Help me understand this X Plan thing please!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at a Ranger XL FX4 online that I like that has a MSRP of $36,710. I emailed and asked for the X-Plan pricing plus any applicable incentives. This is what I was emailed back with:

MSRP/Sales Price: 36,710.00
Rebates/Discounts: -3,523.42
Sales Price: 33,168.58
GATVT (tax): +2,203.38
Tag & Title Fee: +144.00
Dealer Service Charge: +100.00
Total: 35,633.96

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've always heard from folks that X-Plan pricing is a pretty good deal and is better than what you can get at any dealership with their incentives and sales prices. I looked at basically the same Ranger XL FX4 in a different color at a different dealership with some accessories added on, WITHOUT X-PLAN PRICING, and this is how it broke down:

MSRP: 36,970.00
Discount: -3,885.00
Rebate: -2,500.00
"Good to Go Package" (floor mats, tinted windows, bed cover) +1,777.00
GATVT (Tax): +2,191.86
EFT Fee (????): +149.00
Dealer Service Charge: +699.00
Title Fee: +18.00
Registration Fee; +25.00
MVWR Fee (????) +3.00
Total: 35,447.86

The X-Plan looks like a rip-off if I can get what is basically the same exact truck in a different color with dealer added accessories for almost $200.00 less! Am I missing something here?

NOTE: I wouldn't pay that for the bottom truck anyways. That price seems too high.
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Few thoughts:
1) X-plan can be a pretty good deal. It is set by formula relative to the invoice price, so it allows you to get a below-MSRP price without any negotiating. However, because the price is set by formula, the dealer cannot change the price, at least on paper, and still sell it through the X-plan program. Thus, if they have a unit that they really want to move (maybe it's been on the lot a while?), it's possible that they may be willing to mark it down further than the X-plan discount.
2) Are the numbers listed for the second truck and actual offer? Or is it merely an advertised price that you're not going to qualify for?
3) A "good deal" is a relative concept. $3.5k is a pretty good discount off of list price, but it's still not a good deal the price is still above what you're willing to pay. What are you expecting to pay for your truck?

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Few thoughts:
1) X-plan can be a pretty good deal. It is set by formula relative to the invoice price, so it allows you to get a below-MSRP price without any negotiating. However, because the price is set by formula, the dealer cannot change the price, at least on paper, and still sell it through the X-plan program. Thus, if they have a unit that they really want to move (maybe it's been on the lot a while?), it's possible that they may be willing to mark it down further than the X-plan discount.
2) Are the numbers listed for the second truck and actual offer? Or is it merely an advertised price that you're not going to qualify for?
3) A "good deal" is a relative concept. $3.5k is a pretty good discount off of list price, but it's still not a good deal the price is still above what you're willing to pay. What are you expecting to pay for your truck?
Not 35K for an XL truck. (Even with FX4) Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I bought my new Mustang GT for under $28,000 out the door in 2014. Maybe my unrealistic pricing expectations are being based off my experience buying a five year older car.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Not 35K for an XL truck. (Even with FX4) Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I bought my new Mustang GT for under $28,000 out the door in 2014. Maybe my unrealistic pricing expectations are being based off my experience buying a five year older car.
List price for a "loaded" XL is $35800 + $1195 shipping and delivery.

I agree,, its too much, especially since they aren't listing X-plan pricing. May be they aren't participating dealers?

X-plan isn't always the best deal, but its the easiest to purchase. No stress, no haggling. This is the price, take it or leave it.

You can get the x-plan price by going through the x-plan website and building the truck you see on the lot. That should give you the price.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
List price for a "loaded" XL is $35800 + $1195 shipping and delivery.

I agree,, its too much, especially since they aren't listing X-plan pricing. May be they aren't participating dealers?

X-plan isn't always the best deal, but its the easiest to purchase. No stress, no haggling. This is the price, take it or leave it.

You can get the x-plan price by going through the x-plan website and building the truck you see on the lot. That should give you the price.
I have used x-plan on 3 new vehicles l have ordered new. I am not good at haggling so this works for me. I have always used cars.com when I have bought my other vehicles.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I've been looking at a Ranger XL FX4 online that I like that has a MSRP of $36,710. I emailed and asked for the X-Plan pricing plus any applicable incentives. This is what I was emailed back with:

MSRP/Sales Price: 36,710.00
Rebates/Discounts: -3,523.42
Sales Price: 33,168.58
GATVT (tax): +2,203.38
Tag & Title Fee: +144.00
Dealer Service Charge: +100.00
Total: 35,633.96

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've always heard from folks that X-Plan pricing is a pretty good deal and is better than what you can get at any dealership with their incentives and sales prices. I looked at basically the same Ranger XL FX4 in a different color at a different dealership with some accessories added on, WITHOUT X-PLAN PRICING, and this is how it broke down:

MSRP: 36,970.00
Discount: -3,885.00
Rebate: -2,500.00
"Good to Go Package" (floor mats, tinted windows, bed cover) +1,777.00
GATVT (Tax): +2,191.86
EFT Fee (????): +149.00
Dealer Service Charge: +699.00
Title Fee: +18.00
Registration Fee; +25.00
MVWR Fee (????) +3.00
Total: 35,447.86

The X-Plan looks like a rip-off if I can get what is basically the same exact truck in a different color with dealer added accessories for almost $200.00 less! Am I missing something here?

NOTE: I wouldn't pay that for the bottom truck anyways. That price seems too high.
First off, are you X-Plan qualified? Do you have a PIN yet?
Who is it that you emailed and got those figures from?
What does MSRP/base price mean? Is that the actual MSRP of the vehicle?
X-Plan pricing is based off the invoice cost of the vehicle, and NOT MSRP.

You really need to visit Ford's X-Plan website to educate yourself about the terms and conditions of the plan. There are way too many details to explain here without self-education.

My 2020 Lariat's MSRP was $38,845, using the X-Plan I paid $35,650 out the door.
Out the door meaning minus any applicable rebates/incentives available at the time of sale, but including all local and State fees/taxes. No person in his right mind is ever going to pay MSRP for a Ranger, a Rolls-Royce perhaps, but certainly not a truck.

Your perception of a rip-off is dependent on who is providing your these figures and if they know what they are doing. More importantly it's your personal knowledge of how the plan works.

I think It did damn well.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Xplan is pretty much a $100 over invoice

That is about how it works out. Here is the official formula.
  • X-Plan is a pre-determined price based on dealer invoice or A-Plan price depending on brand. The X-Plan price is noted on the dealer invoice.
X-Plan

FordDealer Invoice - (0.4% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee* (see sample invoice)
LincolnDealer Invoice + (0.6% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee* (see sample invoice)
*$275 Administration Fee.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First off, are you X-Plan qualified? Do you have a PIN yet?
Who is it that you emailed and got those figures from?
What does MSRP/base price mean? Is that the actual MSRP of the vehicle?
X-Plan pricing is based off the invoice cost of the vehicle, and NOT MSRP.

You really need to visit Ford's X-Plan website to educate yourself about the terms and conditions of the plan. There are way too many details to explain here without self-education.

My 2020 Lariat's MSRP was $38,845, using the X-Plan I paid $35,650 out the door.
Out the door meaning minus any applicable rebates/incentives available at the time of sale, but including all local and State fees/taxes. No person in his right mind is ever going to pay MSRP for a Ranger, a Rolls-Royce perhaps, but certainly not a truck.

Your perception of a rip-off is dependent on who is providing your these figures and if they know what they are doing. More importantly it's your personal knowledge of how the plan works.

I think It did damn well.
Yeah, I think they are putting me on about the quote being figured off the invoice price. They replied to me today with a cryptic answer. In the meantime another dealer just got back to me and said they would do the same truck out the door at $32,000, all in.

ETA: I have a PIN for X-Plan pricing obtained. I'm a MCA member. The figures I got for the "X-Plan" truck in the top quote came from the sales manager. They are X-Plan participants, according to Ford's website AND the sales manager. I'm pretty sure they did the pricing off MSRP and don't give a rip.

I'm awfully tempted at $32,000 out the door. I just need to get my wife on board. I even have a line of people wanting to buy my 1998 Explorer!

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
X-Plan shines the brightest when you're looking at paying near MSRP. It may not be the best option if you're getting end-of-year deals and such. Any Ford financing offers and rebates are still applicable. I was still eligible for whatever the discount-of-the-week was and that college student discount. If you get logged in the right way, you can Build and Price with X-Plan pricing active.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
First of all your comparisons are not equal. Any factory rebate is also applicable to x-plan price. I'm pretty sure the X-plan price is shown on the invoice for an ordered vehicle.. I ordered/purchased mine via x plan.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
X-Plan shines the brightest when you're looking at paying near MSRP. It may not be the best option if you're getting end-of-year deals and such. Any Ford financing offers and rebates are still applicable. I was still eligible for whatever the discount-of-the-week was and that college student discount. If you get logged in the right way, you can Build and Price with X-Plan pricing active.
All I know is that I paid $36,650 out the door for a vehicle's whose MSRP was $38,845
Do the math, Hawaii State tax and local DMV fees totalled $2240, I hardly consider what I saved remotely close to the MSRP.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is that I paid $36,650 out the door for a vehicle's whose MSRP was $38,845
Do the math, Hawaii State tax and local DMV fees totalled $2240, I hardly consider what I saved remotely close to the MSRP.
Guessing you probably got some discounts that you still would have gotten without X-Plan. My MSRP was $43145 without, $41558 with. In the grand scheme of vehicle discounts, it's really not that big of a discount. But the haggle-free nature of the transaction sealed the deal for me.

1584511562740.png

1584511512714.png

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Guessing you probably got some discounts that you still would have gotten without X-Plan. My MSRP was $43145 without, $41558 with. In the grand scheme of vehicle discounts, it's really not that big of a discount. But the haggle-free nature of the transaction sealed the deal for me.

1584511562740.png

1584511512714.png
Indeed, I did qualify for several rebates/discounts at the time of sale, you didn't?
Matter of fact, my salesperson found 2 of them which I did not personally find online, I certainly did not argue with him as to where he discovered them.
Being that my 2020 was special ordered, the X-Plan route seemed like a no-brainer. I'm almost certain that the dealer would not have budged much from the MSRP, at least nothing close to what I saved had I not used the plan.
Additionally, I specifically wanted a Lariat S/Cab 4x2 and nothing else, between the 3 dealers here there were just 8 S/Cabs, available, with possibly 5 or more on order. Just 2 of those were Lariats and both 4x4's, totally unacceptable.
Others may be enjoying deep discounts on dealer's in stock 2019's, but in Honolulu, we've just 3 Ford dealers and none of them either stocked or would have stocked anything remotely close to what I wanted.
I waited 3 years to own a 5th gen Ranger with how I wanted the truck to equipped, I was NOT about to settle for less.
In the unlikely event that I should buy a 6th gen Ranger, I'll do the X-Plan again without a second thought.
Sponsored