Intelligent Access not working

Rick R

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
You left out a step before the brake pedal apply....Cluck like a chicken... :) :turkey:

A bit of a back story... Ranger was selected as the platform to pilot Belt Minder (Seat belts) to get Fed Gov't credits before Belt Minder would become law... My engineer, Crissy R. found herself in the position to run the required vehicle testing. Since this was not mandatory it was decided to add a disable feature. So Crissy get the updates and tries out the disable. Do not remember the entire sequence but it entailed key in the accessory position...cycle the power door locks three times...step on the brake pedal three times, then flash the headlights three times (something like that) and oh...by the way...you had to do all this is less than 10 seconds. Crissy finally was able to get this to work, but drug me out to the test vehicle. I read the printed sheet supplied with the revised belt minder module and tried without success until I declared this flat nuts. Next day I tried again and did get it to work...just needed a bout 5 more seconds. Never could get the time change and we went into production. Process was in the owner's manual but likely few if any owners tried it....Sheesh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
This reminds me of trying to turn off the automatic door locks on my 2001 F150. I decided to do two things before leaving for an appointment shortly after getting the truck. I wanted to turn off the auto door locks and I wanted to change the access code on the keyless entry key pad. I checked the manual and the sequence for turning off the automatic door locks was crazy and I decided I did not have time to do it. I found in the manual how to change the door code, and next to that was a code to enter to turn off the automatic door locks. Simple and easy. I was so glad I found that instead of trying the crazy flash the lights, turn on the radio, etc. sequence but always thought the manual should have a note about using the key pad if available.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You left out a step before the brake pedal apply....Cluck like a chicken... :) :turkey:

A bit of a back story... Ranger was selected as the platform to pilot Belt Minder (Seat belts) to get Fed Gov't credits before Belt Minder would become law... My engineer, Crissy R. found herself in the position to run the required vehicle testing. Since this was not mandatory it was decided to add a disable feature. So Crissy get the updates and tries out the disable. Do not remember the entire sequence but it entailed key in the accessory position...cycle the power door locks three times...step on the brake pedal three times, then flash the headlights three times (something like that) and oh...by the way...you had to do all this is less than 10 seconds. Crissy finally was able to get this to work, but drug me out to the test vehicle. I read the printed sheet supplied with the revised belt minder module and tried without success until I declared this flat nuts. Next day I tried again and did get it to work...just needed a bout 5 more seconds. Never could get the time change and we went into production. Process was in the owner's manual but likely few if any owners tried it....Sheesh!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Whomever decided upon the sequence, their legacy continues.

Belt minder process on our 2010 Escape was similar. And the TPMS registry on my FiST is ridiculous. I keep a cheat sheet in the glove box with my initialization tool but I have to study it before the process evey six months when switching wheelsets.

OP
OP

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport trim 4 x 4, Hot Pepper Red, Line-X bed liner, Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover
I haven't had anymore problems since I did the reset. You do have to do it quickly, like within 10 seconds and I had to do it a couple of times before I saw the battery icon flash.

Rick R

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I checked after a few hours and the Intelligent Access is working on all the doors again. Hopefully it will keep working. Thanks again.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The intelligent access on my 2019 Lariat has suddenly stopped working on all the doors except the drivers door. Anyone else experienced this? I can lock and unlock all the doors from the driver's door, but nada when I touch the other 3 doors.
This exact thing just happened to me yesterday. Not sure why because I've been driving mine 60 miles round trip to the job I've been working on so the battery should've been nice and charged. It's usually hooked up the the battery maintainer but seeing as I was driving it a lot I didn't think it needed it.

When I went to use the IA on the passengers door it wouldn't work, only one that worked was the drivers side and you could tell it was a weak sound. Hooked up the battery maintainer overnight and this morning they ere all working again. Looks like the battery isn't holding a good charge anymore which is not good seeing as it's only 19 months old. Will keep it hooked up to life support until I go to the dealer for my last free oil change in the next month or two.

OP
OP

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport trim 4 x 4, Hot Pepper Red, Line-X bed liner, Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover
This exact thing just happened to me yesterday. Not sure why because I've been driving mine 60 miles round trip to the job I've been working on so the battery should've been nice and charged. It's usually hooked up the the battery maintainer but seeing as I was driving it a lot I didn't think it needed it.

When I went to use the IA on the passengers door it wouldn't work, only one that worked was the drivers side and you could tell it was a weak sound. Hooked up the battery maintainer overnight and this morning they ere all working again. Looks like the battery isn't holding a good charge anymore which is not good seeing as it's only 19 months old. Will keep it hooked up to life support until I go to the dealer for my last free oil change in the next month or two.
What I found is that when you hook up to a battery charger, the

OP
OP

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what I found is that when you hook up to a battery charger, the BMS doesn't recognize the battery being charged. It has an internal memory that needs to be cleared by the reset.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
@AzScorpion Dave, just a thought. I had the same thing happen on a F-150. Intelligent Access, nor the Remote start was working properly. I was the FOB battery that was weak. Easy enough to try, and cheaper than a car battery.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue, the Intelligent Access stopped working on all the doors except the driver's door after receiving a message on the app that my 2019 Lariat was going into deep sleep mode due to low batter. I drove it for over an hour on Thursday to recharge the battery and everything else went back to normal except the door locks. I tried the BMS module reset. The batter light on the dash did not flash three times until I started the engine. After that, the Intelligent Access worked on the rear driver side door but by the time I tried the other doors, it was no longer working. It is back to only working on the driver's door. I will confirm the battery is charged and try again later. I appreciate this forum. I don't know how long it would have taken me to find a possible solution without it. Thanks.

I have had similar issue. Since the cold weather. If I put a charger on it overnight the door locks all work properly but next time I try them they don't. I have not done the reset yet. Sometimes when I first get in I get a message about it being shut down to conserve battery. I think I read somewhere that the battery should be fully charged when you do the reset.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
@AzScorpion Dave, just a thought. I had the same thing happen on a F-150. Intelligent Access, nor the Remote start was working properly. I was the FOB battery that was weak. Easy enough to try, and cheaper than a car battery.
Jim,
Thanks, I'll try the other fob if this happens again to see if that works. I would think (yes that's dangerous) if it were the fob battery than after putting it on the maintainer overnight it wouldn't have changed the IA. It seems to be working perfect again today while we were out. Good thing is the battery is still under warranty so I'll leave it off the maintainer before bringing it in so they can get an accurate reading on it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Jim,
Thanks, I'll try the other fob if this happens again to see if that works. I would think (yes that's dangerous) if it were the fob battery than after putting it on the maintainer overnight it wouldn't have changed the IA. It seems to be working perfect again today while we were out. Good thing is the battery is still under warranty so I'll leave it off the maintainer before bringing it in so they can get an accurate reading on it.
HI Dave,

Your damper on the tailgate is causing a parasitic drain on the battery...price you have to pay for the damper install.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
HI Dave,

Your damper on the tailgate is causing a parasitic drain on the battery...price you have to pay for the damper install.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

I'll take my chances on getting stranded. You know me there's no way I'm giving up my damper! :p :bandit:

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking my Ranger is getting tired of this cold weather.âť„
Screenshot_20210220-210423.png

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I am thinking my Ranger is getting tired of this cold weather.âť„
Screenshot_20210220-210423.png
Either that or it's telling you he's lonely and wants to go for a ride. ?

You can easily fix this yourself by going for a longer ride.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Either that or it's telling you he's lonely and wants to go for a ride. ?
I could almost understand you going on a date with your truck, almost. :crackup:
Sponsored