First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
why not the Tacoma again? the back seat sounds like it something that you need to utilizes your way.my wie wouldnt drive the full size either. warning I find the ranger missing from the driveway more than left for me
Lol...My girlfriend wants to drive my ranger (I really don't care) but I'm afraid this will happen to me!

Leo.c

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2018 Explorer Platinum
why not the Tacoma again? the back seat sounds like it something that you need to utilizes your way.my wie wouldnt drive the full size either. warning I find the ranger missing from the driveway more than left for me
I haven’t had my Ranger as a daily driver since the first week. My wife uses her longer commute to the VA Hospital as a reason to drive the Ranger. She claims it’s because of the better mpg.....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I haven’t had my Ranger as a daily driver since the first week. My wife uses her longer commute to the VA Hospital as a reason to drive the Ranger. She claims it’s because of the better mpg.....
I hate to tell you but it's her Ranger now. :wink::D

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
If you mean me I never owned a Taco I have been looking at them as a option. I like the way the seat folds down but there is not as much room for passengers in the back and that is what we are looking for. The Colorado and the Ranger have the bigger back seat and I think the Ranger is more comfortable.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I am still looking for a truck and have not decided on which to buy but I am leaning to the Ranger right now.

When I test drove the ranger the sales person when we got inside said you know I can get you into a 150 for less than a Ranger with more options because of the rebates. For a second we thought about it till my wife goes how would you fit this in our driveway. Then she goes I would never drive this thing.
The way the seats went down in the F150 would be great for a dog, one thing we liked about the Taco too was the way the backseats went down.
I do not get why Ford didn't do something better with the back seat of the Ranger. No fold down and no 60/40 split. It is one of my biggest pet peeves of the Ranger since we have a dog.. Would be nice to fold part down so our grankids could still sit on half and the dog would have a platform on the other part..

There is no way I could drive a truck that big because the truck is my everyday vehicle and parking a 150 would not be fun. I have to admit though It is still not totally off the table.

Yea the Ranger is the size the 150 was not to long ago. I drive a Colorado right now and see silverados on the road my truck is the same size or bigger than.

This whole leap frogging trying to outdo each other in cargo space created the midsized market. When does it stop?
It sounds to me like you’ve pretty much made your decision!

Leo.c

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Well, we went to another dealer and looked at a Lariat with 500a, tech package and tow package. they want $34,500 and offered $1500 more on my trade than the first dealer. That trade value gap might actually be larger, because they initially offered $7000, and when we balked at that, they reluctantly upped it to $8000. they did not even look at the car, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get that back down to $7000 if we went back.

This whole classic "let me talk to the manager" song and dance was rather disappointing. We've purchased four cars from this company's dealerships over the past 15 years, but I guess that counts for nothing.

The dealer last night inspected the car and came back with $9500, much more in line with what KBB and NADA show.

This is getting closer. Now I've got leather, adaptive cruise control, LED lights, etc. at a better price. I have to assume that the resale value of a Lariat is greater than the XLT also. Am I wrong about that?
The best way to buy a new vehicle from a dealer is to option it so they have to order it. Vehicles that sit on any lot cost them $$, and as such they try tooth & nail to not discount those, after-all, they need to stay in business, etc.

Here's a method I found that works very well for making offers to a dealer. Use something like trucar to get the graph of what people paid for a specific vehicle. Exact options makes no diff, but do this several times using various models and options (eg; lariat vs xlt, etc). The graph will show MSRP and the distribution map of "what people are paying". You can then calculate the % from MSRP into any place on the graph. The % will be roughly the same regardless of options chosen. So now that you have a % number, you can build your vehicle on Ford site using your zip, get the MSRP, and then apply the % discount you obtained. I typically will offer dealer a # that falls right in the middle of the graph as I feel this is a honest price for both parties. You can try for lower to see if dealer goes for it, but they should typically just accept the honest median offer.

Leo.c

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
depends on options.
I optioned my XLT well into Lariat territory.
I also decided to purchase a fully loaded XLT since the Lariat didn't offer a heated steering wheel and I didn't find the leather seats a compelling enough difference.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
That’s something only you can decide. Obviously you don’t have a Need that you are trying to meet. I’d suggest first driving a Ranger and then the equivalent F150. Ride, Size and Price will help you quickly decide.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
I also decided to purchase a fully loaded XLT since the Lariat didn't offer a heated steering wheel and I didn't find the leather seats a compelling enough difference.
I find leather seats to be miserable in summer unless they are ventilated. Not many vehicles in US have option for ventilated front seats.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I find leather seats to be miserable in summer unless they are ventilated. Not many vehicles in US have option for ventilated front seats.
Funny because for the first two weeks I owned mine I didn't have any seat covers on them and it didn't bother me one bit and it was 108 out. There aren't to many places in the US where it gets much hotter than here either. :sun: It's so dusty here I'd hate to see what cloth seats would be like. I do wish they'd offered cooled seats as the heated seats are useless for me.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Funny because for the first two weeks I owned mine I didn't have any seat covers on them and it didn't bother me one bit and it was 108 out. There aren't to many places in the US where it gets much hotter than here either. :sun: It's so dusty here I'd hate to see what cloth seats would be like. I do wish they'd offered cooled seats as the heated seats are useless for me.
Hi Dave,

I second the leather seats in the hot weather are no bother, but with my bum back, heated seats even in hot weather are great!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired