First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting read...only 15,169 Rangers sold thru April. Dealers here in SoCal do have inventory just sitting...most have 20-40 Rangers on the lots.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27358644/ford-ranger-pickup-sales-2019/

Through April of 2019, Ford has moved only 15,169 units of its new 2019 Ranger pickup, beating only the GMC Canyon (9374 sales) and Honda's unibody Ridgeline (9606 sales) in the mid-size pickup segment. The decidedly not-new Chevrolet Colorado has racked up 45,149 sales so far this year, while the segment continues to be dominated by the popular (and also not-new) Toyota Tacoma, 78,558 of which have found new homes so far in 2019. Even Nissan's ancient Frontier notched 24,479 sales in that same time period. For context, the current generation of Nissan's pickup has been around since George W. Bush's presidency.

We're not sure what the Ranger's sales lethargy can be chalked up to. The Ranger has been available since January, so it's not like it got a late start on the year. It's priced competitively with the newer stuff in the segment, starting at around $25,000 (the Frontier is a budget play that starts at $20,135). A Ford spokesman tells us there was a ramping-up period early on, as the company built up dealer supply, and further claims that Rangers spend less time on dealer lots (just 20 days) than the segment average. Still, we wonder if there is some sort of manufacturing bottleneck constricting vehicles reaching dealerships, and whether a limited supply explains both the trucks that reach dealerships being quickly snapped up as well as the low sales figures.

According to Automotive News, the automaker only expected to move 1200 Rangers in January, its first month on sale, which hardly clears up the picture. Sure, Ford needed to add overtime shifts at the Ranger's assembly plant to handily exceed that meager sales target, but given how hot the mid-size truck market is these days, those sales expectations seem weirdly low. But if Ford is speedily selling its Ranger stock, however limited it may seem, that isn’t necessarily a bad problem to have.
Sponsored

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting read...only 15,169 Rangers sold thru April. Dealers here in SoCal do have inventory just sitting...most have 20-40 Rangers on the lots.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27358644/ford-ranger-pickup-sales-2019/

Through April of 2019, Ford has moved only 15,169 units of its new 2019 Ranger pickup, beating only the GMC Canyon (9374 sales) and Honda's unibody Ridgeline (9606 sales) in the mid-size pickup segment. The decidedly not-new Chevrolet Colorado has racked up 45,149 sales so far this year, while the segment continues to be dominated by the popular (and also not-new) Toyota Tacoma, 78,558 of which have found new homes so far in 2019. Even Nissan's ancient Frontier notched 24,479 sales in that same time period. For context, the current generation of Nissan's pickup has been around since George W. Bush's presidency.

We're not sure what the Ranger's sales lethargy can be chalked up to. The Ranger has been available since January, so it's not like it got a late start on the year. It's priced competitively with the newer stuff in the segment, starting at around $25,000 (the Frontier is a budget play that starts at $20,135). A Ford spokesman tells us there was a ramping-up period early on, as the company built up dealer supply, and further claims that Rangers spend less time on dealer lots (just 20 days) than the segment average. Still, we wonder if there is some sort of manufacturing bottleneck constricting vehicles reaching dealerships, and whether a limited supply explains both the trucks that reach dealerships being quickly snapped up as well as the low sales figures.

According to Automotive News, the automaker only expected to move 1200 Rangers in January, its first month on sale, which hardly clears up the picture. Sure, Ford needed to add overtime shifts at the Ranger's assembly plant to handily exceed that meager sales target, but given how hot the mid-size truck market is these days, those sales expectations seem weirdly low. But if Ford is speedily selling its Ranger stock, however limited it may seem, that isn’t necessarily a bad problem to have.
The incentives will get bigger and bigger.
At up to $47k,it's not an inexpensive pickup.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A dealer near me in Charlotte, NC has 41.

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max
I thought Ford and gm were no longer going to release monthly sales numbers, only by qtr.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
IMO Most people won't travel to get a Ranger. If their local stock doesn't have enough choices theylikely go to a different brand. Enthusiasts order trucks. The general public doesn't. Dealers need 40-50 trucks in stock to be able to sell to a buyer who wants certain options and colors. . I don't think ordered trucks will show up until delivered.

The other reason I think it is slow is the price!!! Many dealers are sticking to MSRP. I paid $40K for my truck. Today I could get the same truck in a 4WD for $42K or less. As long as there are inventory mismatches the prices will be higher. In the Fall I expect to see $4000 rebates on leftover Rangers, I didn't want to wait as I had a $400 lease payment on a Lincoln I traded after 4 months, I would have been on the hook for another $12K had I not instead purchased my truck

The Ranger has always sold a ton of trucks and it likely will again when inventories match buyers

Mc Donalds sells a lot of burgers when compared to other FF joints..,,,That doesn't make them better hamburgers....
Sponsored

Last edited: