mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Installed a Putco Lightbar under the tailgate. I attached the pinout diagrams for your use. The turns, reverse, hazards and brake work as advertised, no trailer detection warnings it syncs perfectly with the other lights. The only "issue" ( for some) I ran into was the running lights, they look better without the running light especially at night, it looks tacky IMO. Like a good dude, I tried to get the running light working for everyone else :) and alas I can't get the running lights to work like they're supposed to; with the running lights hotwired, I get both turn signals flashing( I tried and since I donā€™t really want running lights, I didnā€™t go any further)Also there is an issue with the Pinout diagrams from Ford. Big Suprise? No! I encountered the same in my 2018 F150 Raptor. Good news is that even though the colors on the pinouts are different, the titles are correct meaning that brake is brake and ground is ground, don't follow the colors. Also pin #9 on the RH tail is missing making it a mirror image of the LH tail and both sides have the same exact colors. I tried a bunch of combinations with the running lights even going to the side markers, problem with that is, you lose your brake signals. So to summarize, Light bar installed and mounted, left, right signal, brake, reverse, hazards with lights on and off work correctly with the exception of the running light. It looks very neat and complete to me, exactly what my expectations were. Thanks to @Neil S and a good guy over at the F150 forum for contributing to this for the dry run.
Install it directly to your taillights, only thing that goes to the 7 pin is the ground and reverse if you please, mine is on the driver tail.
Driver tail- Use Putco brown wire to red wire
Driver tail- Use Putco yellow wire to grey wire
Driver tail- Use Putco white wire to blue wire
Passenger tail- Use Putco green wire to Grey Wire
Ground to your 7 pin and cut the 12V wire 3 inches from the box and connect the other end to the 12V bed power, look under the bed/drivers side, there's a thread here about adding a 12V option to your bed, it is the same plug, the hot wire is the one that has a stripe on it, I can't remember the colors.
Had to slightly mod license plate and clearance is minimal between the mounting surface of the bar and the tailgate. I ziptied everything under the rear bumper. Again, very clean install, canā€™t see any wires and hardwired into taillights. Hope this helps if not many of you, at least one of you!

2019 Ranger Tail Light Circuit.JPG

C4483 Connector.JPG

C4484 Connector.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
mURmECH

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Attached a video of the tailbar in action!!

Last edited:

Neil S

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been trying to get a PUTCO LED tailgate light working on my Lariat since a March. Iā€™ve talked to PUTCO engineering many times and their pat answer was: ā€œWe are working on it.ā€ No timing available. After 3+ months my local installer decided to use his experience to find a solution. David (DZ Customs) looked around and found this isolation module from Tekonsha model 119178.

Well, everything works great with the isolation module. PUTCO makes a nice LED tailgate light bar but, in my opinion, they need to improve the time it takes to support new models.

This will probably be the same issue for any other brand of tailgate lighting that you try and wire into the 7/4 pin harness due to the BLIS and the side traffic collision avoidance system, unless they have updated their interface module for the Ranger. The main difference with the Ranger versus the F-150 is the Ranger has a separate turn signal light.

https://www.tekonsha.com/mobile/pro.../!FQHI|fPlggV5dvshDkncqbQ9RUm7K5fBe0B98sm!m4=

DF573B51-0DC3-4F83-82A6-CB5BD2B7E6CD.png

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been trying to get a PUTCO LED tailgate light working on my Lariat since a March. Iā€™ve talked to PUTCO engineering many times and their pat answer was: ā€œWe are working on it.ā€ No timing available. After 3+ months my local installer decided to use his experience to find a solution. David (DZ Customs) looked around and found this isolation module from Tekonsha model 119178.

Well, everything works great with the isolation module. PUTCO makes a nice LED tailgate light bar but, in my opinion, they need to improve the time it takes to support new models.

This will probably be the same issue for any other brand of tailgate lighting that you try and wire into the 7/4 pin harness due to the BLIS and the side traffic collision avoidance system, unless they have updated their interface module for the Ranger. The main difference with the Ranger versus the F-150 is the Ranger has a separate turn signal light.

https://www.tekonsha.com/mobile/products/electrical-wiring/taillight-converters/taillight-converter/!FQHI|fPlggV5dvshDkncqbQ9RUm7K5fBe0B98sm!m4=

Thanks for the research. :like:The light strip is on my list of accessories (to get) too and agree they should be able to work flawlessly with the new tech in vehicles,

OP
OP
mURmECH

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
I got the same answers from the Putco engineering department for the tailbar, and they told me it worked for the Rangers in the field whatever that means but couldnā€™t answer how to wire them on the Ranger. Huh? And they offered me a discount. All I wanted to know was how it got wired on the field so I could do it in my garage:) The Lightbar is awesome, thank you Putco but no thank you on the wiring instructions. Thanks Neil and David(DZ customs) for finding the isolation module and making it work. I know a few owners who like to drive without the running lights as I have it set up and actually donā€™t mind. However I am interested in the module and will be trying it out in the future. Neil, just a few questions, is your 4 pin on the converter cut off and wired from the back of the bumper?? Iā€™ve never installed one, just curious, Iā€™d rather hide the whole converter behind the bumper and make the connections to the Lightbar To the converter.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil solved this in another thread.

"Hi Folks,

I think have solved the problem!!!!!....When you plug in the SuperBrightLED strip to the 4 pin connector and get the BLIS and CVW are disabled....Go to the setup panel on the left of the display...Select Driver Aids and then select BLIS and you will see a setting for trailer...select Trailer A and press okay...answer the question of trailer width less then 8.2ft...the press okay...then the next setting is trailer length..set this to 3ft. Then complete the questions...now you have reenabled BLIS and CVW and your Tailgate LED strip should now work!!! This info is contained on pages 192 and 193 of my manual YEA!!!:sun::clap::)

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired"

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/posts/58419/
Thanks....But i found I do lose all the guide markers when in reverse. I rarely if ever turn my head when backing up. I use the sensors and vi;sual guides exclusively. So I guess my LED strip is a no go.....

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks....But i found I do lose all the guide markers when in reverse. I rarely if ever turn my head when backing up. I use the sensors and vi;sual guides exclusively. So I guess my LED strip is a no go.....
Hi Tom,

For you I concur... I do not use the display other than a confirmatory glance, so for me, it is not a concern. I do not trust the guide markers based on my 2016 Lincoln experiences... I had not noticed this yet, so tomorrow I will have to check this out!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Neil S

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX
Vehicle Showcase
I got the same answers from the Putco engineering department for the tailbar, and they told me it worked for the Rangers in the field whatever that means but couldnā€™t answer how to wire them on the Ranger. Huh? And they offered me a discount. All I wanted to know was how it got wired on the field so I could do it in my garage:) The Lightbar is awesome, thank you Putco but no thank you on the wiring instructions. Thanks Neil and David(DZ customs) for finding the isolation module and making it work. I know a few owners who like to drive without the running lights as I have it set up and actually donā€™t mind. However I am interested in the module and will be trying it out in the future. Neil, just a few questions, is your 4 pin on the converter cut off and wired from the back of the bumper?? Iā€™ve never installed one, just curious, Iā€™d rather hide the whole converter behind the bumper and make the connections to the Lightbar To the converter.
The converter is tied up behind the bumper. I installed the tow package harness with the bumper 7/4 pin connector. The 7 pin round and 4 pin flat are plugged into the connector mounted in the bumper. Iā€™d have to look to see if the 4 pin flat on module is cut off, donā€™t know why it would be.

Later
Neil

BlueHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Installed a Putco Lightbar under the tailgate. I attached the pinout diagrams for your use. The turns, reverse, hazards and brake work as advertised, no trailer detection warnings it syncs perfectly with the other lights. The only "issue" I ran into was the running lights and brake lights. I can't get the running lights to work like they're supposed to; with the running lights hotwired, I get both turn signals flashing if i switch to left or right. Also there is an issue with the Pinout diagrams from Ford. Big Suprise? No, I encountered the same in a 2018 F150. Good news is that even though the colors on the pinouts are different, the titles are correct meaning that brake is brake and ground is ground, don't follow the colors. Also pin #9 on the RH tail is missing making it a mirror image of the LH tail and both sides have the same exact colors. I tried a bunch of combinations with the running lights even going to the side markers, problem with that is, you lose your brake signals. So to summarize, Light bar installed and mounted, left, right signal, brake, reverse, hazards with lights on and off work correctly with the exception of the running light. I'm done hacking up my wiring for now. Thanks to @Neil S and a good guy over at the F150 forum for contributing to what is on the truck now. It looks amazing, just need suggestions/ or figure out how to wire running lights/brake/turns together. Seems like if it had one more dedicated wire from the logic box for running lights, it might work.
Install it directly to your taillights, only thing that goes to the 7 pin is the ground and reverse if you please, mine is on the driver tail.
Driver tail- Use Putco brown wire to red wire
Driver tail- Use Putco yellow wire to grey wire
Driver tail- Use Putco white wire to blue wire
Passenger tail- Use Putco green wire to Grey Wire
Ground to your 7 pin and cut the 12V wire 3 inches from the box and connect the other end to the 12V bed power, look under the bed/drivers side, there's a thread here about adding a 12V option to your bed, it is the same plug, the hot wire is the one that has a stripe on it, I can't remember the colors.
Had to slightly mod license plate and clearance is minimal between the mounting surface of the bar and the tailgate. I ziptied everything under the rear bumper.

2019 Ranger Tail Light Circuit.JPG

C4483 Connector.JPG

C4484 Connector.JPG
would other light bars follow the same set up with the 4 pin plug having the same colors? i bought the rough country light strip without the box and i was running into the same blind spot/ trailer connect problems. so before i try this you think it would all wire up the same as the putco bar?

OP
OP
mURmECH

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Never thought about it but I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t if it had the same colors, If I had it I would make it work, I kind of like mine without the running light, itā€™s there when you brake but other than that it isnā€™t an eyesore with the running light constant.

OP
OP
mURmECH

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Mine still works with the sensors and no warnings, I do find the OEM backup lines very accurate, I enjoy them backing into my garage and tight spaces, off course pending bigger wheels with more offset Iā€™d have to look out for the sides a little more. My Lightbar still works great as advertised, only lost functionality from the beginning is the running light which to me was a little too much over the top, and I didnā€™t have to use a converter, just the Lightbar itself, the other 4 functions work great. One important thing to note is the clearance between the edge of the tailgate and the bumper in the lowered position as it is very minimal, not even sure how I made mine fit lol.

Tumbleweed

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4X4
Occupation
Retired
I was going to do this exact same thing on my 2019 Ranger XLT. Did you mount this to the lip of the bumper? Did you use just the tape supplied? Thanks......

revbevis

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew Chrome Package

https://www.tekonsha.com/mobile/products/electrical-wiring/taillight-converters/taillight-converter/!FQHI|fPlggV5dvshDkncqbQ9RUm7K5fBe0B98sm!m4=

Where did you connect the Tekonsha wires to? Did you use the included wire taps into certain wires at the tail light?

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone using the Tekonsha isolaton unit cited above for a tailgate lightbar? If so do all the technology systems work ie. backup camera, cross trafic alert etc? What trim level ranger do you have? The technology pkg differs from trim level to trim level I believe.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited: