Sales numbers Ranger versus F150

passgas55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 chevy w/t
Has any one figure out if Ranger sales took away from F150 sales? Who is taking the hit? Chevy Colorado? Toyota Tacoma? Nissan Frontier? Someone has to be feeling it. Without looking up the numbers I think it is the Colorado from seeing the rebates on them.
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Tacoma will lose a few sales but not too many. Especially with a refresh for '20. People love Toyota. I was on the fence with the Tacoma and Ranger. It was a tough decision for me. The thing for me was Toyota quality with a somewhat old two generation that looks pretty much the same vs something fresh but no reliability data. I took the chance because I'll only do maybe 4K-5K miles per with the Ranger and did buy a discounted Ford ESP.

Oh, I forgot to add, I liked the Ranger road feel and ride over the Tacoma. The Ranger felt smaller, more nimble on the road and more car like which I liked.

Last edited:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
F-150 sales were flat for March (I believe down a couple thousand units).

Ranger only sold a couple thousand in Feb so not enough to make a valid comparison yet. Not enough units out there.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CrewCab 4x4 301A
I've been scouting several dealers and for the most part, the Rangers a just sitting and not moving. One dealer said with the Rangers high price and huge discounts on the F150's is a problem.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I've seen a lot of 2018 F150's sitting on the lot not moving. Once people compare the discounts offered or soon to be offered on the F150's it will be a hard sell for the ranger unless they want the smaller truck. I however, cant stand driving my F150 off road. Feels like a yacht in a kiddie pool...

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I've been scouting several dealers and for the most part, the Rangers a just sitting and not moving. One dealer said with the Rangers high price and huge discounts on the F150's is a problem.
Same here. Local dealer (very high volume) still has the original one that came in at least a month ago. Probably longer. They have a total of 8 now and haven't sold a single one.

Reactions: Dan

PhysSDK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I think ford doesn’t really intend to sell many of these in rural locations for now. If the ad campaign is a guide, they are primarily targeting 20-30s (millennial) professionals living in urban locations who want a commuter vehicle they can also use for home improvement and adventure sports. I’d expect the Midwest and South to be dead zones for a while.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Most people are dealing with winter, taxes, and the NCAA. Too depressing to be contemplating buying a way over priced bucket of bolts and tinker toys. Wait till spring, when the world looks rosey again for people to start checking car lots.

Max

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer
Same here. Local dealer (very high volume) still has the original one that came in at least a month ago. Probably longer. They have a total of 8 now and haven't sold a single one.
I already ordered mine at the end of last month but when i was shopping around (and i cant speak for other places/cities but here in the Miami area) It took a while before i could even test drive one as they would sell as soon as they would get to the dealer. There is 3 ford dealerships close to me and all 3 are always sold out of them. I would see the rangers posted on their site, id schedule a test drive, and before i could even go see it, it was sold. up until now, that hasn't changed much. If your lucky you might find one or two at some dealerships around here.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Nothing seems to be moving here either. Both dealers local to me still have their first two sitting on the lot.

TGinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flagstaffactionshooters.org
Vehicle(s)
Sold '96 Ford Ranger to get a '19 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
....I was on the fence with the Tacoma and Ranger. It was a tough decision for me. The thing for me was Toyota quality with a somewhat old two generation that looks pretty much the same vs something fresh but no reliability data. I took the chance because.....
I liked the Tacoma, but having had a Ranger for 22 years, I decided to take a chance too. Mine is shown as "in production" at the moment, but having driven the first one the dealer got, I'm happy with my decision so far.

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
I spoke to the sales manager of my dealer and his problem isn’t moving the Rangers, it’s getting them allocated to him. As soon as one hits the lot its gone!
However he says the Montreal dealers (biggest city close to us at 2 hrs drive, 1.8 million population) can’t move their stock.
I’m wondering if Ford didn’t mis-allocate stock thinking their customers would be “urban” and they’re turning out to be more suburbs?? (For Canada anyway)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I spoke to the sales manager of my dealer and his problem isn’t moving the Rangers, it’s getting them allocated to him. As soon as one hits the lot its gone!
However he says the Montreal dealers (biggest city close to us at 2 hrs drive, 1.8 million population) can’t move their stock.
I’m wondering if Ford didn’t mis-allocate stock thinking their customers would be “urban” and they’re turning out to be more suburbs?? (For Canada anyway)
I live in Michigan about 50 miles north of Detroit. My commute is about 55 miles one way, and I see about 3 Ford dealers. They have all had the same Rangers on the lot (with the exception of one) for about a month now. They tend to shuffle them around a little, but I'm pretty sure they are the same ones. Meanwhile my dad and I got ours at the same dealer, and they have sold 2 more after us. (a little further west in the same general area as my commute)

I suspect they are still new and people haven't yet come out of hibernation.

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CrewCab 4x4 301A
Went by the dealer today and they had a few Rangers that have been sitting for a while. Salesman said in stock Rangers are MSRP, no discounting.
Sponsored