How much time is allotted for Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI)?

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I called my dealer and spoke to the salesman regarding the whereabouts of my Ranger. He said he will check on it after he returns from picking up a car out of town..... In our conversation, he told me that they usually take 2 days to do the PDI....he said they have to install the antennae, update the Sync, and "replace some of the things they remove when they ship them". Does this seem slightly excessive....2 days !?! I realize the Sync update may take an hour or 2, but 2 days ??
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I called my dealer and spoke to the salesman regarding the whereabouts of my Ranger. He said he will check on it after he returns from picking up a car out of town..... In our conversation, he told me that they usually take 2 days to do the PDI....he said they have to install the antennae, update the Sync, and "replace some of the things they remove when they ship them". Does this seem slightly excessive....2 days !?! I realize the Sync update may take an hour or 2, but 2 days ??
They called me at 10 am as it arrived on the truck...it was washed and ready at 6 pm...2days...hmmmm.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
it takes 2 days for them to fit the PDI into their schedule, not to actually do it

five bucks says they still don't lower the tire pressure or top off the washer fluid :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
it takes 2 days for them to fit the PDI into their schedule, not to actually do it

five bucks says they still don't lower the tire pressure or top off the washer fluid :rolleyes:
I won't take that bet :crackup: I will make sure to do my own inspection and call them out on everything they claim to have done (if they didn't). I told the sales manager about a month ago about the tire pressure....I wonder if he relayed that info to the service manager ? The sales manager said they get notification 2 days before it arrives....

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

Yeah...mine was 50psi..50...50..and 55..washer was 1/2 full..

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't take 2 days to prep it. E.g. - "Install the antenna"!! That takes about 10 seconds as it simply screws in. They also have to take the truck out of "Transit Mode" which disables some of the electronics including cruise control to save battery power while in shipment. This takes maybe a minute. In case you're curious how they to that (mine was still in transit mode so they had me do it while they showed me all the control settings), here is how:

Transport Mode Deactivation
  1. Turn key to ā€˜onā€™ position
  2. Wait for chimes to stop
  3. Depress brake pedal 5 times
  4. Turn four-way flashers on 5 times
  5. Horn will honk when out of transport mode.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah...mine was 50psi..50...50..and 55..washer was 1/2 full..
My tire pressure was 48 all around didn't check the washer fluid.

Reactions: Doc

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
PDI on my Ranger only took an hour or two. Two days is ridiculous!

Claudess

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My dealer said three hours. If it came in before 4:30pm heā€™d keep people overtime so I could pick up that night. They can also assign more than one tech to get it ready.

In the end it depends on how quickly they want to make the sale and how busy their shop is. Mine tires were perfect, truck nicely detailed and ready to.

WHIPPLD

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT / 2018 F150

THIS ^^^^^^^^

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
THIS ^^^^^^^^
Picked mine up yesterday. Tire presser WAS lowered AND washer was full :)
I must have a good dealer (bought my last three from them, so I guess we are "family").

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
When mine got delivered, I spoke with the sales manager within 30 minutes of it being unloaded and we set-up a time for the next day at 3:30....I got there at 3:15, and they hadn't even moved it from the day before...they did lower the tire pressure, but I lowered it a few more pounds to 31 psi...no washer fluid, but that's OK--I use the -25 degree stuff year-round so I don't have issues when winter gets here. Took about 2.5 hrs including washing it, but still had to wait on them.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to think most techs don't do a proper PDI. If they can't even bother adjusting my tire pressure what else didn't they check? Had my washer fluid light come on a few weeks after I bought it going through some turns. When I bring it back for some warranty fixes I'm having them redo the PDI with a different tech and making sure they actually do it.

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to think most techs don't do a proper PDI. If they can't even bother adjusting my tire pressure what else didn't they check? Had my washer fluid light come on a few weeks after I bought it going through some turns. When I bring it back for some warranty fixes I'm having them redo the PDI with a different tech and making sure they actually do it.
Blame the service manager, not the tech. If its not being done correctly, the manager obviously does not inspect what he expects. Ford reimburses .9 of an hour for the tech side and that also includes clean up. So, about .5 is allowed for the tech's portion. Most dealers pay the tech the entire time so there is no excuse to not do it right. Some dealers have porters do it to save money.
Sponsored

Attachments