First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Any turbo likes colder weather/dislike heat, but I am impressed with the 2.3 in triple digit actual temps. Is this common across Ford's Ecoboost line or thanks to the Ranger being setup for towing and a bit of abuse? I believe we have a bigger IC than a mustang; an example of dealing with abuse/stress.

My Cobalt SS lost way more performance when the temps rose. It did NOT like 100+ at all. It wasn't exactly stock either so that may have been a bit of the problem.
Sponsored

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4, 17 Subaru BRZ Yellow, 11 Evora
Occupation
Manager
What you are seeing is the engine boost is not maxed out in normal operation. The ECU is a torque based ECU so it adjusts boost to hit a certain torque.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
What you are seeing is the engine boost is not maxed out in normal operation. The ECU is a torque based ECU so it adjusts boost to hit a certain torque.
Vs the cobalt that was probably running near full tilt to get that amount of power from the 2.0

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My experience is the same as the OP's. I think these engines are only moderately boosted stock. That is why a tune adds a lot.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
My experience is the same as the OP's. I think these engines are only moderately boosted stock. That is why a tune adds a lot.

Everything is retarded down for the sake of EPA numbers, not just the boost.

Why on earth do I need a transmission in 10th gear when going like 60mph. If they would have offered a standard 6 or 7 gear automatic transmission I would have got that. I lock out gear 8, 9, and 10 every time I get in the truck.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red

Why on earth do I need a transmission in 10th gear when going like 60mph. If they would have offered a standard 6 or 7 gear automatic transmission I would have got that. I lock out gear 8, 9, and 10 every time I get in the truck.
How are you locking out gears?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
How are you locking out gears?
Push the '-' button on the gear shift. First press shows the current gear. Presses after that lock out one gear at a time.
To clarify this is how it works with the shifter in standard D mode.

In S mode the +/- mean you have to manually press +/- up and down to move the gears a long.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Push the '-' button on the gear shift. First press shows the current gear. Presses after that lock out one gear at a time.
Interesting. I will need to give this try. I can see why locking out 10th and maybe 9th might come in handy for certain situations. Not all the time though.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My Focus ST stock would hit 23PSI stock as long as you weren't doing 20 pulls back to back. As the IC heat soaked it would back off to 16PSI. It was a 2.0 pushing 252HP stock. I upgraded the IC and tuned it and it would hit 26PSI all day long with near ambient intake air temp.

Being direct injected makes a world of difference as there really isn't anything to detonate until the fuel is injected right before the spark goes off. The ranger is well under tuned when compared to the RS or the Mustang, and even tuned less than the Lincoln applications, so that combined with the huge radiator, great mechanical fan, and reasonably sized intercooler makes things even better.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
It is temperature dependent. Below 40F mileage and boost drop off significantly. 50 to 70F it screams and over 70F seems to act normal. Now winter blend has played into all of this equation too. It’s also just my assometer’s assessment ?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I would say it could benefit from a larger intercooler to keep air charge temps lower during these hotter months. Not a requirement by any means, but if you want full power output during the hottest season, the juice would be worth the squeeze.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Just food for thought but the 10 speed has shorter more aggressive gearing because of that 10 speed it fits 10 gears in the same space another transmission like the infinitely inferior tacomas would have 6 for so shorter gears. It is not just 6 regular gears and 4 extra by driving normally and locking out the high gears youre gonna be driving at higher revs and an extremely inefficient shifting pattern. Its like the guys who drive in 4 lo in basic forest roads instead of just 2 hi or 4 hi.

Reactions: Doc

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Just food for thought but the 10 speed has shorter more aggressive gearing because of that 10 speed it fits 10 gears in the same space another transmission like the infinitely inferior tacomas would have 6 for so shorter gears. It is not just 6 regular gears and 4 extra by driving normally and locking out the high gears youre gonna be driving at higher revs and an extremely inefficient shifting pattern. Its like the guys who drive in 4 lo in basic forest roads instead of just 2 hi or 4 hi.

Locking out the last 3 gears has increased my city MPG. I also don't bog down on inclines or hills.

Try again.

Pro Tip: Actually try what I am talking about before speaking from a position of authority. Do you know what the average RPM in 7th gear is in a city area? Hint: not that high.