Interesting story about the ongoing saga with parts shortage.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
prediction is worst of chip shortage has passed but it will take another 6-9 months to catch up to consumer vehicles so like Q3 of next year

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX 4x4, Focus, Mustang, F150, MC's
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
That looks similar to all the F150's that were parked at the Kentucky Speedway earlier this year. Over 60,000 sitting waiting for microchips and it doesn't seem to be getting any better anytime soon.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/a-sea-of-incomplete-ford-f-150-pickups-over-60000-and-counting/

Sea of Ford F-150 Pickups.jpg
Those are actually Super Duty's. Ford make F150's in Dearborn, Michigan and Kansas City, Missouri. Rumor is the Transit Plant is down so they have more chips for the F150 side in Kansas City.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Those are actually Super Duty's. Ford make F150's in Dearborn, Michigan and Kansas City, Missouri. Rumor is the Transit Plant is down so they have more chips for the F150 side in Kansas City.
You're right I copied the wrong picture. The one above was the Super Duty's, there's two different ones in this one article. But there are/where 60,000-70,000 F150's sitting without chips, just not in Kentucky.:wink:

Aerial views show only a portion of the over 60,000 to 70,000 Ford F-150 pickups sitting idle waiting to be completed.

Ford-F-150-Pickups.jpg

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Up by my house, GM builds the Colorado/ Canyon twins. They have them parked in a field by a rock quarry. I took this picture the other day. Have to zoom in to see but there are thousands of trucks hid out here. This supply chain is hurting everyone

9C019A8D-A919-4385-8B47-0120707CA5FB.jpeg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I wonder....
If these trucks were built in 2021, and the parts shortage is going to continue into 2022, how will these trucks be marketed ? Can't re-vin them as 2022's. Not used, so maybe "leftover" 2021's...
And will they be discounted cause they will be a year old, or older when they are finally completed and sold ? How much of a discount cause their going to compete with the new 2022's that will be in currant production.
Curious to see how this plays out.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I wonder....
If these trucks were built in 2021, and the parts shortage is going to continue into 2022, how will these trucks be marketed ? Can't re-vin them as 2022's. Not used, so maybe "leftover" 2021's...
And will they be discounted cause they will be a year old, or older when they are finally completed and sold ? How much of a discount cause their going to compete with the new 2022's that will be in currant production.
A few of us at the office were having that same discussion after I showed them my picture. They were all going to drive out to see it too?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wonder....
Many on the Bronco forum asked that same question and there's a guy there who works at the Kentucky plant. He said they'll still be sold as a 2021 and no they can not be re-Vin. Of course there was a big uproar (I don't blame them) as some of these have been sitting for months awaiting chips and a new hardtop. Now the 2022's will be out and they're getting their 2021's in 2022 which are now a year old vehicle.

I guess on the bright side the insurance might be a little cheaper seeing as it's a year old and if they have a vehicle tax like we do here that might be cheaper too.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I wonder....
They'll be sold as '21s in '22 CHEAP, compared to the '22s. Manufacturers will likely attach incentives to the '21s.

It'll be no different than buying any other "leftover" model year. Just a whole lot more of them.

I bought my 2017 FiST in 2018 for a steal. There were still a couple of '17's left in early '19 that people got even better deals on.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Fords will probably sell. But take the Chebbies, crush em and re-cycle the materials.
Those sitting at the quarry might be some indication of what GM intends to do with em...bury em.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They'll be sold as '21s in '22 CHEAP, compared to the '22s. Manufacturers will likely attach incentives to the '21s.

It'll be no different than buying any other "leftover" model year. Just a whole lot more of them.

I bought my 2017 FiST in 2018 for a steal. There were still a couple of '17's left in early '19 that people got even better deals on.
But most of these are already sold so they won't be discounted. Plus with the shortages I doubt dealers or Ford will have any large incentives for 21's as they know they will sell. Who's going to want to wait months for a '22 to be built when there's a new '21 sitting there.

Like you I've bought many leftover ones for a killer deal but times have changed. Heck just look at the used market I see no reason they'd discount a new one right now.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
But most of these are already sold so they won't be discounted. Plus with the shortages I doubt dealers or Ford will have any large incentives for 21's as they know they will sell. Who's going to want to wait months for a '22 to be built when there's a new '21 sitting there.

Like you I've bought many leftover ones the following year but times have changed. Heck just look at the used market I see no reason they'd discount a new one right now.
I don't know that most of these are sold. I know nobody in real life that's waiting for an ordered vehicle. Here, sure.

Most people don't order their vehicles. Most people buy them off the lot.

The ordered/contracted ones of course wouldn't get a discount.

Perhaps I'm living in the past, but I expect things to get back to "normal" at some point. I'd hope that to be sooner rather than later.

My post was under the assumption that lots would have both '21s and '22s on them.

In reality, the chips will probably trickle in. The '21s will get them first, and any '22s built will take their place in the waiting lot to be sold when chips arrive for them. It's likely that '22s won't hit lots till late in the year. Hell, maybe it'll be so bad that manufacturers will just skip the '22 model year altogether.

Likely it'll be something in the middle of those two scenarios.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I wonder....
They will be sold as 2021's. They have 2021 VIN's and already been counted in the 2021 production for tax and annual report purposes. The chips may be 2022 production for some or all of them, but that doesn't change the model year.
And yes, there will be Huge! Biggest sale ever! Employee pricing! While they last! free car wash for life! 0.99% 96 month finacing yadayada until they're gone. Also look for a stunted 2022 model year, as some rollouts won't get in production for awhile; 2022 Ranger Job 1 isn't until December 13th (hopefully) for instance.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't know that most of these are sold. I know nobody in real life that's waiting for an ordered vehicle. Here, sure.

Most people don't order their vehicles. Most people buy them off the lot.

The ordered/contracted ones of course wouldn't get a discount.

Perhaps I'm living in the past, but I expect things to get back to "normal" at some point. I'd hope that to be sooner rather than later.

My post was under the assumption that lots would have both '21s and '22s on them.

In reality, the chips will probably trickle in. The '21s will get them first, and any '22s built will take their place in the waiting lot to be sold when chips arrive for them. It's likely that '22s won't hit lots till late in the year. Hell, maybe it'll be so bad that manufacturers will just skip the '22 model year altogether.

Likely it'll be something in the middle of those two scenarios.
Heck look at all those Bronco's that were sitting (5000+) on dirt mountain. Plus there's a lot of commercial ones (fleet sales) in those pictures that are sold. I think the days of seeing hundreds of vehicles on dealers lots are gone and ordering will become the new norm now. Sure they'll have some vehicles for sale but having a full inventory of every model in every color I think those days are gone.:frown:

IIRC the new microchip plants being build here in AZ won't even open until 2024 so until we get thing built here I'd bet this shortage lasts at least another 2 years. Hopefully not but by looking at all the cargo ships sitting in CA and then add the labor shortages it doesn't look good for 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: