First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Unfortunately the tractor I grew up on had a fuel line break and caught fire destroying it, and roughly 15 acres of hay field. My grandfather bought it new and never bought anything modern (even when he died in 2004 he still had a wood burning stove to cook on) so that old 8n must of had a million miles on it with very minimal maintenance.
Yea, his had more scabby welds, baling wire, rope, and duct tape holding things on than the original fasteners, but it still kept going. I never remember him doing anything to it other than patching things as they broke.
Sponsored

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Yea, his had more scabby welds, baling wire, rope, and duct tape holding things on than the original fasteners, but it still kept going. I never remember him doing anything to it other than patching things as they broke.
You mean they didn't debate over which oil to use in it, how often to change it, or have walnut blasting done regularly and graphene the paint? ? How did these things ever survive? :rolleyes:

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
You mean they didn't debate over which oil to use in it, how often to change it, or have walnut blasting done regularly and graphene the paint? ? How did these things ever survive? :rolleyes:
Surely they bitched about the transmission...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Biggest complaint was that there was no place to install a damper :crying:

And to OP @Crow_of_judgement , your Ranger will barely know it was there.

I recently bought a Jeep and hauled it through the mountains of North Carolina on a U-Haul trailer.

The Ranger pulled it effortlessly.

IMG_1994.jpeg

Last edited:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
What are the chances someone here has rented a uhaul trailer to haul a farm tractor? I'm buying a new to me tractor and the deck on my equipment trailer has rotted out. Said tractor only was 2800lbs and according to my measurements it will fit on a uhaul car hauler
I towed my FJ40 on the Uhaul transport with no issues for a total weight, with trailer, of about 6,000 to 6,600 pounds. The FJ is about 4,000 pounds of that.

It was way too tongue heavy though because the Land Cruiser is so short BUT It hauled fine at 60 MPH, the Ranger had no hesitation at all.

If you can. try to keep the tongue weight appropriate (but the transport I had didn't have a way to push the FJ farther back). I also should have raised the ball mount more, but that was after the fact and there was no way the transport's tongue jack could have lifted it enough to make that change.

Update: remember to click the tow button.

tojo-trailered.jpg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Piece of cake for the Ranger. But don't tell UHaul. They can occasionally get weird about those trailers. So if they ask make up a car make/model.
Yes! I may, or may not, have said I was towing a Scion xA ....

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Walnut blasting? Graphene!!!

1676470632786.png

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
As long as you can safely load/secure/unload it on that trailer it should work fine. Good thing about U-Haul trailers are they have the surge brakes, so you don't have to have the brake controller to tow more than 1,650lb. Only thing to watch out for is tongue weight, Ranger's limit on paper is 750lb and the U-Haul car trailer is not designed for positioning the load forward or back, just put the front wheel to the stop and strap it there. If the tractor has a short wheelbase, or just really front heavy, it could put too much weight at the front of the trailer using the "U-Haul" approved securing method.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I'll take some when I pick it up it's nothing fancy, just an 8n ford. I grew up cutting hay on one and am at that age where I want some of the old memories back.
My father bought a similar vintage fod tractor in 1986 and rebuilt the engine. so I grew up using the bucket, the PTO and he even had a snow plow fitted the the bucket arms. a few found memories, and watching people raise their eyebrows as I learned to drive with 3 brakes, 2 gas levers(pedal, and lever) a clutch plus the hydraulics is lots of fun.

unless i needed a tractor I would get a modern one, where manually applying brakes per wheel to get out of a ditch or rut isn't necessary.

OP
OP
Crow_of_judgement

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
I forgot to update this, I went and looked at the tractor and it ended up being a 2n rather than an 8n with a nasty rod knock and next to no oil pressure. Suffice to say I passed on it.
Sponsored