Help! Lost screw from cargo light (3rd brake light)

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Rapid Red
In the course of my installation of the trailer brake controller, I dropped one of the screws from the cargo light (3rd brake light) between the bed and cab. I can't locate it/retrieve it. Does anyone know the size off hand?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to be a smartass, but did you lose one of 2 ? Just pull the other one and check it. (I have no idea if there's one or 2 screws holding it in place.)

OP
OP

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to be a smartass, but did you lose one of 2 ? Just pull the other one and check it. (I have no idea if there's one or 2 screws holding it in place.)
Yes. Problem is that my local hardware stores are terrible for fasteners. Couldn't find anything close.

It gets worse. The screws are not magnetic. I fished around and knocked it out, but it fell into a strange spot. As I tried to pull it out, I believe it fell into one if the small holes of the frame tube. I can hear it rattle as I drive ?.
I'm giving up for tonight.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Yes. Problem is that my local hardware stores are terrible for fasteners. Couldn't find anything close.

It gets worse. The screws are not magnetic. I fished around and knocked it out, but it fell into a strange spot. As I tried to pull it out, I believe it fell into one if the small holes of the frame tube. I can hear it rattle as I drive ?.
I'm giving up for tonight.
You say non magnetic but, unless it’s a nonferrous metal like aluminum a neodymium magnet will hold ferrous metals like stainless. Good luck!

OP
OP

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You say non magnetic but, unless it’s a nonferrous metal like aluminum a neodymium magnet will hold ferrous metals like stainless. Good luck!
Actually, some stainless is not magnetic. The other 3 are not - I tried. They may have slight magnetism, but not enough to pick up or slide.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE!

Went for a drive today to check out a trailer, and noticed that I was not hearing the rattling like I did last night. When I got back I ran my hand along the bottom of the frame rail and could hear it and slightly feel it as I came to this slot.
20210424_152217.jpg

When I got up under there it was dangling threads down. With a stick, I pushed it a bit toward the larger hole to the left, which I could get my finger through to recover it. ??

Voila!
20210424_152153.jpg

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
UPDATE!

Went for a drive today to check out a trailer, and noticed that I was not hearing the rattling like I did last night. When I got back I ran my hand along the bottom of the frame rail and could hear it and slightly feel it as I came to this slot.
20210424_152217.jpg

When I got up under there it was dangling threads down. With a stick, I pushed it a bit toward the larger hole to the left, which I could get my finger through to recover it. ??

Voila!
20210424_152153.jpg
Some people have all the luck. I'm glad you were able to recover the screw. If it had been me, the screw would have fallen to the ground and I would have run over it giving me a flat tire.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
When I was installing my weathertech spash guards, I dropped a clip down in the front fender. I heard the famous click click clunk when it fell inside. I tried to get it out and finally just gave up.

I haven't heard the rattling, so I hope it just wedges itself somewhere.

I actually dreamt about that afterwards, so I hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

OP
OP

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some people have all the luck. I'm glad you were able to recover the screw. If it had been me, the screw would have fallen to the ground and I would have run over it giving me a flat tire.
That's what I was expecting!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
UPDATE!

20210424_152217.jpg

Voila!
20210424_152153.jpg
:clap:

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Nice job recovering it. One time I did a stereo system install in my F150 and lost a screw in the dash. Searched and searched but never found it. I ended up using one from a spare collection I keep. 5 years later I went to trade it in and returned the truck to stock, wouldn’t you know, I found that screw then. The odds....I should play the lottery. ;)

OP
OP

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im curious how you have such good hearing to hear that screw in that position from inside the truck driving.
You would be surprised how much noise it made. Maybe because of the metal on metal, but it sounded like was in the cab. My daughter thought so, too.
Sponsored