheel so hard. I'm skeptical but we'll see
Lol don’t turn the wheel so hard? Well shit guess I’ll go straight into this tree then. Thanks guys!

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I also have this occasionally on an FX2, on both sharp left and right turns. It occurs on flat ground though, so road transitions (as mentioned in an earlier post) don't play a role in at least my cases.

Similarly, I haven't been able to isolate what causes it...

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
How many times would someone need to make sharp and/or full-lock turns? Should be once in a blue moon no?

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
I hope some of you guys were able to get this resolved, I've been noticing my 2021 has making a low groaning noise with any kind of right turn. Did not notice it on the initial test drive but that might have just been me passing it off as the turbo but at 100 miles I can replicate it consistently , going to check with a dealer next week

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
I hope some of you guys were able to get this resolved, I've been noticing my 2021 has making a low groaning noise with any kind of right turn. Did not notice it on the initial test drive but that might have just been me passing it off as the turbo but at 100 miles I can replicate it consistently , going to check with a dealer next week
If you can replicate it can you record what it sounds like? This is still pretty vague (unless the OP can let us know his/her result?)…

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer, Student
If you can replicate it can you record what it sounds like? This is still pretty vague (unless the OP can let us know his/her result?)…

I Tried the other day but its pretty hard to hear, its pretty consistent though. I'll give it another try.

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer, Student
Got it pretty clear here, Right turn with a lot of grinding followed by silent left turn. Going to drive it the 60 miles back to the dealer Wednesday since my local dealer won't look at it till the 20th of October. Big bummer, just hope its not going to be something that takes months to fix as I bought this truck since we are down to one vehicle

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Got it pretty clear here, Right turn with a lot of grinding followed by silent left turn. Going to drive it the 60 miles back to the dealer Wednesday since my local dealer won't look at it till the 20th of October. Big bummer, just hope its not going to be something that takes months to fix as I bought this truck since we are down to one vehicle

I think I have what you have... Mine sounds way louder and way clunkier and my vehicle will actually halt to a stop a little if I force acceleration hard enough... I read somewhere about sand or debris getting where the brake rotors are, sort of makes sense. Mine will only happy every once in a long while now. Happened pretty consistently first 6 months but I try to replicate it the same way and same areas it used to happen and I can't get it to happen. I also took vehicle into dealer for service check and they said it was all good but keep note if I can make it happen consistently.

EDIT: My hard grinding sound will come from left front tire wheel well area and only coming off of driveways in a full lock right turn.

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer, Student
I think I have what you have... Mine sounds way louder and way clunkier and my vehicle will actually halt to a stop a little if I force acceleration hard enough... I read somewhere about sand or debris getting where the brake rotors are, sort of makes sense. Mine will only happy every once in a long while now. Happened pretty consistently first 6 months but I try to replicate it the same way and same areas it used to happen and I can't get it to happen. I also took vehicle into dealer for service check and they said it was all good but keep note if I can make it happen consistently.

EDIT: My hard grinding sound will come from left front tire wheel well area and only coming off of driveways in a full lock right turn.
I hope its just a rock or something, although I have only driven on roads from the dealer to my house, my noise starts with pretty much any right turn.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly what mine is doing, and like all of you it only does it occasionally. I can just see myself taking it to the dealer and having it not grind. I've taken it there twice to find a driveway angle that will reproduce it and there aren't any. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
This is exactly what mine is doing, and like all of you it only does it occasionally. I can just see myself taking it to the dealer and having it not grind. I've taken it there twice to find a driveway angle that will reproduce it and there aren't any. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.
Exactly what I was thinking. Comes and goes and I know the dealer/I won't be able to reproduce it over there and if they do. Would they know what to do? Been reading threads up and down on this issue and there seems to be 3 different things people mentioned. Dust cover pad, sand in brake rotors, and complete change out of brake rotors and more. Just odd that it's not consistent and disappears, so I feel like it is sand/debris somewhere. Oh and there was another solution, something about toe alignment being ever so slightly off. I think I noticed it less when discount tire did my alignments. But could be in my head.
Sponsored