Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When I ordered a 2020 Iconic Silver XLT the dealer didn't take a deposit or even write up a sales order. Strange. Is that the way they do things now for orders? Last time I ordered a car was 1973! We just corresponded by email and telephone. Got all the details of the pricing on emails. Due to be built 7/20/20.
Hi Roger,

Dealers are funny about deposits. If the dealer knows if you back out of the deal he/she can still sell it with no problem they won't require a deposit in some cases. If you order something that is not a hot seller...probably a deposit is required, eg a Mary Kay Ranger in pink...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Hi Roger,

Dealers are funny about deposits. If the dealer knows if you back out of the deal he/she can still sell it with no problem they won't require a deposit in some cases. If you order something that is not a hot seller...probably a deposit is required, eg a Mary Kay Ranger in pink...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil. Didn’t know that. My build is kind of odd—2 wd, SuperCab XLT with 302a pkg, Tow and Locker in Iconic Silver. I’m sure someone else out there would want it if I gave it up. And since dealer gave me $6500 off, he could probably sell it for more now that most deals are gone.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi Roger,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
And in my case, the Saber Ranger. My salesman kept "encouraging" me to get Hot Pepper Red. They looked the best in, according to him, everyone's opinion. I don't think he believed he could sell it if we backed out. Funny thing though, I have seen two saber's, besides mine, in our small town. Not so "unpopular" after all. :turkey:

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
That is strange. When I ordered mine I had to put down $500 and got the printed out sales order.
I worked as a salesman at a Ford dealership for a year, it depends on the dealer and how customer focused they want to be. Some understand if you don’t buy it they will simply add it to their inventory and sell it to someone else. Others like to “lock” you in and keep you from finding a better deal elsewhere. The dealer has no control over the time line of the build. To prevent you from continuing to look and finding what you want much sooner than the anticipated delivery date some want to constrain you with a buy order. It also depends on how sellable they think the car you order will be. If it’s a popular build they may not require a deposit because it will sell quickly.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
And in my case, the Saber Ranger. My salesman kept "encouraging" me to get Hot Pepper Red. They looked the best in, according to him, everyone's opinion. I don't think he believed he could sell it if we backed out. Funny thing though, I have seen two saber's, besides mine, in our small town. Not so "unpopular" after all. :turkey:
Hi Tracy,

Sounds like the salesperson was inserting his personal taste on you...Glad you held your ground!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi Tracy,

Sounds like the salesperson was inserting his personal taste on you...Glad you held your ground!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I'm stubborn that way :LOL:

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
That is strange. When I ordered mine I had to put down $500 and got the printed out sales order.
When I ordered mine, we went through the list of options and then came to a consensus on the price. After we shook hands, I left. No money involved until I took delivery.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
So, today I got the front windows tinted to match the back and had the ceramic clear film put on the windshield. Had him do my wife’s 2017 Escape too. While he was at it he put the TVD letters in my chrome grill. Hard to see this. No Charge to do the letters. Nice guy I will use again for other projects.
I put the OEM Ranger door sill protectors on also. I got those from a forum member here looking to sell.

716FDE7E-81A5-44D1-B6CD-4C0A22BBAF9A.jpeg

5DE25BDD-0715-4EF8-8FD1-D48BDDA1213B.jpeg

402C5067-8699-45CA-964D-8143275E8FFA.jpeg