How much effort to close your hood?

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hi Folks,

My hood is quite easily closed with a firm push, but I prefer the 6" slam method. opened and closed thousand of hoods in my career at Ford Light Truck...the Ranger does not cause me any alarm.

Besr,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company, Retired
Agree with this method but the real reason for my post….

I felt so bad for my neighbor last week. He brought home a new mini and it is his pride and joy. We of course did the dude thing and looked under the hood. He closed the hood gently, it didn’t close fully and the hood was about 1/4” open. He then pushed it with both hands to final close it, nothing excessive IMO, hands spread and a firm push but it created a 2” dent. That should not happen!!

I felt terrible for him, we all know what that first ding, dent or scratch feels like. I’m sure his dealer can pull it but these cars today are not not as forgiving as yester-year.
Sponsored

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
just got a new 21 fx4 in early june. i noticed the hood hard to close. seemed like i had to get it about 6-8" high then push down with both hands to close it. mind you, i am just pushing it while its up in the air 8". and it closed fine. i then installed the bug deflector. seems to close the same. i put a hand on the lower portion of the deflector and at about 8", give it a good push down and it closes. no issues with that. i won't be adjusting anything under there as i am good with the way it closes. now lowering it to the safety latch then pushing down, that's a no go as that will prolly cause a dent. I will need to school my local dealer on this as i don't want to have to fight the dealer over their incompetence to get a new hood. LOL.