What's the deal with dealer discounts?

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Been researching Rangers for about 6 months and have been looking to purchase one for the past 2. I've been to a few local dealers here in western NY since July and have worked numbers online with several more. One thing I noticed is the dealer discounts around me are very lack luster compared to what I see in the thread for telling what you paid.

The first dealer I went to was only going to give me $750 off MSRP and the best I've gotten after about an hour going back and forth with the sales manager was only $1700 off. Now looking online on Car Gurus I can see plenty of Rangers that have dealer discounts of $4000+ (although some have fine print saying you have to be a resident of the state the dealer is located). But there are numerous people on here that are claiming to have gotten similar sized dealer discounts in that one sticky thread for what you paid.

So how are these dealers able to give such deep discounts? Aren't they loosing their ass on these things if the mark up from invoice to MSRP is only a couple grand? And how do I get in on these discounts? Because If I could get as good a price as some other members have, I would have had one some time ago.

And to clarify I am not talking about Ford rebates I am talking the discount that the individual dealers will give below MSRP. I understand that the rebates are determined by region and there isn't much you can do about them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Been researching Rangers for about 6 months and have been looking to purchase one for the past 2. I've been to a few local dealers here in western NY since July and have worked numbers online with several more. One thing I noticed is the dealer discounts around me are very lack luster compared to what I see in the thread for telling what you paid.
The first dealer I went to was only going to give me $750 off MSRP and the best I've gotten after about an hour going back and forth with the sales manager was only $1700 off. Now looking online on Car Gurus I can see plenty of Rangers that have dealer discounts of $4000+ (although some have fine print saying you have to be a resident of the state the dealer is located). But there are numerous people on here that are claiming to have gotten similar sized dealer discounts in that one sticky thread for what you paid.

So how are these dealers able to give such deep discounts? Aren't they loosing their ass on these things if the mark up from invoice to MSRP is only a couple grand? And how do I get in on these discounts? Because If I could get as good a price as some other members have, I would have had one some time ago.

And to clarify I am not talking about Ford rebates I am talking the discount that the individual dealers will give below MSRP. I understand that the rebates are determined by region and there isn't much you can do about them.
I was in the very same situation this past June when pricing a 2019, however the dealers here (just 3 in Honolulu) were perfectly happy to gouge me by marking up the MSRP by as much as eight thousand dollars.
They cited the fact that the truck was new to the market and therefore commanded the absurd price, of course I told them what they could do with their vehicles.
Fast forward to August when I learned about Ford's X-Plan Pricing program on this forum, you may want to check out the details here: https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm
I joined the Mustang Club of America, a recognized Ford partner for a paltry $25 to take advantage of this program and have a 2020 SuperCab on order.
The only drawback is that, according to Fords rules, you must of been a member of this club for 60 days before being able to reap it's benefits.
Not sure what your situation is, but I have no problem with the wait, incidentally my 60 day period elapsed late September.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I was in the very same situation this past June when pricing a 2019, however the dealers here (just 3 in Honolulu) were perfectly happy to gouge me by marking up the MSRP by as much as eight thousand dollars.
They cited the fact that the truck was new to the market and therefore commanded the absurd price, of course I told them what they could do with their vehicles.
Fast forward to August when I learned about Ford's X-Plan Pricing program on this forum, you may want to check out the details here: https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm
I joined the Mustang Club of America, a recognized Ford partner for a paltry $25 to take advantage of this program and have a 2020 SuperCab on order.
The only drawback is that, according to Fords rules, you must of been a member of this club for 60 days before being able to reap it's benefits.
Not sure what your situation is, but I have no problem with the wait, incidentally my 60 day period elapsed late September.
8 GRAND?! I know there's a sucker born every minute, but come on! I would have laughed in their face.

I had seen the thread for the x plan pricing but even that doesn't come close to the massive discounts people seem to be getting quite regularly. Which is what im hoping to attain.

Definitely seems like if I want the good prices I'm going to have to travel for it.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
8 GRAND?! I know there's a sucker born every minute, but come on! I would have laughed in their face.

I had seen the thread for the x plan pricing but even that doesn't come close to the massive discounts people seem to be getting quite regularly. Which is what im hoping to attain.

Definitely seems like if I want the good prices I'm going to have to travel for it.
Lucky that you have the option of interstate travel, that is out of the question here.
I did however briefly work with a broker in Los Angeles, the prices they gave on a 2019 were attractive, but I would of incurred travel/lodging costs to fly there and shipping cost for the truck from Long Beach to Honolulu, to the tune of $2500.
Another reason I went with the X plan is that I had to special order the vehicle because I prefer a SuperCab over the S/Crew, S/Cabs are rarer than an honest politician on any dealer's lot.
Hoping you find the best deal on your quest.
Sponsored