bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
Short time lurker, first time poster.

I was just at a dealer today and got a price quote for a 2019 Ranger XLT 302A Package and they quoted me $42,392 (Including Tax, Title, Registration) and comes out to $505/month at 0% (this is based off an estimate, but my credit should be worthy enough for 0%).

The truck is actually at a different dealership (same franchise) in the area and they said they would bring it over to their dealership for me. The only thing that strikes me strange is that they knocked the Dealer Savings (AutoNation Savings) down by almost half (See this link for truck in question). The website shows a dealer discount of $4,592, but they quoted it at $2,332 on my estimate. Does anyone understand why? I would say it's because of the 0%, but for fun they also quoted me based on incentives/5.9% APR and the dealer discount was also at $2,332.

zero percent.jpg
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

I was just at a dealer today and got a price quote for a 2019 Ranger XLT 302A Package and they quoted me $42,392 (Including Tax, Title, Registration) and comes out to $505/month at 0% (this is based off an estimate, but my credit should be worthy enough for 0%).

The truck is actually at a different dealership (same franchise) in the area and they said they would bring it over to their dealership for me. The only thing that strikes me strange is that they knocked the Dealer Savings (AutoNation Savings) down by almost half (See this link for truck in question). The website shows a dealer discount of $4,592, but they quoted it at $2,332 on my estimate. Does anyone understand why? I would say it's because of the 0%, but for fun they also quoted me based on incentives/5.9% APR and the dealer discount was also at $2,332.

zero percent.jpg
My opinion? That is overpriced by at least 5k - it is for a 2019 which is getting close to 2 model years old now (it will be in 4 or 5 months probably).

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 cents....

No, it is not a good deal. Your web link shows the "internet price" with every possible incentive, which is rarely possible. Run away
They are only offering 5% off sticker. Why has this truck been driven 102 miles? What are the incentives you are actually eligible for? Also dealers often get a spiff or "incentive" for vehicles on the lot for more than 100 days.
Unfortunately for the dealer, due to the the unprecedented situation the world is in, it is a buyers market.

I concur with the Moderator, well overpriced and they are not being nice.

Go to Ford.com and build a 2020 identical to your 2019.
here is the one you are looking at AutoNation truck

Here is one i built trying to be identical to the one you are looking at. Ignore the Acquisition fee and do look at possible incentives. $41,030

XCELLR8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Frontier
That is what I've been running into with both Colorado and Ranger. Then the sales managers get mad when I turn down their "great" offer. I think they are looking for the people with "sucker" stamped on their foreheads.

OP
OP

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
They are only offering 5% off sticker. Why has this truck been driven 102 miles? What are the incentives you are actually eligible for? Also dealers often get a spiff or "incentive" for vehicles on the lot for more than 100 days.
Unfortunately for the dealer, due to the the unprecedented situation the world is in, it is a buyers market.

I concur with the Moderator, well overpriced and they are not being nice.
Right, I know that I don't qualify for all discounts available so I usually just ignore them and focus on MSRP and dealer discount. After reading some other things and talking it over with family, we've agreed that this is too high for the age of the truck (it's been on their own lot, per Cargurus, for nearly 8 months).

They also priced us out a cost with incentives and an interest rate but it was only 2k cheaper than the 0% with a much higher monthly payment so we aren't even entertaining that version of the offer.

Should I even entertain a counter-offer? I was going to shoot for the moon by asking for 6k off the MSRP + $500 more on my trade (and I'd pay off the rest of the trade out of my own pocket, which would be ~500 dollars).

EDIT: I also thought about entertaining the idea of signing up for the Mustang Club of America and asking them to price it out with the X-Plan. Not sure how'd they react to that though.

OP
OP

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
That is what I've been running into with both Colorado and Ranger. Then the sales managers get mad when I turn down their "great" offer. I think they are looking for the people with "sucker" stamped on their foreheads.
It's funny though, because in my case, I have literal proof that it isn't a great offer right off the bat with them cutting out half the dealer discount for an unknown reason.

XCELLR8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Frontier
bkosh84 Your first reply I would give them a counter offer that you are comfortable with, it won't hurt. Your second reply, both dealers did the same thing by reducing their discount by half, I pointed that out to the salesman and he didn't have much to say about it. The managers are the ones making the call on the deals.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Right, I know that I don't qualify for all discounts available so I usually just ignore them and focus on MSRP and dealer discount. After reading some other things and talking it over with family, we've agreed that this is too high for the age of the truck (it's been on their own lot, per Cargurus, for nearly 8 months).

They also priced us out a cost with incentives and an interest rate but it was only 2k cheaper than the 0% with a much higher monthly payment so we aren't even entertaining that version of the offer.

Should I even entertain a counter-offer? I was going to shoot for the moon by asking for 6k off the MSRP + $500 more on my trade (and I'd pay off the rest of the trade out of my own pocket, which would be ~500 dollars).

EDIT: I also thought about entertaining the idea of signing up for the Mustang Club of America and asking them to price it out with the X-Plan. Not sure how'd they react to that though.
You should be able to do quite a bit better than XPlan on a 2019. I would ask for at least 8k off MSRP and/or a better trade. Seriously - in model years, it is old for a "new" vehicle - someone is going to have to eat that depreciation, and I wouldn't want it to be me.

If they are playing hard ball, I would look for another dealer. It is a buyers market for sure - if they want to move vehicles they are going to have to give some good deals right now. If they don't want to, they aren't going to be selling many vehicles.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

zero percent.jpg
I know this isn't quite what you were asking, but the most glaring reason this is a terrible deal is that you will be underwater before you even leave the lot.

OP
OP

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
I know this isn't quite what you were asking, but the most glaring reason this is a terrible deal is that you will be underwater before you even leave the lot.
I mean, it’s exactly what I was looking for to be honest, so thanks. My wife and I were already uneasy about the offer and that’s why I created an account here, so I could get a different set of eyes on what was given to me. I’m going to call them back with an aggressive counter and see how they react. If they refuse to play ball we’ll walk away.

OP
OP

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
So a fast update for people. The original dealer wasn't willing to budge at all on the pricing they gave me citing the fact they had to transfer and not much room to wiggle because of invoice blah blah blah..

So I reached out to the dealer that actually has the truck, and they were willing to negotiate a lot more than the other place. Still working on the deal but at least they were willing to talk.

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
That's about $5k overpriced around here. Dealer discounts on 2019's are running $4-5k, plus incentives plus 0% financing. You do lose $500 in rebates for the 0% financing though.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
So a fast update for people. The original dealer wasn't willing to budge at all on the pricing they gave me citing the fact they had to transfer and not much room to wiggle because of invoice blah blah blah..

So I reached out to the dealer that actually has the truck, and they were willing to negotiate a lot more than the other place. Still working on the deal but at least they were willing to talk.
There is a disadvantage to the dealer when they have to get the truck from another dealer (credit for the sale and cost of drivers/gas to transport), but that shouldn't amount to a large difference.

OP
OP

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
Well everyone. Here is another update (This is turning into a As The World Turns episode :LOL:)

New dealer honored the internet "dealer discount" and refused to budge on that but they are giving me $6,000 for my trade instead of $5,500 (Making my lien payoff out of my pocket around $525).

I asked to see the dealer invoice and they sent it, showing they paid a little over 39k for the truck (with all packages/accessories) and had MSRP stated above ($40,840). They are discounting it $4,600 dollars making MSRP $36,500 which is $2,600 less than invoice.

What do some of you think of the offer?