MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I have been waiting for the Putco harness for the tail light bar, and I finally found it. So I am thinking that I will do this for my next project.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09WTT1WPQ/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=ATRQ56T3H9TM5&th=1

I am still debating a few options but thinking about using the Amber for the turn signals.

The price seems a little steep, but what have anyone else done? Should I go with Amber or Red for my turn signals? Is Putco the best option or is there a better option?

Reply and let me know your thoughts.

The red rocks in the dark!
Sponsored

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I wanted one but there is something with my bumper that the tailgate will not clear it. I hate to order one at that price and find the tailgate hits it. The tail gate barely clears my license plate. Wish I could find it locally and test the fit before I put out that much money.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I have an electronics background, so splicing is something I can do, but I do not want to do it. I figure this makes it an easy project and not something that will take the entire weekend. Because you know after it is done, you have to drive around to test it (I mean show it off!). I am coming to the end of the upgrades/projects I want to do to my Ranger, so I want something that can be removed without having to fix where splices were.

My other project I am considering is the Hellwig add-a-leaf
https://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/?partnumber=1914
That one will require buying more tools (Floor Jack and Jack stands), the wife may not be happy because good jacks and jack stands will not be cheap (at least the ones that I will buy).
Hey, Harry, I am also considering adding-a-leaf, either with Hellwig, Icon, or other aftermarket providers. If you decide to go that route, please post the results. I am sure that other members would be interested as well. If it works for you (or other members), I will probably go ahead with the project, even though, as you say, the "wife may not be happy..."

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wanted one but there is something with my bumper that the tailgate will not clear it. I hate to order one at that price and find the tailgate hits it. The tail gate barely clears my license plate. Wish I could find it locally and test the fit before I put out that much money.
You can usually return everything from Amazon within 30 days so you should be safe from getting stuck with it if it doesn't fit right. I bought something a while back and it said no returns from the vendor but when I called Amazon they told me everything they sell has this 30 day free return policy. I did have her email me this just in case but I ended up keeping it.

OP
OP
lawrench

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Given the lack of clearance between the bottom of the tailgate and the license plate I'll be interested to see how anything squeezes in there. Looks pretty sweet though!
I understand, I get concerned as well about 3rd party accessories actually fitting on my Ranger. That is why I usually go with Ford Accessories or WeatherTech. But I feel this is from Putco, and they seem to have stuff that works on a Ranger. I have been waiting on their plug and play (no splice solution) for a while. But I found it here at RealTruck

https://realtruck.com/p/putco-blade-direct-fit-led-tailgate-light-bar/v/ford/ranger/2019/

So I thought I would give it a try. Then I found it on Amazon, and since I am a Prime member, free shipping and free returns. So I thought that I may give it a try.

On another note, the wife choked on what I added to the Amazon cart (added both the Putco taillight bar and the Hellwig add a leaf). She did question why I would want the Hellwig part, and she understood, but then I told her that I would also need other tools to install it myself, so she asked to wait on that, I agreed.

OP
OP
lawrench

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Harry, I am also considering adding-a-leaf, either with Hellwig, Icon, or other aftermarket providers. If you decide to go that route, please post the results. I am sure that other members would be interested as well. If it works for you (or other members), I will probably go ahead with the project, even though, as you say, the "wife may not be happy..."
After discussions with the spouse, I will wait on the Hellwig until either later in the summer or next year. But when I do install it, I will update the forums.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I understand, I get concerned as well about 3rd party accessories actually fitting on my Ranger. That is why I usually go with Ford Accessories or WeatherTech. But I feel this is from Putco, and they seem to have stuff that works on a Ranger. I have been waiting on their plug and play (no splice solution) for a while. But I found it here at RealTruck

https://realtruck.com/p/putco-blade-direct-fit-led-tailgate-light-bar/v/ford/ranger/2019/

So I thought I would give it a try. Then I found it on Amazon, and since I am a Prime member, free shipping and free returns. So I thought that I may give it a try.

On another note, the wife choked on what I added to the Amazon cart (added both the Putco taillight bar and the Hellwig add a leaf). She did question why I would want the Hellwig part, and she understood, but then I told her that I would also need other tools to install it myself, so she asked to wait on that, I agreed.
My greatest technique in tool acquisition. Wife wants X. I can do that! I just need ...

OP
OP
lawrench

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My greatest technique in tool acquisition. Wife wants X. I can do that! I just need ...
Oh, I will get the tools. I just have to wait. My only fear at this point is the economy and how scarce food will be later this summer. So we have higher priorities to stock our freezers first. Who knows, maybe the tools I need will be cheaper by then (probably not) but one can hope.

OP
OP
lawrench

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know how this hellwig helps out. I check the links and they are in Visalia CA, I can probably stop when I visit my cousin up in that area.
Here is a video from Hellwig and this helped convince me to go this route.

OP
OP
lawrench

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
looks like it goes right across the top of the L plate...right where my plate cover is and contacts the tailgate when its down.
I just checked my 21', and with the tailgate down I have 1/2" of clearance to both the plate and the bumper. That should be plenty for a LED strip. A bit expensive but I really like it.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Personally, I think the amber would look great!
Agreed. I would definitely get the amber since we have amber rear turn signals. Turn signals should be amber anyway. The US is one of a handful of countries in the world that allows red rear turn signals.

WolfgangVTS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I just checked my 21', and with the tailgate down I have 1/2" of clearance to both the plate and the bumper. That should be plenty for a LED strip. A bit expensive but I really like it.
For that price it had better come with the ability to produce fog like the one in the video…
EB40FADA-2DD2-4E06-A4C4-24D1945AC4A0.png

Then I could have a smoke screen for when I run from the cops…:LOL:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
For that price it had better come with the ability to produce fog like the one in the video…
EB40FADA-2DD2-4E06-A4C4-24D1945AC4A0.png

Then I could have a smoke screen for when I run from the cops…:LOL:
Don't know, I was behind two guys Vaping with the windows down, that looked totally like a smoke screen!
Sponsored