NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4; 2006 Jeep Wrangler X
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed these yet or waiting to install themselves? If you’re going to DIY, don’t forget to chock the rear wheels. Had to use a ratchet to pull the axle back forward to line up the driver side shim into place. Also, make sure to have the Ford shop manual for the rear springs as well. Icon’s are lacking specificity for torque.

Lastly, be careful when taking off the factory bump stops. It seems the earlier Rangers may not have had any anti-seize or the wrong grade of hardware used to bolt them to the frame. Twisted both off after letting them soak with WD-40 and other rust cutters. Now to find a shop to extract the rest of the bolts and hope I don’t hit my non-existent bump stops this week in traffic…

1B140EC5-634E-42AF-8DF8-3DDB487F3D84.jpeg

5A77A204-F23F-4C43-BD83-D11A359DD80E.jpeg
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
How do you like them. How do they compare to stock?

OP
OP
NC_LFX4

NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like them. How do they compare to stock?
Only have a drive around the neighborhood to compare them, but so far they seem to really smooth out bumps and potholes. I’ll update after I actually get a little more real world driving to compare them. I have them set in configuration 2, 1.125” higher than stock and leveled out with stock when carrying 350# in the bed.

For comparison purposes, I still only have BDS 2.5” spacer level on the front with the stock FX4 struts but have BDS NX2 shocks in the rear(incremental upgrades).

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
NC_LFX4

NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After about two months driving on these, I think they’re one of the best bang for your buck mods that I’ve done yet.

Wouldi do it again? If I knew about the ROW leaf packs when I did this, maybe not. If I didn’t know about those leafs, 100% would do this again…even more so now that I have an ARE bed shell for them to handle that extra weight while maintaining a nice ride.

Side note: learned something from a mechanic that does a lot of dealership work today, over the past few years Ford has started to send vehicles out of the factory with Red loctite on bolts that are attaching things to the frame. They explained this was why my bump stop bolts twisted off so easily, and said to remove them to heat a little with a propane torch before turning them. I’m neither a mechanic nor have I tried this, so take that as you will.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Side note: learned something from a mechanic that does a lot of dealership work today, over the past few years Ford has started to send vehicles out of the factory with Red loctite on bolts that are attaching things to the frame. They explained this was why my bump stop bolts twisted off so easily, and said to remove them to heat a little with a propane torch before turning them. I’m neither a mechanic nor have I tried this, so take that as you will.

I think their blue threadlocker is just as strong as what all of us would consider red. One out of 4 of my driveshaft bolts hung up so bad coming out I thought it was galled or cross-threaded from the factory. A little bit of heat softened the blue goo up just enough to get it out. Probably the reason for all of the 'one-time-use' stuff on the truck. They either get buggered up coming out or they don't trust people to put threadlocker back on them. I half wonder if it is some heat-activated stuff that kicks off when the bolts go in at the factory.

Cody Smith

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I broke one of the bump stop bolts off when installing my new rear leafs. I made a mess drilling it out and ended up cutting it out with a torch.
There is some access into the side of the frame I think if needed it could be drilled oversize and a nut could be used on the back.
A9F55AE9-D49E-4345-ADCA-7AE4083B9C8C.jpeg
E66FAA15-792D-40D5-90ED-CE8AAD4EB291.jpeg

OP
OP
NC_LFX4

NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I broke one of the bump stop bolts off when installing my new rear leafs. I made a mess drilling it out and ended up cutting it out with a torch.
There is some access into the side of the frame I think if needed it could be drilled oversize and a nut could be used on the back.
A9F55AE9-D49E-4345-ADCA-7AE4083B9C8C.jpeg
E66FAA15-792D-40D5-90ED-CE8AAD4EB291.jpeg
Ouch. I wish I’d known what I learned yesterday to post a PSA here sooner. Sorry that happened to you as well!

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
What are ROW leaf packs, Do you have any pictures of the truck once installed. What lift again on the front.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
After about two months driving on these, I think they’re one of the best bang for your buck mods that I’ve done yet.

Wouldi do it again? If I knew about the ROW leaf packs when I did this, maybe not. If I didn’t know about those leafs, 100% would do this again…even more so now that I have an ARE bed shell for them to handle that extra weight while maintaining a nice ride.

Yes, as an approach method for all body hardware, a little torch heat will break any locktite. Just don’t get carried away with that. A moderate amount is all you want. Excessive heat will draw out the temper of the hardware making it useless to reuse if appropriate.

OP
OP
NC_LFX4

NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What are ROW leaf packs, Do you have any pictures of the truck once installed. What lift again on the front.
I see @D Fresh already linked the ROW leaf pack. Here’s a link to my vehicle showcase. All parts are updated in there as of yesterday, the pic with the shell on back is the only with the Fox 2.0’s up front. The last side profile and one with canoe are after I put the Icon leafs on.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/nc_lfx4s-2019-ranger-lariat-fx4.517/

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I see @D Fresh already linked the ROW leaf pack. Here’s a link to my vehicle showcase. All parts are updated in there as of yesterday, the pic with the shell on back is the only with the Fox 2.0’s up front. The last side profile and one with canoe are after I put the Icon leafs on.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/nc_lfx4s-2019-ranger-lariat-fx4.517/
The Icons were probably in my future If I didn't stumble upon the global springs. Almost had a set of Tremor takeoffs here local that fell through.

I needed a multipack leaf with at least a little bit of lift to balance out my planned front suspension. The Icons would've been great, but the globals at half the price were hard to pass up.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Will these pair ok with just the fox2.0’s? Or is it bad to mix/match for best performance.

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Mine are paired with Biltstein B8-5160 (Remote Reservoirs) in the rear and 5100's up front as I did the Bilsteins as my first mods. The ICON leafs are a much better ride, (You dont get the.. Oh $h!t that was a bump/thump jarring like with factory mono leaf).

I did mine 6000 miles after the Bilstein installs as I'm working with a load in the bed, a flat bed trailer, and having a gorgeous stance for the Ranger. I am after the best of doing all three and will not to compromise.

I am going to ICON's 2.5's for the front and the rear though. It'll be interesting to see how they compare to the Bilstein.

Any upgraded shock that will allow for a lift should work well. Factory or factory replacements shocks will likely not be able to handle the lift of the ICON leafs unless you leave the ICON leafs for factory height. If you do Option #2 or #3 you will need bigger better shocks. A good idea anyway.

Open the pocketbook, it is the best bang for your buck!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Will these pair ok with just the fox2.0’s? Or is it bad to mix/match for best performance.
As long as the lift height does not exceed what Fox has the rear shocks set to then you should be fine. Will you get better ride quality? Possibly according to the review above. Could the performance be better if you had the shock valves matched to the spring? Absolutely and that is why I always recommend a kit over mixing and matching.
Sponsored