Interesting story about the ongoing saga with parts shortage.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Shut down every gun store and the European/Russian Mafia will start importing some really, really good stuff over here.

I can't wait. :D

But yeah, getting back on topic...I hope the auto industry is learning something from all of this.

Mr. Spock once said that the Vulcans have a saying.

"Only Nixon could go to China."

;)
Post all there pages in one post:
  • My dad bought a 1969 Econoline for his business. He was always a Chevy guy, but his favorite dealer didn't have any, so he bought the Econoline off the Ford dealer's lot.
  • He was a life long Republican. I remember him saying during the 1964 election: "Everybody says if you vote for Goldwater, we'lll be in Viet Nam within a year. Well sure enough, I voted for Goldwater, LBJ won, and we went to Viet Nam."
  • Funny thing about chips: there seems to be no shortage of next-gen phones from any of the major brands, notwithstanding all the cargo ships floating offshore. Hmmm...
Sponsored

Last edited:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
That looks similar to all the F150's that were parked at the Kentucky Speedway earlier this year. Over 60,000 sitting waiting for microchips and it doesn't seem to be getting any better anytime soon.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/a-sea-of-incomplete-ford-f-150-pickups-over-60000-and-counting/

Sea of Ford F-150 Pickups.jpg
Makes me wonder what they are going to do when they finally get chips and these cars have been there for two or three years. I know the rental market wont care but people don't want to go to a dealership and buy a brand new off the truck vehicle from 2019 in 2023. They will have to HEAVILY discount them.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Imagine your new car that you purchased has been sitting in a rock quarry for months, getting beat up by the elements. Kinda like a pic of some new corvettes I saw awhile back covered in snow sitting in the front line at a dealer

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Imagine your new car that you purchased has been sitting in a rock quarry for months, getting beat up by the elements. Kinda like a pic of some new corvettes I saw awhile back covered in snow sitting in the front line at a dealer
There were many who had their Bronco's sitting in a huge dirt lot since May. They estimated somewhere between 5,000-7,000 just sitting their awaiting chips and new hardtops. Some of those have finally shipped out after sitting there for 5+ months. Some had already sold their vehicle or gave up their lease thinking they'd be delivered right after production. Crazy times e'reliving in right now!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
LMAO? Currently dealing with 'senior services' in Florida (or lack thereof).

Elderly sister diagnosed with alzheimers/dementia, lives alone, wants no help, drives without a driver's license and is apparently locked out of the 'system' unless someone has big money to pay an attorney (5 figures I've been advised). Lost her home in a scam, husband laid deceased for over a week until a 'welfare check' discovered him. Local hospice refused to help him even though he was clearly bed ridden.

I can do little for her as I have my own health issues. Most people in this forum won't be able to retire at all, as they will have to work until they fall over dead.

I was able to retire early at 60 due to work related physical disabilities, a worker's comp law firm and a union contract. Most here will have nothing - that should concern every citizen in this once great nation.
I’m so sorry about your sister’s situation. It’s hard dealing with someone with Alzheimer’s. My mother had it. Diagnosed at age 64. Alzheimer’s is a horrible disease for all involved and it’s also difficult to find help (I don’t care what they say- when it comes down to it, it’s hard to get help). I will pray for your sister and your family.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Post all there pages in one post:
  • Funny thing about chips: there seems to be no shortage of next-gen phones from any of the major brands, notwithstanding all the cargo ships floating offshore. Hmmm...
The issue automakers are having isn't that there are no chips, it's that they want the wrong kind and they gave up their spot in line to have them made.

The microprocessors used in most cars are several generations behind those in mobile devices and computers. Car makers are more concerned with longevity and cost rather than size and processing speed. Intel, TSMC, and others have little incentive to add capacity on outdated model lines just to please the auto industry when all of their other customers don't want those models.

The other issue is that when car sales pancaked in April 2020, U.S. automakers decided to save money by canceling their orders for chips. When they did this they lost their place in the production queue; now that consumer demand has rebounded they're at the end of the proverbial line with regard to their orders behind the likes of Samsung, Apple, Cisco, IBM, etc.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The issue automakers are having isn't that there are no chips, it's that they want the wrong kind and they gave up their spot in line to have them made.

The microprocessors used in most cars are several generations behind those in mobile devices and computers. Car makers are more concerned with longevity and cost rather than size and processing speed. Intel, TSMC, and others have little incentive to add capacity on outdated model lines just to please the auto industry when all of their other customers don't want those models.

The other issue is that when car sales pancaked in April 2020, U.S. automakers decided to save money by canceling their orders for chips. When they did this they lost their place in the production queue; now that consumer demand has rebounded they're at the end of the proverbial line with regard to their orders behind the likes of Samsung, Apple, Cisco, IBM, etc.
Your reply is very accurate, but on a selfish plane, I'd like to know why my Bestop Trekstep, which contains no electronics, that I ordered back on July 23rd hasn't arrived. They send automated, boilerplate messages ("Your order is extremely important to us , and we are doing everything we can...etc) about once a month, so I assume/hope my order has been produced and is sitting 3 miles off the California coast on a rusty container ship. Meanwhile, the Samsung Galaxy Ultra, (Viet Nam) iPhone 13 (China) and Google Pixel 6 (China), all announced after I placed my order with Bestop, are readily available at my local phone store, In fact, Google has a enough in this country that Verizon is currently offering a Get two for the price of one deal.

Bonus Rant! Read one get one free!!
Bestop did however charge my credit card the day after I submitted the order :mad:. Nobody's got them for a 5G Ranger that I can find, so I haven't cancelled my order.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
When Clinton came up with NAFTA, and then Bush came along with CAFTA it when out of control. My area grew up with the textile industry. I watched that industry die, and many good people lose their jobs, because all of the work went to China. It just got worse from there. Until we get these blue collar jobs back to the USA we are at the mercy of foriegn manufacturers, and an archaic supply chain. This isn't political, it's a fact. And sadly none of our politicians, no matter what side of the aisle they set on, give's a flying shit.

Last edited:

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Your reply is very accurate, but on a selfish plane, I'd like to know why my Bestop Trekstep, which contains no electronics, that I ordered back on July 23rd hasn't arrived. They send automated, boilerplate messages ("Your order is extremely important to us , and we are doing everything we can...etc) about once a month, so I assume/hope my order has been produced and is sitting 3 miles off the California coast on a rusty container ship. Meanwhile, the Samsung Galaxy Ultra, (Viet Nam) iPhone 13 (China) and Google Pixel 6 (China), all announced after I placed my order with Bestop, are readily available at my local phone store, In fact, Google has a enough in this country that Verizon is currently offering a Get two for the price of one deal.

Bonus Rant! Read one get one free!!
Bestop did however charge my credit card the day after I submitted the order :mad:. Nobody's got them for a 5G Ranger that I can find, so I haven't cancelled my order.
The supply issue you're referencing is definitely more nuanced than the microchip issue. I've been trying to educate myself on what goes where but there are so many layers to logistics that I get lost in the details. As far as I can tell you have to account for: country of origin, destination port, whether it's a chartered ship or not, whether the cargo is palletized inside the containers or floor loaded (i.e. just stacked inside), how valuable the cargo is (e.g. a container of iPhones is worth way more than a container of truck accessories), how many CDL drivers the shipping company can muster, along with many other variables that are over my head. There are 60-80 ships waiting to unload in SoCal on any given day so who knows when this mess will start to untangle.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
... Most people in this forum won't be able to retire at all, as they will have to work until they fall over dead.
If people on this forum will never be able to retire, they shouldn't be dropping 30-45K on a vehicle.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Most people in this forum won't be able to retire at all, as they will have to work until they fall over dead.

Most here will have nothing
Sorry but that's a pretty BOLD (and I'm being nice here) statement to make about 11,000 member you know nothing about.

How do you know what everyones financial well being is? You don't! Most here just joke when they say this forum is draining their bank account, it's called satire. You've been a member here for a whole month and already know we're all broke and going to work until we "drop dead'? :facepalm:

Please tell me tonight winning lottery numbers so I can enjoy my miserable life and not stress about working, bills, my Ranger mods and of course dropping dead. ?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Wife doesn't really understand this. She wants a GR Supra 3.0. They are $55k new IF you can find them. All she sees are used ones in the car lot and they want $75k. She understands the chip shortage but not that her new car is being ablated by the sun every day.

I was planning to get her paint color corrected and ceramic coated by a professional but it will be required after this.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I came here to see how many big brain supply chain experts we have in this forum and boy was I not disappointed.

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Please tell me tonight winning lottery numbers so I can enjoy my miserable life and not stress about working, bills, my Ranger mods and of course dropping dead. ?
Dave, you still need to win the lottery even with all those damper and 303 royalties coming in?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If people on this forum will never be able to retire, they shouldn't be dropping 30-45K on a vehicle.
Many on the forum are retired, myself included. I worked long and hard, saved, did without, so we can live very comfortably. Put kids thru collage, paid off home, cars, and truck.
Do not lump us all togather, and be aware that many here are still working, hard to maintain their families, homes, life style.
As for "dropping" 30-45 grand on a vehicle...well, thats what cars/trucks are going for these days. Even an econobox runs 25 grand. Just the cost of things in this day and age. My first car, new, in 1964, was $2200.00. Seems like a small amount, but when your making $1.25 an hour, it was a huge amount. I didn't "drop" it was a necessity.
Don't judge until you have been here awhile.
Sponsored