First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like there is now a chip shortage. Ford and others will have to cut production!

Ford Motor Co, Toyota Motor Corp 7203.T, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Nissan Motor Co Ltd said on Friday they would cut vehicle production this month due to a shortage of semiconductors, becoming the latest automakers hit by a chip crunch as demand rebounds from the coronavirus crisis.

Honda Motor Co also said Friday its output in Japan could be affected by a shortage of semiconductors.

Automakers and electronic makers are facing a global shortage of chips as consumer demand has been bouncing back from the coronavirus pandemic, causing manufacturing delays.
https://www.reuters.com/article/hon...issan-to-cut-vehicle-production-idUSL4N2JJ0JF
Sponsored

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Yes. I guess it would've helped if I remembered to put the link in there! :headbang:
We need to be much less dependent on China as a supplier and especially for our pharmaceuticals. Temporary shutdowns like this are a small price to pay to achieve more diversity in our suppliers.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We need to be much less dependent on China as a supplier and especially for our pharmaceuticals. Temporary shutdowns like this are a small price to pay to achieve more diversify in our suppliers.
HI Al,

Ford learned this lesson....then repeated the mistake time and time again to single source a part only to have the supplier fail and halt production of vehicles. Also with technology....The Ranger driveshaft, single piece aluminum, was produced in house with a process to attach the ends called Magnaform. It was a huge machine which applied pressure and a magnetic field that put the ends on the tube. All was well for many years although the process was scary to me. The hum, the vibrations etc... Then the tool exploded and severely injured the operator....no replacement tool. Got one in short order and production continued...then this tool exploded too, but thankfully no injuries. So then the company got smart and had a stand by tool. I suspect that process is no longer used and is one of the reasons the 5G has a two piece steel drive shaft.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I've got 50 computers on order from CDW. Ordered them in December. I don't expect them to be delivered until February and then in dibsc and dabs until the order is filled. Supply chain for many goods is empty. JIT to the extreme.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I've got 50 computers on order from CDW. Ordered them in December. I don't expect them to be delivered until February and then in dibsc and dabs until the order is filled. Supply chain for many goods is empty. JIT to the extreme.
In my hometown there is a rash of catalytic converter thefts. Next they will start stealing the semiconductors from our Rangers. ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
1/15/21.....This doesn't look good. :shock:

U.S. Automakers Plead for Government Help in Growing Chip Crisis

American automakers are asking the U.S. government to help solve a debilitating shortage of computer chips that is closing auto factories worldwide and could restrict production until the fall.
“Even if you solve this today, you’d have an entire quarter that’s going to be impacted,” Blunt said. “So it’s really going to have an impact through the first half of this year. And the longer it takes to resolve, the more it will bleed into the third quarter.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ad-for-government-help-in-growing-chip-crisis

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
They're in deep doo-doo if they think the U.S. Government can do anything. We all know those seven deadly words. "We're the Government, we're here to help".

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They're in deep doo-doo if they think the U.S. Government can do anything. We all know those seven deadly words. "We're the Government, we're here to help".
You're right Jim the govt is not going to do a darn thing. If anything it will only get worse now! :mad:

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well there goes your Bronco. They may never make it to the dealers :facepalm:
Well mine was always going to be a MY'22 so I'm not all that concerned. My bigger fear is gas shooting up and if that happens I'll just cancel it and as I don't need one,I want one. ?‍♂
Sponsored