How much of a deposit is required to order?

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I’ve never ordered a vehicle before so I am wondering what the deposit requirements are. What happens to for some unforeseen unavoidable reason, the buyer does not take delivery of the vehicle? Just wondering.
Sponsored

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
$0 No deposit was required from me.:wink:

If you don't buy it, someone else will.

Most deposits are refundable I've heard.

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
That is up to the dealer, I put down $1,000

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I've ordered many vehicles and don't recall ever placing a deposit. It depends on the dealer and possibly their impression of your reliability.

Reactions: Ric

LoneStarFlatLanders

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si - Sold my current car and waiting patiently on my new truck
It is totally up to the dealer. We are inking a deal with a dealer today for $0 down. My worst local dealer wanted $9,000 up front. I laughed. Shop the Internet hard for pricing. Here in North Central Texas we have over 30 "local" dealers. I sent bid requests to all of them and got 23 back. On an MSRP truck of $46,120, my offers ranged from $42,473.40 to full MSRP of $46,120. We actually chose the second lowest bidder because of their no deposit down to order.

Keep in mind that when you order a truck from Ford, you can have it shipped to any dealer you like. It doesn't have to be the ordering dealer. :like:

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Have very long relationship with my dealer. i always order vs off lot. Last one he said to order 2, one as sold and one as stock and take whichever comes in 1st and he would put the other one on the lot. No deposit ever.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
It is totally up to the dealer. We are inking a deal with a dealer today for $0 down. My worst local dealer wanted $9,000 up front. I laughed. Shop the Internet hard for pricing. Here in North Central Texas we have over 30 "local" dealers. I sent bid requests to all of them and got 23 back. On an MSRP truck of $46,120, my offers ranged from $42,473.40 to full MSRP of $46,120. We actually chose the second lowest bidder because of their no deposit down to order.

Keep in mind that when you order a truck from Ford, you can have it shipped to any dealer you like. It doesn't have to be the ordering dealer. :like:
How do you go about sending a bid request? I’m ready to preorder my truck now and first dealer told me 1k down now.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
How do you go about sending a bid request? I’m ready to preorder my truck now and first dealer told me 1k down now.
Check each dealer's web site for their internet sales person, or there is also a link on the Ford order site after you 'build' your truck.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check each dealer's web site for their internet sales person, or there is also a link on the Ford order site after you 'build' your truck.
Awesome, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

NY35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zamboni
Awesome, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!
Make sure to take your best bids and ask the other dealers to meet or beat them. Emailing dealers is definitely an efficient way of getting many competing quotes without stepping step inside a dealer before you're ready to sign the papers (besides checking the truck out in person first :)).

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure to take your best bids and ask the other dealers to meet or beat them. Emailing dealers is definitely an efficient way of getting many competing quotes without stepping step inside a dealer before you're ready to sign the papers (besides checking the truck out in person first :)).
I’ve called four dealers and got the ball rolling. One of the dealers said he can work on the price for me so I’ll keep the post updated once I hear back.

Update: One of the dealers has been awesome. Says I can stack the student discount and the x-plan as well as the $750 promotion. Going in tomorrow to settle the deal.

Last edited:

LoneStarFlatLanders

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si - Sold my current car and waiting patiently on my new truck
I do it a bit different. I haven’t negotiated a car in years. My bid request states exactly what I want and the fact that I do not negotiate. It also states I will only accept 1 offer from the dealership ever for this bid. So I ask them to submit their best bid possible. I’ve bought my BMWs this way for years and was surprised that it worked at Ford dealers too. My lowest bid was over $3,600 below MSRP and I never had to negotiate. It’s an awesome process and sometimes you are amazed at the deal you can get. If I had negotiated, I wouldn’t have gotten as good of a deal. I wouldn’t have even thought of starting that low.

Within a couple of hour radius, we have roughly 30 Ford dealers. 23 of them responded. The deal we accepted was at a small dealer near the Oklahoma border I would have probably never thought of contacting. Turns out they do a lot of Internet deals. They have 2 sales people. That’s it. Wow. And they gave me an incredible price.

I attached the letter I used. Good luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I do it a bit different. I haven’t negotiated a car in years. My bid request states exactly what I want and the fact that I do not negotiate. It also states I will only accept 1 offer from the dealership ever for this bid. So I ask them to submit their best bid possible. I’ve bought my BMWs this way for years and was surprised that it worked at Ford dealers too. My lowest bid was over $3,600 below MSRP and I never had to negotiate. It’s an awesome process and sometimes you are amazed at the deal you can get. If I had negotiated, I wouldn’t have gotten as good of a deal. I wouldn’t have even though of starting that low.

Within a couple of hour radius, we have roughly 30 Ford dealers. 23 of them responded. The deal we accepted was at a small dealer near the Oklahoma border I would have probably never thought of contacting. Turns out they do a lot of Internet deals. They have 2 sales people. That’s it. Wow. And they gave me an incredible price.

I attached the letter I used. Good luck.
Bravo! Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Ric

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Mine wanted 500
Sponsored